2019/20 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richatlison had an amazing chance to.play him in but didnt, think he got a bit frustrated afterwards.
No.issues with Siggy today, game was won, alls good

Your gripe is with Gomes and Gbamin, who dwelt on and gave the ball away continuously from about half an hour in. It doesn't look to me like this is the job Sigurdsson is given in the 4-2-3-1. He's much closer to the front 3 than the midfield (there's an average position chart from Palace going around showing that he was higher up the park than DCL). Not far off being a second striker. He's clearly asked to press as high as the striker and is probably pushed that high because we don't have a goalscorer in that position.

Which is perfectly fine. But surely you can see how then a midfield 2 is over ran? 1st half Gbamin and Gomes dictated the game. Watford and even Palace last week pressed our midfield 2 where we couldn't string passes together.

When we have a high percentage of possession, Siggy further up the field works in specific build ups.

We have 2 players for each position for the most part. Each offering different things. We don't have that for Siggy. So when it doesn't work, where do we go? We don't. We leave him out there and are now relying on a very solid defence.

If we want to get higher up the league, we need options for when the game changes or we play a very defensive side.

Criticize him all you want, but ripping him for not holding on the ball is just stupid. That's like ripping on Gomes for holding it too long and producing nothing with it. It's just different styles.

It's not holding the ball, it's getting close to the midfield to use, keep, and pass the ball.

I mean one half of that is pure speculation and the other false.

He's set Richarlison up for two huge chances that really should be our second and third goals there and showed signs of gaining sharpness. He could be moved deeper by Silva so he could get some sideways passes and a few more tackles in, but people would quickly move on to find something else to slate him for.

It's definitely the right time to get as many digs in as hard as we can though, as he's clearly not 100% yet and neither are the rest of them.

So youve mentioned 2 chance creations + then suggest he should be played deeper to get on the ball more.

His best position is without doubt the one he played in today. I dont think im being harsh when i say that he was anonymous in 90% of the game.

Yes he did some good things...but we should be seeing MORE from him in / around the box

Which is perfectly fine. But surely you can see how then a midfield 2 is over ran? 1st half Gbamin and Gomes dictated the game. Watford and even Palace last week pressed our midfield 2 where we couldn't string passes together.

When we have a high percentage of possession, Siggy further up the field works in specific build ups.

We have 2 players for each position for the most part. Each offering different things. We don't have that for Siggy. So when it doesn't work, where do we go? We don't. We leave him out there and are now relying on a very solid defence.

If we want to get higher up the league, we need options for when the game changes or we play a very defensive side.

I think its interesting that Bernard was mentioned as getting training time in his position + the Arsenal fans seemed to think Iwobi is best in sigurdssons position.

Will be interesting to see who rotates with him.

I mean one half of that is pure speculation and the other false.

He's set Richarlison up for two huge chances that really should be our second and third goals there and showed signs of gaining sharpness. He could be moved deeper by Silva so he could get some sideways passes and a few more tackles in, but people would quickly move on to find something else to slate him for.

It's definitely the right time to get as many digs in as hard as we can though, as he's clearly not 100% yet and neither are the rest of them.

Well, that's a problem with Silva's tactics or Siggy not being that type of player to go looking for the ball.

I think its interesting that Bernard was mentioned as getting training time in his position + the Arsenal fans seemed to think Iwobi is best in sigurdssons position.

Will be interesting to see who rotates with him.

Bernie did have some great movement and touches when he drifted inside. But it don't think it'll happen.

Only thing we have really is putting Davies in a midfield 3.

No doubt, the midfield two leaves us vulnerable. I guess it's a trade off between having our goalscorers in the position to score and midfield superiority. Because DCL is so awful in the box, we've had to go with the former.

I think Silva will eventually go 4-3-3 (maybe very soon, now Kean is getting fit) and that may see Sigurdsson dropped as he's not the quickest and his goal threat will fall. But I hope we can find room for him as his quality will be sorely missed.

If we had signed Doucoure i think Sigurdsson would be rotated.

Was anonymous for 90% of the game.
What about Iwobi?

Arsenal fans seem to think his best position is central playmaker

We're two games in yet to concede and picked up four points

Calm down lads..

You have to accept that for 80% of most games he will be anonymous...however sometimes he will get a goal or slide another player in....the question is....is this enough

No doubt, the midfield two leaves us vulnerable. I guess it's a trade off between having our goalscorers in the position to score and midfield superiority. Because DCL is so awful in the box, we've had to go with the former.

I think Silva will eventually go 4-3-3 (maybe very soon, now Kean is getting fit) and that may see Sigurdsson dropped as he's not the quickest and his goal threat will fall. But I hope we can find room for him as his quality will be sorely missed.

It's all about options which we don't have with him or at least not tried it.

Richarlison for eg looks leggy and tired and not playing well. Can drop him for Iwobi or Walcott. DCL isn't working. Kean comes in.

There's nothing wrong with subbing Siggy or anyone to get a foothold back in the game.

What about Iwobi?

Arsenal fans seem to think his best position is central playmaker

We're two games in yet to concede and picked up four points

Calm down lads..

I wrote about him also in the "great attack" (or whatever its called) thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.