How Can The Toffees Get The Best From Sigurdsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article starts with a false premise - that Siggy is playing differently for us than he was for Swansea.

He is still producing high volumes of crosses, shots and key passes (passes that lead to shots) from very low numbers of touches of the ball.

The only difference is that his key passes aren't being converted into assists at the same rate and that his shots are being saved rather than ending up as goals.

The nature of football is that luck can make a huge difference to how your performance is assessed.

He could easily have scored 3 or 4 times for us if he'd taken the penalty and one of his good chances had gone in.

A few more of the shots he created could have gone in.

The problem is that people seem to think he is a different player to he is. He won't be taking on players, making clever passes or controlling games. Not his game. He actually profiles very similarly to Cahill. He moves well, finds space and shoots/creates chances at very high volumes compared to how often he touches the ball.

To get the best from him he needs passers around him to work the ball forward and strikers who can hold on to the ball. Problem is we don't have either of those players.

Play the right guys around him. Simple as that. Players that move and get themselves into position for Siggy to find them. Personally I think that is one of Rooney/Niasse/Sandro up top (and none are good enough, although I'd give Sandro another chance), and one of Lookman/Vlasic/Davies/Mirallas/Lennon on the left playing wide (as Baines isn't comfortable proving the width) and on the right playing inside forward (where Kenny is providing some width). When Barkley is back, he's on the right, when Bolaisse is back, we'll have more options.

He appears to me like a player who is trying to stay calm, not over-try if that makes sense.
I can understand the logic but I think he needs to start being a bit dirtier and scrap it out a bit.
He's a quality footballer and will show so soon enough.

by benching Rooney, and playing sig central. HIS position

I’m sick of hearing this utter bollox!

What is Kevin De Bruyne’s position? Or David Silva’s? They’re popping up all over the place, because they’re top quality players.

Sigurdsson is quite clearly no more than a solid journeyman. Big fish in the small ponds of Swansea & Iceland. Didn’t make it at Spurs & won't for us. Would love to be proven wrong of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.