Howard Kendall

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele

Player Valuation: £8m
I hope you all have seen Snodins interview with Kendall on Evertontv. Only part one for now on, but it's very interesting. Snodin, he's a clever host, let's Kendall give his view of his playing carriere and how he got into management. This series will be Kendalls contribution to Everton history. Just loved the first episode.

Typical Kendall. Doesn't shout from the rooftops about how good, no, how he was one of the greatest midfielders of the age, but never got the recognition. Kendall was Catterick's brains on the pitch and was the player that made Everton tick over, and it was no wonder he went on to be our most successful manager. A truly great player who was Everton through and through and carried us for 2 seasons, with some world class performances on the pitch. Even agreeing to go to Birmingham because we need a striker and Birmingham wanted him.

One of the worse English football decisions was that Kendall never played at international level. And when Ramsey said to him at Birmingham he 'never knew how good he was'. Kendall retorted 'maybe if you had come to see me play, you would have found out'.

I was fortunate enough to see him and I echo 'hullefc' sentiments. He even made a few appearances as player manager and you could still see how clever a footballer he was even then. He was a great player and great manager and hats off to Catterick for beating Liverpool to his signature.

It was the chemistry [c FIFA 15] - Kendall, Ball, Labone, Whittle, Wilson, West, Royle, Morrisey, and each and every one - they were all great because they understood each other. Saw some great home games in 69-70 season and they were such fun to watch. Remember when Leeds were great : ? Until 20 August 1969. Is it too late to ask to put the curved walls back behind the goals? Oops! and Harvey

Last edited:

Typical Kendall. Doesn't shout from the rooftops about how good, no, how he was one of the greatest midfielders of the age, but never got the recognition. Kendall was Catterick's brains on the pitch and was the player that made Everton tick over, and it was no wonder he went on to be our most successful manager. A truly great player who was Everton through and through and carried us for 2 seasons, with some world class performances on the pitch. Even agreeing to go to Birmingham because we need a striker and Birmingham wanted him.

One of the worse English football decisions was that Kendall never played at international level. And when Ramsey said to him at Birmingham he 'never knew how good he was'. Kendall retorted 'maybe if you had come to see me play, you would have found out'.
I was only a kid when Howard left but I believe the biggest debt we owed him according to my old man was maybe 1972-73 season?,Cattericks health was failing,the championship team had virtually disintegrated,but Kendall was a shining beacon and single handedly kept us in the division on his own.(PS,I do remember his cameo appearances as a player manager in the early 1980's and again he stood out and I remember thinking I wished I'd have seen him in his pomp)

I was only a kid when Howard left but I believe the biggest debt we owed him according to my old man was maybe 1972-73 season?,Cattericks health was failing,the championship team had virtually disintegrated,but Kendall was a shining beacon and single handedly kept us in the division on his own.(PS,I do remember his cameo appearances as a player manager in the early 1980's and again he stood out and I remember thinking I wished I'd have seen him in his pomp)

He was special and together with Bally and King Colin, the Holy Trinity were unreal, unsurpassed in my opinion as the best midfield trio ever to play in this country. As others have said, how Kendall went uncapped is a travesty as was Harvey only getting a cameo international career.
Alf Ramsey may have won a World Cup, but his selection processes see flawed. I still cannot fathom why, apart from the West Ham connection how Jimmy Greaves never got the chance he certainly deserved to have had in '66.

Would be interesting to know Howards views on the Holy Trinity against our midfield quartet in 1985,I never had the pleasure of seeing Ball,Harvey,Kendall,but Howard is spot on about balance,that midfield with Reidy the little ratter in the middle,Brace who could give it long or short and had a fantastic engine,Tricky and Sheeds wide with their grace and poise,best Everton midfield I have ever seen IMHO.

He was special and together with Bally and King Colin, the Holy Trinity were unreal, unsurpassed in my opinion as the best midfield trio ever to play in this country. As others have said, how Kendall went uncapped is a travesty as was Harvey only getting a cameo international career.
Alf Ramsey may have won a World Cup, but his selection processes see flawed. I still cannot fathom why, apart from the West Ham connection how Jimmy Greaves never got the chance he certainly deserved to have had in '66.

....I suppose Ramsey could argue that the best players don't necessarily make the best team. Bobby Styles, Roger Hunt and even big Jack might not have been the best but they ultimately were part of the best team in World Football. Getting back to Kendall, he was certainly worth a number of international caps.

1 cap for Colin Harvey...Malta away!!!

Would be interesting to know Howards views on the Holy Trinity against our midfield quartet in 1985,I never had the pleasure of seeing Ball,Harvey,Kendall,but Howard is spot on about balance,that midfield with Reidy the little ratter in the middle,Brace who could give it long or short and had a fantastic engine,Tricky and Sheeds wide with their grace and poise,best Everton midfield I have ever seen IMHO.

Trio versus quartet mate, both supreme in their respective eras and I'd even be tempted to suggest that any of those seven players could easily have interchanged into any 3 or 4 man combination. We have been blessed in the past and God willing, we will be so blessed again, and soon.

....I suppose Ramsey could argue that the best players don't necessarily make the best team. Bobby Styles, Roger Hunt and even big Jack might not have been the best but they ultimately were part of the best team in World Football. Getting back to Kendall, he was certainly worth a number of international caps.

Fully accept that argument, it is a team game, but Greaves was -to coin a phrase we know only too well- phenomenal.

Trio versus quartet mate, both supreme in their respective eras and I'd even be tempted to suggest that any of those seven players could easily have interchanged into any 3 or 4 man combination. We have been blessed in the past and God willing, we will be so blessed again, and soon.
Although I have heard it said Morrissey was invaluable too to the trio.

Status
Not open for further replies.