2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these shouts about him playing badly.

First 30 mins he was as involved as any of our players.

Once Watford started to get a grip in midfield we stopped getting the ball into him and that problem from last week came back - he couldn't get involved other than working back to defend (which he did).

Yet he still could - honestly, should - have had three assists. He set up both of Richarlison's sitters and the chance that DCL took an awful touch with (though Sigurdsson should probably have hit it himself).

Not the best game, no. Not bad. But when we did play well he was involved.

Meh again.

Needed him to drop deeper at times but he never.

I think him and Walcott will be faded out over the next 12/18 months.

I am really excited to see where this team can go.

We are still a little short of nailing the top 6 but we will run it close. Next season if we keep Richarlison and Digne we will be ready to have a go at the top 4z

It seems to me the more direct and athletic we play the less effective he is as he is not able to keep up with the speed. Wonderful technical skills and set pieces and the effort is always there, he is just slow real slow.

Sigurdsson needs to play in a 4-3-3 like he did at Swansea & has done in the past for Iceland.

He took Iceland to two major international tournaments as a CM/DM, and is more than capable of playing there.

The gifs above are from one his last games for Iceland as a defensive midfielder not too long ago.

He finished that match with over 80 passes attempted & 100 touches. Personally I feel like he controlled the game too much, and should've taken more shots.

So why does he not get more involved on the ball for us? I personally believe @paulbefc is on the money in regards to his lack of involvement on the ball

Clearly Silva has relinquished his creative responsibilities in our buildup play in exchange prioritizing his end product instead. This is to compensate for the fact that Calvert-Lewin is not a reliable goal scorer, and only plays because of tactics not his goal scoring prowess.

After all DCL has only scored 5 goals with his feet in 80 PL matches. This might explain why you are seeing Sigurdsson further up the pitch, because Silva views Sigurdsson as his main goal threat not our striker.

Hopefully this will change with Kean upfront, who I suspect will have similar if not better results with Sigurdsson than Wilfried Bony did, who so far is by far the best striking partner Gylfi has played with in the Premier League. Sadly that is over 5 years ago and they only played together for 4 months before Bony was sold to City.

Bony's significance to not only Sigurdsson but the entire Swansea team cannot be understated. He unlocked the entire front fours ability to create goals.

If Gylfi doesn't shoot then he passes to Bony, if Bony isn't open he passes to Dyer, Montero or Routledge who can all either go for goal or lay it off back to Sigurdsson or to Bony.

Kean will be Sigurdsson's new & improved Bony. Taller, faster & stronger with better finishing, heading & decision making.

It's not hard to see the video above & imagine that being Kean instead of Bony. His introduction will get the best out of Sigurdsson, Richarlison & Bernard as well.

In the video you can see there are always enough options for the front four to make. This is what our players should be capable of doing except much, much better.

Not only this but Sigurdsson had a better understanding with his fullback than any of our wingers besides Walcott, which is why I'd also like to see Digne & Coleman overlapping more frequently & linking up with Sigurdsson similar to how Olsson would overlap. I'm sure Digne has more than good enough finishing.

Exciting times ahead for Everton, and it all hangs on how good the Sigurdsson/Kean partnership becomes.

Hi Ricky,

I’m very excited that you’re back spouting utter tosh.

Your boy has been pretty anonymous yet again, Le Ev will be such more of an attacking force once the boy Iwobi takes his place in the team.

Gylfi Splinterarseusson, watching the bluuus from the bench

All these shouts about him playing badly.

First 30 mins he was as involved as any of our players.

Once Watford started to get a grip in midfield we stopped getting the ball into him and that problem from last week came back - he couldn't get involved other than working back to defend (which he did).

Yet he still could - honestly, should - have had three assists. He set up both of Richarlison's sitters and the chance that DCL took an awful touch with (though Sigurdsson should probably have hit it himself).

Not the best game, no. Not bad. But when we did play well he was involved.

