2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the canary in the mine as far as Silva is concerned.
He has been played all season game after game with only one or two decent performances.
He is peripheral to most games and drains the team of pace and energy.
If he is still playing against West Ham I think it will have shown the manager has learned nothing from the games so far this season.

He has been played all season game after game with only one or two decent performances.
If he is still playing against West Ham I think it will have shown the manager has learned nothing from the games so far this season.

Pickford

Sidibe - Keane - Mina - Digne

Gomes - Delph

Richarlison - Sigurdsson - Bernard

Calvert-Lewin

That is the team for West Ham.

Been awful this season. (The whole team has barring one or two).

It does show Silva's inability to learn or have bottle though when he's playing someone in the most important position of a 4231 who doesn't really want to go and dictate play.

It's frustrating because Siggy can create chances and score goals, but doesn't really want to go and take the responsibility of doing it. He has a fantastic strike of the ball and the composure to do so, just perhaps not the bottle to lead the attack?

I'm actually basing my final opinion on Silva on 2 things: formation moving forward, and Gylfi's auto-inclusion.

He is not the sort of characted you want in the team despite his class from dead balls and decent goalscoring record but the clamour for Bernard makes no sense to me.

Like Sig he is very much a homer. He is a massive defensive liabilty and gives the ball away far more than Sig.
The clamor for Bernard is because he's far more creative with the ball at his feet (so of course he'll be dispossessed more frequently), actually does try to play through the middle, had a very strong partnership with Digne during our best run of form last year. Reunite that pair, with Iwobi in the 10, and watch our hoped-for attack actually come to life

Silva is terrified of him because he cost £45m and is one of our highest earners. He’s also probably terrified of getting it in the neck from his employers for not playing their record investment despite the fact he is clearly our single biggest issue in the final third. Terribly weak management.
I've been wondering this as well. How much do you think "pressure to play big investment player" is at work here?

In defence of Sig and DCL and Kean we really aren't set up to score goals or create chances. Sig in particular has produced all his best football for us with Walcott in the team. The reason is simple Walcott makes runs in behind the defence and Sig is the best player at the club for picking them out.
As things stand currently Richarlison is stuck out virtually on the right touch line all game and iwobi/Bernard come inside all the time so the only creative option for Sig to pick out is DCL or Keam neither of whom seem to try to go in behind often.
When Sig drops off another midfielder needs to go beyond to give him an option and that never happens. Why we don't have Richarlison learning how to make the runs theo does I have no idea.
At Swansea Sig looked great because he had 2 quick wingers running behind and creating space but at the moment there's none of that. As a result it does feel like Sig should be dropped but I'm not sure that helps. I don't think anyone else can change things while we have no forward players or midfielders tying to make runs. Presumably this is also why we resort to going wide and crossing yo no-one all game long. We just don't have the players to interchange or create space in the middle. It's all slow and predictable but we don't have the players formation or manager to fix that.
it's hard to say because by dropping Gylfi they would (hopefully) ditch the severely limited 4-2-3-1. that alone would set the team up to attack more creatively (while also filling the English Channel sized gap in our midfield as a bonus)

also, Kean's strength is exactly that, making runs behind the defense. on the few occasions he's been able to do that, no one could find him with a pass within 10 yards. Kean isn't a ball-carrier, he's a finisher. Problem with finishers is that they rely on others to get them the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.