Guardiola / Martinez similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbok

Player Valuation: £15m
First this article -

Guardiola’s tactical journey from Barca to Bayern and why he is destined to fail at Manchester City
http://thefalse9.com/2016/05/pep-guardiola-tactics-bayern-barca-manchester-city.html

Couldn't help but think of the eerie similarities between the two managers and how they set up and as the article points out how tactically inflexible they are. What do you guys think?

Here are some key points -

- He's tactically inflexible
- There's no plan B
- His subs are always like for like
- He forces his system on players which doesn't always work
- He doesn't spend much time on defence

Two main differences
1. Guardiola makes his teams press high up the pitch and win back the ball.
2. Guardiola buys and selects players who can actually play the type of football he wants to play. If you are going to play a highly technical style of football where possession is vital then buy players who are excellent on the ball.

I found it fascinating how similar both Guardiola's and Martinez sets up their team. It's almost like Martinez took the Barcelona game plan and implemented it man for man and tactic for tactic.

I found it fascinating how similar both Guardiola's and Martinez sets up their team. It's almost like Martinez took the Barcelona game plan and implemented it man for man and tactic for tactic.

I was watching a documentary on Guardiola the other day, from when he was a kid up until when he went to Bayern. He was talking about finding out a way to win which is ingrained in the DNA of the team he was with, he said that the Barcelona players had passing and skill bred into them so it would be foolish to look at that team and attempt to get them playing a different way. He said something along the lines of he wasn't ingrained in the possession football way of playing, he was more interested in finding ways to win.

He got talking about the Bayern team about how they are bigger stronger athletes and how he will use what was already in their team to win.

I think thats the difference in my eyes, from what he was saying Guardiola takes the strengths of the team and finds a way to win with it while incorporating some of his ideology.

Martinez has his way of playing whether the players fit or not - he will not vary from it or consider alternatives as he is a purist when it comes to the old La Masia way of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.