Are you happy

• Yes

Votes: 213 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if there was no lockdown momentum would of taken us higher, the last few weeks of playing games screamed of a team that half the players had been told to find other clubs.
We’d taken 1 point from the 3 games immediately prior to lockdown and lost the last one 4-0. I wouldn’t say there was a great deal of momentum there if I’m honest.

We finished where we deserved to finish, we’re a mid table side and our results all season have reflected that. It’s going to be a big job for him to make the improvements we want to see, but If he can’t do it I don’t know who can.

As amiable as a guy he is, I cant shake off the feeling that as each game passes and every day he spends with us, the enormity of the job in hand must be dawning on him.
If I'm honest he looks sometime like a fish out of water.
I truly hope his calm persona hides a ruthless streak which now this horrible season has finished will come to the fore and propel us upwards.

I think he knows what he's doing. These glorified bounce games since the restart have been largely meaningless, but they've given him final confirmation of what he has to work with and what he needs to bring in, and more importantly he can go to the board with iron-clad proof of who needs replacing (even if they can't be moved on just yet). I'd like to think that some of those who've conspired to see off several lesser managers have finally met their Waterloo.
Well, I disagree. As a coach, it's a dream when you're newly hired to have a handful of matches that don't matter. Then you get the opportunity to work with the system that you want to implement, try out new players, etc., without major consequences. This is a luxury that most coaches do not get. Of course, if the motivation is only based on results, then such a period will be unmotivating. But the best thing is to focus on the performance, and what you can control yourself.

In Norway now we have a phenomenon, a team called Bodø-Glimt, which is one of the teams with the lowest budget in the series. The players are mostly local, as well as players who have not been found good enough for other competing teams. Now they top the league and they play fantastic offensive and entertaining football. Here they have focused on achievements, not results, and building their own identity.

The coach has taken his philosophy from the famous Rosenborg (RBK) coach Nils Arne Eggen - led RBK to the quarterfinals of the CL in the 90's, and beat a number of big teams such as Real Madrid, Dortmund etc. The team initially consisted of local carpenters and plumbers .), gradually it became more professional, but the resources were peanuts in the big picture.

His main philosophy was to attack, fast and vertically. Play forward when you can, and backward when you have to. He further believed that the players should make each other better. That is, to play on each other's strengths. He had an expression that he often used: It is important to be good yourself, but it is even more important to make the others better! Whoever wants success, must sincerely wish others success!

Therefore, the teams were also composed of players who had complementary skills - not necessarily the best individual players, but players who had extreme skills. He therefore believed that what you were good at, you should practice even more.

The training was always organized so that it was as similar to the match situations as possible, so that they could practice the offensive patterns. Here they constantly practiced putting the players in situations in which they were skilled.

My point is, being a good coach is not about buying the best players, then you can play FM, but to create a complex system based on the players' skills. To then practice, practice, and practice. We have had an excellent opportunity for this now, and these matches have therefore not been meaningless.

He’s done very well with what he had. With these players and the injuries we’ve had we could have easily been in a relegation battle, the fact we’re not is because we won enough games as soon as he landed. In the long term plan it had to be season 1: get safe (done) l, season 2: Europe, Season 3: retain Europe and improve.

Step 1 is done, yes he gave us a sniff of an unlikely euro place this season but really prem survival was the only thing on the cards when he took over from Silva. Holgate Digne Keane Sidibe have improved, Richarlison and Calvert Lewin have improved, Gordon and Branthwaite have come through to the seniors.

The problems remain that the likes of Coleman Davies Sigurdsson Pickford Bernard are not good enough to play top end prem football, but at the moment we don’t have good enough options to replace them in the 11 on a regular basis.

Injury returns and a transfer window gives Carlo his first chance to rectify some of the problems and we can review at the end of season 2 if we’re playing European football or not.

In many respects his reign only starts now. Up to this he had no choice but to work with the players already at the club.
We will now see how he wants to restructure the team. He has not criticised and individual player at any time but must have been disgusted by some performances.
I thought his reaction after the game yesterday was interesting, he wasn't even critical because I think he feels the season is over and a number of these players will not play for him again.

I'm not happy. But thats because I want more from Everton in general. He's had half of the strangest season in living memory with no incoming transfers. In some respects that makes me happy, as he's not just dived in and taken time to work with the squad - which means he hopefully knows what is required. Ask me again this time next year if he has clearly been given players he wants.

It has been said that a number of player are "impossible" to move on because of their contract length and/or too high wages. Assuming for one moment that lack of money is not an issue, and apart from the natural desire to get some of it back by selling, what about sidelining the relevant players so they do not even appear in the playing squad? Some will say oh they will sit in their garden for 2 years drawing the money. I do not believe that. Most people feeling totally excluded would want out and could apply pressure to leave, even with a pay cut. They are already mega rich after all so why not? OK one or two may not care anyway, which is too bad. We sell on at a loss or even let some go for free, but critically we get shut of them en masse, and stop them cluttering up the playing squad and wasting money on their wages. The inevitable financial losses lie squarely at the door of those responsible for appalling judgement when choosing and buying players. Draw a line under the last few years and move on. Exclude or transfer the useless players, and replace with a few decent players that CA wants, and move on. If however there is a money problem then we are screwed for another few years.

Disappointed with the end, i mean we had a really easy run in, we've ended up with 2 points from home games v villa, Bournemouth and soton - 3 dreadful teams. But the players don't have the mentality, it's been shown under loads of managers now, this season was over when we lost to arsenal, we were only ever going to finish mid table and there was nothing he could do. Hopefully he can get some good quality players in as everything he's said points to him knowing exactly what we need.

He’s never had a job like this before, or a team this bad before. My worry is this is going to be another top manager like Benitez, or Pellegrini not being able to do much with a average team. Time will
Tell and I’m really hoping we get this summer right.

Jesus christ, don't put him in the same bracket as those two baffoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.