2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like siggy. When the rest of the team involve him you can see he has class sometimes that class looks like garbage because players around him are not really on his wave length. We have forwards that find it hard to create space and lose a player therefore what can siggy do? He does get caught out when he is looking at our players not moving for him. He is a bright spot this season and I highlight again that his transfer fee is making him a bit of a scapegoat on here. Look beyond prices of players and you see he has been one of our better players. He is not there to control a game he is there to mainly bring other players into the game but those other players are not helping him. If we had savvy strikers Siggy could have a field day. He is one of the few I would keep hold of and is a mainstay of our team.....there are only a few and he is one of them.

Our best player again. Honestly dont know what game pleople were watching. Some were probably gutted when he scored.

Fair enough. What did he bring to the game in his overall play that made him standout?

Unfortunately for him I think he's going to have to play a bit deeper. It's still a major concern that our inability to defend is matched by our woefullness at passing the ball through midfield. I just hope this Gomes lad is capable of it.
He did that yesterday and got legged by mark noble and a kid who's actually a defender by trade.

Our central midfield/ number 10 needs a good overhaul over the next 12 months

I thought he could play centre midfield, box to box as he has the fitness...was shown up massively yesterday.

For the life of me, i cant see what he brings to the team and also now cant understand what he did at swansea...

Nobody came out of that game looking good but at least he has the ability to pass the ball. There isn't anyone else unless Gomes can do it. Every player put there is failing in that position.

Pass the ball yes, but hes not incisive and there is no playmaking ability there and limited effectiveness on the ball...

Would stick Bernard in the No. 10 role in a heartbeat. You can count on one hand the number of times that Siggi has been our best player and controlled the game for us. I don't care if he does a lot of running - that should be a normal thing not something to highlight with a PL player.

Has he really ever been the best player on the pitch or have we been fooled by his price tag? Looking back i cant remember a game where he was top class...

I like siggy. When the rest of the team involve him you can see he has class sometimes that class looks like garbage because players around him are not really on his wave length. We have forwards that find it hard to create space and lose a player therefore what can siggy do? He does get caught out when he is looking at our players not moving for him. He is a bright spot this season and I highlight again that his transfer fee is making him a bit of a scapegoat on here. Look beyond prices of players and you see he has been one of our better players. He is not there to control a game he is there to mainly bring other players into the game but those other players are not helping him. If we had savvy strikers Siggy could have a field day. He is one of the few I would keep hold of and is a mainstay of our team.....there are only a few and he is one of them.

As a 'mainstay' and lets call this a transitional season, he'll be 30 next season so what you see is what you get.

He doesnt appear to have the ability to playmake nor make one touch passes/throughballs to the wider forwards...whats the effectiveness he brings?

Bernard made time stop a couple of moves yesterday...thats the mark of a top player...ive never seen Sigurdsson do that...hes reactive.

Fair enough. What did he bring to the game in his overall play that made him standout?

Scored a brilliant header from a standing start. Played a few lovely lay offs, nice control, turn and pass in the first half....he was just the player that looked most likely.

It was hardly the greatest performance of all time but he was still our best player.

Scored a brilliant header from a standing start. Played a few lovely lay offs, nice control, turn and pass in the first half....he was just the player that looked most likely.

It was hardly the greatest performance of all time but he was still our best player.

Brilliant header yes...but overall play;

Lay offs = Hardly the mark of a top player...
Control = Fellaini had better control...

Not trying to argue here, i just dont see what makes him a true 10...compare with a top player in that position and theres few, if any similarities...

I would drop him deeper into the midfield and put a holder next to him. I think he would look better with everything in front of him, where his range of passing could be used. He's got the energy to play there, question marks over if he has the discipline to play there.

Would stick Bernard in the No. 10 role in a heartbeat. You can count on one hand the number of times that Siggi has been our best player and controlled the game for us. I don't care if he does a lot of running - that should be a normal thing not something to highlight with a PL player.
Right, if you want Bernard to control a game, you'd be barking up the wrong tree as well.

Gylfi was tosh yesterday, but that number 10 position is not where the game is controlled from. It's from further back. Our issue is we didn't have a player yesterday who could feed the front four, so we just ended up going long.

The game is dictated from deep. It is not dictated from 'the hole' anymore. Football has moved on.

I would drop him deeper into the midfield and put a holder next to him. I think he would look better with everything in front of him, where his range of passing could be used. He's got the energy to play there, question marks over if he has the discipline to play there.

Surely yesterday proved we can't do that, mate?

He's not got the skillset to control a game. He's good at quick interchanges in and around the area and getting on the end of things or creating in that final third.

He is not a playmaker in the natural sense. That needs to be done deeper. He doesn't have a 'range of passing' as such. He isn't going to ping a 40-yard defence-splitting pass or drive us forward.

He can pick a great quick pass short range, or use his quick feet to create a yard for a shot.

We need a player to get the ball into him and then if he's not cutting it, we have the numbers in that role to drop him.

Gomes will hopefully be that player, because none of our other midfielders are, that's for sure.

Seriously?
Fellaini had exceptional control tbf
Right, if you want Bernard to control a game, you'd be barking up the wrong tree as well.

Gylfi was tosh yesterday, but that number 10 position is not where the game is controlled from. It's from further back. Our issue is we didn't have a player yesterday who could feed the front four, so we just ended up going long.

The game is dictated from deep. It is not dictated from 'the hole' anymore. Football has moved on.
Could take down any ball on his chest with ease. Really underrated how good a footballer Fellaini was/is. People just see him for the battering ram side of his game.

Fellaini had fantastic control...the ball stuck to him like glue...sigurdsson does not...its not good or bad...certainly not a strength.

Toff, you feel that CM controls the game (looking at your recent posts) but i feel its a deep playmaker which we lack (which youve just posted about above)...

Bernard wont control games but he will provide cutting edge and seemed to stop play when he had the ball yesterday, the mark of a star.

Surely yesterday proved we can't do that, mate?

He's not got the skillset to control a game. He's good at quick interchanges in and around the area and getting on the end of things or creating in that final third.

He is not a playmaker in the natural sense. That needs to be done deeper. He doesn't have a 'range of passing' as such. He isn't going to ping a 40-yard defence-splitting pass or drive us forward.

He can pick a great quick pass short range, or use his quick feet to create a yard for a shot.

We need a player to get the ball into him and then if he's not cutting it, we have the numbers in that role to drop him.

Gomes will hopefully be that player, because none of our other midfielders are, that's for sure.

I think you will be disappointed by Gomes if you expect him to be a playmaker...

Fellaini had fantastic control...the ball stuck to him like glue...sigurdsson does not...its not good or bad...certainly not a strength.

Toff, you feel that CM controls the game (looking at your recent posts) but i feel its a deep playmaker which we lack (which youve just posted about above)...

Bernard wont control games but he will provide cutting edge and seemed to stop play when he had the ball yesterday, the mark of a star.

No I agree a deep-lying playmaker controls a game, but the way Silva sets up at the moment, and with the players we CURRENTLY have available, we don't have that role in the side.

So for now, we need Gomes to be able to come in and be the centre-mid that gets his foot on the ball and gets it into the front men - that's either by driving forward and carrying the ball or threading a pass (which he can do). The other midfielder then needs to be an energetic 'DM' (Gana/McCarthy) who can cover the full-back on one side.

What we need is a measured approach to attacks. You don't need a deep-lying playmaker in the natural sense to do that. You do need someone who can at least get on the ball and set a tempo and move up the pitch. Rooney, when played deeper last year, did this to a point. As did Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.