Goodison atmosphere so far this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I agree that we should not be specifically targeting our own players (i.e. Ross), I'm not sure I agree that Goodison should be all about singing and cheering.

One of the things that makes us special for me is that we are not like other fans, we are knowledgeable and do not accept second best. That goes for our own players, the ref and other teams not playing the game with the integrity we do.

Maybe I'm old but that last thing I want is for Goodison to become a happy, clappy sing-a-long fest with flags and cheerleaders.

That ever comes about I am retiring as a matchgoer :(

Although I agree that we should not be specifically targeting our own players (i.e. Ross), I'm not sure I agree that Goodison should be all about singing and cheering.

One of the things that makes us special for me is that we are not like other fans, we are knowledgeable and do not accept second best. That goes for our own players, the ref and other teams not playing the game with the integrity we do.

Maybe I'm old but that last thing I want is for Goodison to become a happy, clappy sing-a-long fest with flags and cheerleaders.
Imagine we had boys waving giant flags every time we scored, like Arsenal and Chelsea do :whip:

The crowd has changed with the times unfortunately. Its been declining for years now but really started to nosedive in Moyes final season and reached its peak last season. The club, along with football as a whole has stopped treating supporters as supporters. They charge obscene prices, pricing out lots of our traditional fan base and putting a higher amount of expectations on the match. They (sky and the clubs) never think about what is best for the fans full stop, just take a look from the Palace fans perspective that they had to travel here on a Fri night. A lot of people also now go to the match who aren't necessarily people who would of gone to the match years ago and while it's great more people are taking an interest in the blues, for some they only go now because it's the fashionable thing to do. The atmosphere is actually better this season, but that's only because of how bad it was last season and the one before. A singing section is badly needed to combat the bad atmosphere, along with a possible standing section. It might make a few uncomfortable but it's the best way forward imo.

Last edited:
Hopefully the gobshoite Merseyside Police will allow us to play the RS late on at the weekend - which doesn't seem to be a problem for that lot at their ground.

It's not for anyone to say what Goodison should be about, fans pay their money and it is their choice how to act. If fans wish to sing and cheer then they pay their money they can if they want.

We are a sing when your winning crowd, where was the support and encouragement from the crowd last night in the second half to try and lift a fading team?

We're not even that. At the Boro game, the only noise made all night was for each goal, before going back to being a morgue.

And loads left 10 minutes early.

There's been a notable shift in atmosphere this season. It feels every bit like people just seem obliged to be there, rather than want to - like it's a job.

Storm in a teacup, the number of people actually booing was ( at least in the Park End ) tiny.

We are exactly like every other set of fans, if not worse. The treatment of Ross is shocking, the boos when we are in the top 4 in October is shocking, given where we've been for the last 3 seasons. When did we become so self entitled? We've been a mid table team for 3 years and yet we boo when we're in the top 4 in October !!!!!!!!! Have I missed something? When/how did expectations become so high? we're no different to any other set of fans. Please stop this romantic notion of us being better, more knowledgable, more integrity, it's embarrassing. The atmosphere at most of the games in the Prem is awful. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, both Mancs, Spurs are really bad IMO, or certainly comes across that way. You couldn't get any more self entitled fans than them lot. Given the money all them have had to spend I suppose you could almost forgive their fans for the high expectations. But us? The best atmospheres for me are at the likes of Palace, Hull, Burnley, Watford
Etc. They're not self entitled and are there to urge their team onto every point they can. Just look at a thread on here a couple of weeks back about our run of games. Beat Bournemouth and Palace, the expectation of getting a huge return from the the next 6 or 7 games, tells us all we need to know about unreal, unfounded expectation, the general cockiness/over confidence of our fans is, for me, to blame for the lack of atmosphere. We think we're better than we are. Let's get back to basics and SUPPORT the team for EVERY point, not boo when we get a point because we think we SHOULD be winning. Let's stop turning on players, especially young players, it's not doing anyone any favours.

We are exactly like every other set of fans, if not worse. The treatment of Ross is shocking, the boos when we are in the top 4 in October is shocking, given where we've been for the last 3 seasons. When did we become so self entitled? We've been a mid table team for 3 years and yet we boo when we're in the top 4 in October !!!!!!!!! Have I missed something? When/how did expectations become so high? we're no different to any other set of fans. Please stop this romantic notion of us being better, more knowledgable, more integrity, it's embarrassing. The atmosphere at most of the games in the Prem is awful. Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, both Mancs, Spurs are really bad IMO, or certainly comes across that way. You couldn't get any more self entitled fans than them lot. Given the money all them have had to spend I suppose you could almost forgive their fans for the high expectations. But us? The best atmospheres for me are at the likes of Palace, Hull, Burnley, Watford
Etc. They're not self entitled and are there to urge their team onto every point they can. Just look at a thread on here a couple of weeks back about our run of games. Beat Bournemouth and Palace, the expectation of getting a huge return from the the next 6 or 7 games, tells us all we need to know about unreal, unfounded expectation, the general cockiness/over confidence of our fans is, for me, to blame for the lack of atmosphere. We think we're better than we are. Let's get back to basics and SUPPORT the team for EVERY point, not boo when we get a point because we think we SHOULD be winning. Let's stop turning on players, especially young players, it's not doing anyone any favours.

Agree 100%

Support fully in the 90, then come on to GOT and moan and be blocked by people.

Theres obviously times when the crowd needs to get angry and let the players/manager/club know they are not happy....but I'm not sure when somebody decided that this should be almost every game.

This site is the place to vent your frustrations as opinions are welcomed .. The ground is where you go to support your team !!!!... Can't believe some to the moaning you here at the ground .. If I felt like some of the people at Goodson I'd stay at home !

I would love to see a standing corner like Celtic just to keep Goodison humming because frankfully it's silent.

I think before kickoff we also need to intensify the atmosphere. I love Z-Cars but we tend to play more jolly jolly songs just before we need some anthems not just the boys pen tunes.

I think that this is a problem with British football stadia in general tbh. The music always seems to be some 80s pop crap.

"it's simply cringe worthy behavior.

I do genuinely wonder what Koeman and the players must think about it"

As they pick up there £70,000 every week for not giving 100% every match.
They should be ashamed of themselves with some of the performances they dish out.
Give me 100% all game every game and I will gladly clap and cheer you off the pitch, look like you cant be arsed for a match and I will let you know what I think of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.