• Yes

Votes: 834 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 212 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it is illegal in his country he could be worried about backlash against his family anything , I’ll bet no one here complaining lives in any of these country’s so we don’t know what it’s like like I said yesterday different story if he was out in the open abusing people , reading some of these comments it’s just another excuse for people to try and out do each other with there fake fume

It isn't fake fume mate.

The laws of his own country are quite immaterial. If slavery was acceptable in Senegal, we wouldn't be happy if he refused to condemn it.

The fact is he lives and works in a society where equality and rights are something we are striving to ensure are respected by all. Having a high profile figure refuse to support it undermines it.

There is no law which he says he has to, but there's no law that says we have to employ someone in his position.

Frankly, as good as he was for us, even if you want to debate the intricacies of this argument forever, the fact is that at 32, nearly 33, he isn't good enough to justify all of the negative publicity that would come along with this, quite apart from me thinking that his views here should preclude him from employment at Everton.

Yes ... positive opinions about rape, murder, genocide, kiddie fiddling etc. In other things I wait for somebody to be guilty of a crime rather than having opinions. We are not thought police.
Absolutely and so am I. I think your answer demonstrates that this issue like many others requires far more thought than just "they're entitled to their beliefs".

It’s a no from me. 33 and no guarantees he’s gonna be anything like the player he was first time round. Be arsed wasting another loan spot on someone who’s not guaranteed to improve us.

This is my feeling to be honest.
We’ll never know how that conversation went down.

‘Gana mate we’re all wearing rainbow laces to support LGBTQ+ rights’
‘Ok I have no problem with that but I’m going to not participate myself as I don’t feel strongly about the situation and it’s a taboo subject in my country’

‘Gana mate we’re all wearing rainbow laces to support LGBTQ+ rights’
‘F those **** they will all go to hell for their life choices’

Who knows what really happened?
whomever:- 'we feel the time is right to promote equality and show a united front against harassment and worse based on any individuals sexuality so the entire league is wearing the rainbow laces to make a statement'
IGG - 'yeah I'm well onside with that, after all I've seen the Islamic-boogey-man utilized both here and in the UK to cast hate against all muslims, the thing is though my brothers* and nieces* and nephews* are in Senegal and if I show support for this I could be jeopardizing them at the hands of the crazies there, I wont make a fuss, but I'll miss out for a game so as not to bring it to a head..."

*no idea if he has brothers nieces or nephews, could just as easy be grandparents, sisters and uncles...

I'm not equating anything with anything. I asked a question to a person who says they believe that we should respect a person's right to their beliefs and essentially asked where do we draw the line. It is not useful to centre your thoughts on an issue like this on the axiom that all beliefs must be tolerated despite the content and implications of those beliefs.
My point was that I think you're drawing that absolute line too far out here, in a manner that is likely to be self-defeating.

I believe in equal rights. I don't believe in forcing anyone to wear anything on their shirt...and that includes sponsorship. We do that anyway, with the attendant conflicts over what is right and proper to have on a shirt, and we end up just dividing ourselves along fault lines that don't have to be there.

Just don’t think we should go back ever. Let’s look forward, we haven’t achieved anything for so long there are no current footballers around that we have had that could help change this. They couldn’t the first time around so why now?

Total lack of imagination and I bet it’s a load of horse manure. Lazy journalism and if it’s true, lazy scouting. But I doubt it is true.

What do you mean belief/believe in? Since when were LGBT people some kind of mythical thing like Bigfoot? They’re people just like everyone else.

And yes if he wants to be a disgusting bigot then his work opportunities should be effected.

He hasn't said anything himself though at all has he? . The whole missing a game, while I believe it to be likely true as it has happened twice possibly?, was all media conjecture. I dont share the same view that he alledgedly has but at the same time people are entitled to their opinions. It's when someone's opinion, turns into an action and harms someone that it becomes an issue. whether it to be with LGBT or even along the linee religion, believe what you like if it makes you happy or how you see it just do not project it onto others and try to force them to share that view.

Just to the bit in bold, two key points I think;

1. nobody in any job should be forced to be a part of a campaign or cause they do not believe in. Whether they are right or wrong in anyones eyes. So if you are saying his work opportunities should be effected, take into account that the whole thing should have been optional anyway. I may be wrong but I think Rainbow laces wasn't forced upon every single player? they chose to or not.

2. Has he actually said anything at all on the matter? Because from what I can see (and maybe ive missed something) it has all been media talk.

It isn't fake fume mate.

The laws of his own country are quite immaterial. If slavery was acceptable in Senegal, we wouldn't be happy if he refused to condemn it.

The fact is he lives and works in a society where equality and rights are something we are striving to ensure are respected by all. Having a high profile figure refuse to support it undermines it.

There is no law which he says he has to, but there's no law that says we have to employ someone in his position.

Frankly, as good as he was for us, even if you want to debate the intricacies of this argument forever, the fact is that at 32, nearly 33, he isn't good enough to justify all of the negative publicity that would come along with this, quite apart from me thinking that his views here should preclude him from employment at Everton.
It is a fake fume for 95 per cent of these people .Have you seen what happens to people in Africa if there even suspected of being gay thrown off building etc I’d be worried for my family if things like that happen ,but of course some lad who’s probably never done anything in there life to help any of the charity’s and most Probaly lives in a country where they don’t have to worry about any of these things knows better and isn’t scared to tell everyone either.

It isn't fake fume mate.

if he supports it publically he will never be able to go home, his family will have to disown him & they might get some issues none the less. he'd also be banned from international footy.

It's not that simple.

He might be fuming that the LGBTQ++ community stole the rainbow flag from the christian church as a symbol.

My point was that I think you're drawing that absolute line too far out here, in a manner that is likely to be self-defeating.

I believe in equal rights. I don't believe in forcing anyone to wear anything on their shirt...and that includes sponsorship. We do that anyway, with the attendant conflicts over what is right and proper to have on a shirt, and we end up just dividing ourselves along fault lines that don't have to be there.
Neither do I and that's not what has happened here. As soon as you make a decision either way on something like this it reveals an attitude and I believe that those attitudes should be scrutinized and criticised if they clash with basic, fundamental beliefs like equality for example.

A lot of this is hypothetical though because we don't actually know what happened or what IGG's beliefs are. That's why I'm going to leave this discussion where it is now

Neither do I and that's not what has happened here. As soon as you make a decision either way on something like this it reveals an attitude and I believe that those attitudes should be scrutinized and criticised if they clash with basic, fundamental beliefs like equality for example.

A lot of this is hypothetical though because we don't actually know what happened or what IGG's beliefs are. That's why I'm going to leave this discussion where it is now
Fair enough, and as you say we can only infer so much from what is known about the circumstances.

At this point, with the lack of midfield options, the chance to get back the best DM we have had in a long time is appealing. Not young anymore, but neither was Gareth Barry.

I dont really care about his personal opinions, or what anyone thinks of them. They're his opinions, not Everton's, or the fans.

We are badly lacking quality in the centre of the park, and even if this lad was just to come for 1 season, he improves our options. I'd take him back.

if he supports it publically he will never be able to go home, his family will have to disown him & they might get some issues none the less. he'd also be banned from international footy.

It's not that simple.

So we are certain that this is the reason?

The reason I ask is that the President of Senegal said that Gueye's "religious beliefs must be respected"

Status
Not open for further replies.