Have we played better under Moyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
With the 6-1 against Brann, the 2-0 against City and now this 3-1 against Pompey I have to say the boys are playing as well as I can remember under David Moyes (and for a good while before that).

We've added some really nice attacking moves to the rock solid defence we've become known for and it's a joy to watch us at the moment. It's a joy to play in as well by the looks of the smiles on the guys faces.

And all without Arteta too.

Dont think we have mate. For the majority of his years at Everton, we'bve been a hard working side who for the most part, have ground results out. Im not knocking that but i think we have added some style to that this year as well as a real cutting edge up front with Yak

In relation to the title of the thread. Best football we have played in decades. We are playing and winning on merit, not relying on just grinding out results.

i'll admit i believe it took some time for Moyes to settle in, and as its been said, our football now is much better even to that played when we qualifed for the CL a couple years back.

what's amazing is he's managed to achieve some degree of consistency, which we've really been lacking lately. right now we're on top of the in form table, and if we keep it up i think we may even be contenders to win the league next season (albeit far longshots)

in a word, yes of course we've played better, Moyes is returing Everton to the glory of old and i couldnt' be happier.

we have had snifters of good play throughout this season, that goal against larissa and some of the play against sunderland hinted that something was brewing.

occasionally in recent seasons we've had the odd match where everything seems to have clicked, but they always seemed to be isolated occurrences whereas it's happening much more regularly this season. i can't help but think back to that win at villa park a couple of seasons or so ago & it was clear then that we were moving in the right direction. let's just hope we continue to progress under moyes.

He is just brilliant, the way hes changed our football is phenomenal, obviously we couldnt try be too slick a few years ago but we didnt have the real talent and we had to play to grind out results and slowly but surely hes built a side that can all play the ball nicely and we can be confident about playing good football.

I think the best stuff since the 80's but if if I was to be over critical I would say that there are still few players who look to punt it as far forward as possible. We play so much better with the ball on the deck and working it into angles where we can cross or thread through. Yobo looks to put it as far away from goal as possible and so does Neville at times. Brilliant today though lad absolutely superb.

You bring up something I observed today Mick (and by the way, before I forget, I do think this is the best we've played under Moyes.)

Quite a few times, Jags would play the ball over the top to the forwards, bypassing the midfield. I know a lot of people don't like this but I'm thinking that he's thinking "safety first."

Meaning don't make any mistakes in the back that could lead to a goal scoring chance. I guess that could be construed as hoofball but again, if you're going to lose it, lose it upfront and not in back.

You can sense the side is still growing togeher, for me what they lack at the moment is the continnuous cofindence! We play our best stuff when we ae at least two up. There is still a lot of playing it safe and simple untill a lead is established. A real acheivement this season be it be CL quaification or the Uefa Cup would have some of our squad beleiving they are quality players!

The results this week are nothing short of exceptional when you think that before the two games City and Pompey were two of our biggest rivals, we have effectively seen both of this week and i would argue bar a collapse, has seen us claim sixth place.

I can see the [Poor language removed] dropping point especially away, not to mention against Utd and Chelsea.

Villa for me are a bigger worry in the sesne that the points they have picked up against the top three will count for a lot at the end of the season!

I think we need something from the games against Chelsea and arsenal even if its only a point!

We are playing the best football seen at Goodison in over twenty years, it could, and hopefully will get better. Having seen championship winning sides over the years come together, this is one of those sides without question We play good stuff, we can and do go off the boil at times for periods longer than we should do but are we getting there, to bloody right we are. ;);););)

having had some terrible experiences via false dawns over the years lets keep it low key, the press will do are talking for us, the will want the column inches sooner rather than later;)

In the immediate future, what is needed is backing off the board. Moyes has worked wonders, built a good squad but this summer (in order to take the next step) he needs to be backed in his plans to bring in the players he feels are necessary to improve further. I just pray the board will back him to the hilt.

nice post, monty. i liked the way you were trying to be level-headed after letting your enthusiasm get the better of you :

"Having seen championship winning sides over the years come together, this is one of those sides without question"

then

"having had some terrible experiences via false dawns over the years lets keep it low key"

however, i think you're quite right - on both counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.