Happy Cup Winners Cup day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very envious of all you who got to see us be good

I'm in my mid 20s and the highlight has been coming 4th (which i hardly remember) and losing the FA Cup Final
I’m 33 and same, was too young to understand 95.
Probably the biggest ‘limbs’ memory I have is going 1-0 up in the FA Cup semi against the RS when I was in the Green Man round the corner from Wembley and we still went on to bottle it!

I was only just approaching my 9th birthday and coming from a family with few football fans wasn't there but watched it on tv.

Brian Clough, who was co-commentator that night and a shrewd judge, said that side could go on to dominate for years to come home and abroad given it was a young side. Sadly, that never proved to be the case but what a glorious era it was for our club for those of us old enough to remember it.

I don't think we'll ever experience an era like it again in my lifetime and I'm only mid-40s.

Back then we celebrated probably the greatest night in the clubs history, 37 years to the day later we (may) 'celebrate' staying up if results go our way today and that just sums up the Everton back then to the one of today. We are a parody of the club we were.

Thank God for ESPN Classic. I recorded this - along with sooo much of our 1980s side's performances that they showed - on DVD and still have them to this day. Apparently the "official" release of this match does not have the original commentary by the two great Brians: Moore and Clough. The ESPN Classic broadcast did. To me, it is one of my most precious possessions, coming in there just behind my son and my health.
The official dvd has got the original itv coverage , I have it in my collection of efc dvds.

I’m 33 and same, was too young to understand 95.
Probably the biggest ‘limbs’ memory I have is going 1-0 up in the FA Cup semi against the RS when I was in the Green Man round the corner from Wembley and we still went on to bottle it!

95 was the first fa cup final I watched on tv , insisted that we keep it on because my mam wanted to change channel , hates football but I loved it after that ? . Was so annoying when we were younger in Ireland, shops would only stock the scum, Man U , arsenal and Chelsea, one local sports shop stocked a (I sh*t you not) harchester united shirt ??? I actually got the shop to order in an Everton shirt about 98 and wore it all the time

The official dvd has got the original itv coverage , I have it in my collection of efc dvds.
Which "version" is that, if you don't mind me asking?

I would track down this if I knew I was buying the correct one as there have been a few variations on this release over the years.

Which "version" is that, if you don't mind me asking?

I would track down this if I knew I was buying the correct one as there have been a few variations on this release over the years.
ILC sport, it was an official everton fc club shop release, has a photo of Peter Reid on front cover sleeve holding the trophy aloft.

I was stuck in a hotel on a uni field trip with only a transistor radio to listen to. I was the only 3verton fan and nobody else was interested in the footie anyway, so I sat in blessed solitude and enjoyed a great night.

European competition was a proper competition back then. Something to be proud of winning. No leagues no safety nets, no old boys club. Kids haven't a clue what football used to be before it was plastic wrapped.

That was doubly satisfying because Rapid Vienna cheated Celtic out of a place in the final. What a game that would have been
I'm in no doubt that we would have beaten Celtic regardless, what a team though and what an era.

We might eventually get back to those heights, if we ever have people who know anything about football running the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.