2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok maybe he’s better than that. But the point still stands. If your best player is a hardworking midfielder, who wins the ball and presses the opposition. But doesn’t offer much else, then you will never get anywhere as a team

Dunno, Leicester did alright.

Yeh, they had Mahrez and Vardy starring too, but Kante made that team click.

I'm OK with this as a "business model"-type transfer; Gueye's stats over his time at the club are fantastic, but he is soon to turn 30.

His stock will never be higher than it as right now; we've managed to get the optimum fee for a player who served us well during his time here.

As long as the money is reinvested sharpishly, I'm totally fine with this transfer.

Nope. He had plenty of critics for his passing.

But that improved over his time with us. And the stats back it up.

He completed more passes and more passes in the opposition half than any of our players last season. His passing avgs were well up in the 80s most games.

He had his limitations, definitely. Problems usually came about when we had to rely on him to be our playmaker. But that doesn't make him a bad passer. He just wasn't a player to dictate a game.

Shooting. Heading. That’s what I was largely thinking of. But yeah until the last 6 months when he had to keep PSG interested, and his performances went next level, his passing wasn’t (IMO) in the top 5 of the team.

Shooting. Heading. That’s what I was largely thinking of. But yeah until the last 6 months when he had to keep PSG interested, and his performances went next level, his passing wasn’t (IMO) in the top 5 of the team.

I mean, he's a defensive mid whose job was to get about and then quickly recycle possession. He was never tasked with winning headers really (it's very rare a ball is dropped onto a defensive mid's head).

His shooting was poor but again - a defensive mid shouldn't be the player shooting.

Thank you. A 100% player
Good luck and look forward to facing you in the champions league next year

EAtf-qnXYAATsB2

Who is bloody cutting onions at this time of the morning

...inevitable, but whether this is a good deal is now dependent on who we bring in as replacement. The right player could provide greater attacking dimension, power and pace to our midfield. Time will tell, but Gueye was a terrific signing by Steve Walsh (to be fair).

I mean, he's a defensive mid whose job was to get about and then quickly recycle possession. He was never tasked with winning headers really (it's very rare a ball is dropped onto a defensive mid's head).

His shooting was poor but again - a defensive mid shouldn't be the player shooting.

If you really believe anything youve said there then fair dos to you. I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.