Goodison atmosphere so far this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 challenges on the halfway line from Ross and then McCarthy did change both the atmosphere and the game.

It was dead until that point, then it got going. Great to see it rocking at the end, great night, great game, great result :)
lets hope its a Phil Neville vs Man United moment and kick starts the season.

I've been one to slag the fans off for numerous years. It's stopped me going the match, cba with people that just sing when winning. I want o sing when 5-0 down. I love my team. Apart from small teams like Oxford etc, I don't think the fans are passionate enough. They only sing when winning, We're included in this group, let's not lie about it. The RS are the worst for it.

Boss yesterday though. Shame it won't be anything like that for a couple of years (unless we beat the RS)

lets hope its a Phil Neville vs Man United moment and kick starts the season.

I've been one to [Poor language removed] the fans off for numerous years. It's stopped me going the match, cba with people that just sing when winning. I want o sing when 5-0 down. I love my team. Apart from small teams like Oxford etc, I don't think the fans are passionate enough. They only sing when winning, We're included in this group, let's not lie about it. The RS are the worst for it.

Boss yesterday though. Shame it won't be anything like that for a couple of years (unless we beat the RS)
I agree mate. If you try and get anything going in the PE you're on your own after the first 2 lines ffs.

We don't sing enough at home, we're generally boss away, but at home we sit there and wait for something to get us narked, then it lifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLW
Great to see Goodison united last night. Even at 0-1 down the crowd was angry but trying to get behind the players, and for once they sensed it and did their jobs. Some great tackles and later some great football at times.

When it's like that, Goodison is up there as one of the best atmospheres in the country.

I agree mate. If you try and get anything going in the PE you're on your own after the first 2 lines ffs.

We don't sing enough at home, we're generally boss away, but at home we sit there and wait form something to get us narked, then it lifts.
Yep. It's not just us though mate. It's the vast majority of the country. Pretty poor atmosphere in the country tbh.
Fans and players being separated doesn't help things.

Great to see Goodison united last night. Even at 0-1 down the crowd was angry but trying to get behind the players, and for once they sensed it and did their jobs. Some great tackles and later some great football at times.

When it's like that, Goodison is up there as one of the best atmospheres in the country.

That's a very good point about the crowd getting angry, but channelling that anger positively by getting behind the team, not on their backs.
The Old Lady needs to snarl more often... ay up, a derby (the RS Klingons) approaches on the starboard bow ;)

** dashes out to buy throat lozenges **

I'd say Goodison is the best in England when it's like last night to be honest mate and by a country mile.

Every stand did its bit last night, even the Main Stand!

There were some in there wondering what the heck was going on like, especially when I was getting particularly animated at points. Anyone who has had the misfortune of sitting with me at a match can probably understand why lol

There is nowt as embarrassing.

I remember when I used to go the Park End, during the Walter Smith era and Gazza was playing, I stood up and started directing a chant about Gazza toward the opposition fans in that end of the Bullens where they sit.

No bugger joined in and a young nephew I had with me cringed with embarrassment.

And of course you can't stop right away......you try and be cool and just nonchalantly sing away for a few more lines before letting the song fade away then you keep standing fir a few seconds more yelling encouragement at the team in an attempt to extract yourself from an embarrassing moment :rolleyes:

There is nowt as embarrassing.

I remember when I used to go the Park End, during the Walter Smith era and Gazza was playing, I stood up and started directing a chant about Gazza toward the opposition fans in that end of the Bullens where they sit.

No bugger joined in and a young nephew I had with me cringed with embarrassment.

And of course you can't stop right away......you try and be cool and just nonchalantly sing away for a few more lines before letting the song fade away then you keep standing fir a few seconds more yelling encouragement at the team in an attempt to extract yourself from an embarrassing moment :rolleyes:

** rings local constabulary for retrospective 'disturbing the peace' action to be taken ** :D:D:D

Mental how it only takes two tackles, or one sprint to get things going in the stands. You'd hope the players see how they can swing the game now.

Mental how it only takes two tackles, or one sprint to get things going in the stands. You'd hope the players see how they can swing the game now.
Should it be like that though mate? I don't think it should. I think supporters should sing no matter what the score, no matter how bad you're playing. But yeah, I agree, you'd think the players have caught on by now

Should it be like that though mate? I don't think it should. I think supporters should sing no matter what the score, no matter how bad you're playing. But yeah, I agree, you'd think the players have caught on by now
Agree I don't think it should either but I can't see the mentality suddenly switching, not even sure something like safestanding would get our fans proactive rather than reactive.

It was such an incident which kick started the Camelot season.

I remember we had endured a very tedious bird draw with Baggies followed by another scoreless game at Cardiff.

Then we hosted Chelsea and they were battering us and the crowd were sleeping....until one of their players had the goal at his mercy and the debuting Gareth Barry appeared from nowhere to save the day with a crunching tackle.

It woke the crowd up and we frightened them Chelsea of their stride :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.