Is one of the reasons teams manage to get a grip on midfield against us because we’re effectively playing two players against usually 3? Siggurdson spends a lot of time almost as a second striker and often as the furthest man forward. Perhaps Silva tells him to ply this way, I don’t know, but regardless it seems to be Gomes and whoever against a midfield three most weeks. At some point Silva needs to decide if the trade off in lack of midfield control for the end product Siggurdson provides is worth it.

I think people are just getting a bit frustrated with him at the moment, as they know how good he can be and what he can offer when he's on form .

Agree and I get it , if people are saying he’s useless and is playing to far forward , that’s down to the manager isn’t it? I mean siggy has always been a kid so him suddenly deciding to change now isn’t really believable . I class him as a mid myself and think he’s a very good one

Is one of the reasons teams manage to get a grip on midfield against us because we’re effectively playing two players against usually 3? Siggurdson spends a lot of time almost as a second striker and often as the furthest man forward. Perhaps Silva tells him to ply this way, I don’t know, but regardless it seems to be Gomes and whoever against a midfield three most weeks. At some point Silva needs to decide if the trade off in lack of midfield control for the end product Siggurdson provides is worth it.

It's definitely an issue mate, yes.

But I also have to add in we had a half-fit Gbamin and Gomes in there yesterday too. We only lost control for a spell in the first half and then from about the 60th min, when both of them were goosed.

I do think Silva instructs that. It's key to the press. When we're off the ball he steps up. When we're in possession, he does tend to drop back. Difference is he drops wide, with Richarlison (typically) filling that space to get into the area.

So he is dropping and drifting. He's just not doing it in the middle.

Atm, I can't see Silva risking it. As I said, without playing well, he should have had two-three assists yesterday easily.

Sigurdsson needs to play in a 4-3-3 like he did at Swansea & has done in the past for Iceland.

He took Iceland to two major international tournaments as a CM/DM, and is more than capable of playing there.

The gifs above are from one his last games for Iceland as a defensive midfielder not too long ago.

He finished that match with over 80 passes attempted & 100 touches. Personally I feel like he controlled the game too much, and should've taken more shots.

So why does he not get more involved on the ball for us? I personally believe @paulbefc is on the money in regards to his lack of involvement on the ball

Clearly Silva has relinquished his creative responsibilities in our buildup play in exchange prioritizing his end product instead. This is to compensate for the fact that Calvert-Lewin is not a reliable goal scorer, and only plays because of tactics not his goal scoring prowess.

After all DCL has only scored 5 goals with his feet in 80 PL matches. This might explain why you are seeing Sigurdsson further up the pitch, because Silva views Sigurdsson as his main goal threat not our striker.

Hopefully this will change with Kean upfront, who I suspect will have similar if not better results with Sigurdsson than Wilfried Bony did, who so far is by far the best striking partner Gylfi has played with in the Premier League. Sadly that is over 5 years ago and they only played together for 4 months before Bony was sold to City.

Bony's significance to not only Sigurdsson but the entire Swansea team cannot be understated. He unlocked the entire front fours ability to create goals.

If Gylfi doesn't shoot then he passes to Bony, if Bony isn't open he passes to Dyer, Montero or Routledge who can all either go for goal or lay it off back to Sigurdsson or to Bony.

Kean will be Sigurdsson's new & improved Bony. Taller, faster & stronger with better finishing, heading & decision making.

It's not hard to see the video above & imagine that being Kean instead of Bony. His introduction will get the best out of Sigurdsson, Richarlison & Bernard as well.

In the video you can see there are always enough options for the front four to make. This is what our players should be capable of doing except much, much better.

Not only this but Sigurdsson had a better understanding with his fullback than any of our wingers besides Walcott, which is why I'd also like to see Digne & Coleman overlapping more frequently & linking up with Sigurdsson similar to how Olsson would overlap. I'm sure Digne has more than good enough finishing.

Exciting times ahead for Everton, and it all hangs on how good the Sigurdsson/Kean partnership becomes.

Very good and interesting post. In summary it all points to Silva's team selection and tactics not being fully to our taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.