Goals & Goalscorers - comparison & analysis:

Status
Not open for further replies.
...attitude as well with Sharp. CBs dreaded playing against him. Back to goal, he’s technically the best I’ve ever seen.
I loved Latchford, and I have never seen anybody who could score as well with his head, But Sharpy is the best I have seen supplying others with his head,
. So many forwards basically let the ball bounce off their heads in a general direction toward the opposition half. Sharpy’s flick on’s always seemed to find a team mate, his consistency with his flick ons was remarkable,
and meant whenthe likes of Inchy, Gray or Lineker made their run, the knew Sharpy would find them.

I loved Latchford, and I have never seen anybody who could score as well with his head, But Sharpy is the best I have seen supplying others with his head,
. So many forwards basically let the ball bounce off their heads in a general direction toward the opposition half. Sharpy’s flick on’s always seemed to find a team mate, his consistency with his flick ons was remarkable,
and meant whenthe likes of Inchy, Gray or Lineker made their run, the knew Sharpy would find them.

...agree, he was unbelievably accurate pecking out team mates with headers. I think that was lots to do with technique and upper body strength. I spoke to a defender who marked him and said you couldn’t see the ball when it was played into him, such was the way he got his body in-between ball and his marker.

i remember Lineker saying he had no idea how outstanding Sharp was until he played alongside him. I can believe that and his goalscoring ratio reflects what an outstanding striker he was.

I saw Lukaku stuck rigidly to the centre circle in a couple of games where we were under the cosh. He didn’t lead the line, he wasn’t an out ball for our under fire defenders, he didn’t relieve pressure by getting us free-kicks. Lukaku has the superior goal stats, but i’d always have Sharp in my team ahead of him.

Good post that Eggs, I think it is quite illuminating that Lukaku and Cottee (Who often got slagged off on here) are so high on the list, whereas Dunc, (who I never rated) is held up as a legend.

That Rideout had a better record than Ferguson is surprising. Duncan never really made the most of his talent, and while his personality was often fantastic, on the pitch he was more akin to Andy Carrell than Zlatan.

That Rideout had a better record than Ferguson is surprising. Duncan never really made the most of his talent, and while his personality was often fantastic, on the pitch he was more akin to Andy Carrell than Zlatan.

....I often think fans, especially the younger ones have a hero at formative times when they grow up. It’s similar with Duncan McKenzie and Tony Cottee, neither of whom would get near my favourites.

Just demonstrates, again, how elite Lukaku was for us.

Between the ages of 20 and 24 he scored 87 goals in 166 matches. The moaning about him at the time was unbelievable. Morons everywhere.

Something I think we have to remember when comparing eras like this is how many goals were common back then. I took a random season of Roy Vernon's (61-62), when he scored 26 goals out of the 88 we scored in the league that season. By contrast, when Lukaku scored 26 for us in 16-17, the team scored just 62 goals. When Kevin Campbell came in and scored 9 goals in 8 games, the team as a whole scored just 42 goals and we won every game he scored in.

Loved Roy Vernon. Along with Alex Young they were my first Everton Heroes.
They have been matched but never surpassed in my esteem.
Proper footballers.

Just demonstrates, again, how elite Lukaku was for us.

Between the ages of 20 and 24 he scored 87 goals in 166 matches. The moaning about him at the time was unbelievable. Morons everywhere.

...he was a fantastic goalscorer for us. Just what we needed at that time and a great piece of business.

Saying that, a successful team needs more from his CF than Lukaku offered. Create a chance and he’ll usually finish it, but watching him live when we were under the cosh you realise we needed lots more. I suggest that’s what frustrated many fans, it certainly told me he wasn’t the complete deal.

There was a recent home game against United when the contrast between Lukaku and Ibrahimovic was stark. The Swede was in the twilight of his career but he gave so much for his team that afternoon. The United CBs never broke sweat. I sat in the Park End and compared the two, my admiration for Ibrahimovic confirmed as my was understanding of Lukaku.

Goals are a vital ingredient for any striker but they aren’t everything. Graham Sharp can show Lukaku his winners medals.

Last edited:
I think it was Mark Twain who spoke about ‘lies, damned lies & statistics’, but whilst goalscoring data might not tell the whole story, i don’t think it lies.

Prompted by a discussion with the folk in the Old Pictures thread, I did a quick bit of analysis to determine our true goalscorers. I might have missed somebody obvious, so feel free to fill in any gaps. Some of the outcomes surprised me a little. Apologies if the odd calculation is wrong.

As a rule of thumb, I considered those with an approximate minimum of 100 games, and post-1960 only.

The Attackers

Roy Vernon 176 games, 101 goals. Ratio a goal every 1.7 games.

Fred Pickering 97 games, 56 goals. 1 in 1.7
Romelu Lukaku 110 games, 53 goals. 1 in 2
Bob Latchford 236 games, 106 goals 1 in 2.2
Joe Royle 232 games, 102 goals. I in 2.2
Tony Cottee 184 games, 72 goals. 1 in 2.5
Graham Sharp 322 games, 111 goals. 1 in 2.9
Alex Young 228 games, 77 goals. 1 in 2.9
Adrian Heath 226 games, 71 goals. 1 in 3,1
Paul Rideout 111 games, 29 goals. 1 in 3.8
Duncan Ferguson 239 games, 60 goals. 1 in 3.9.

i‘m amazed at Vernon’s exceptional goal quota, especially as i never saw him as a conventional centre forward. As I recall, he largely partnered Alex Young. I’m reminded of Brian Labone saying; “Taffy Vernon was about 10st wet through. He looked about as athletic as Pinocchio.” Fantastic record for a player who contributed lots more than goals. Respect.

The Wingers

Derek Temple 234 games, 72 goals. 1 in 3.2

Kevin Sheedy 274 games, 67 goals. 1 in 4
Trevor Steven 210 games, 48 goals. 1 in 4.3
Johnny Morrissey 250 games, 43 goals. 1 in 5.1
Alex Scott 149 games, 23 goals. 1 in 6.4

Again, surprised by Temple’s goal ratio. Of course, this doesn’t tell the whole story as ‘assists’ are a key aspect of wide play. Regardless, it seems our most successful teams had decent goalscoring contributions from wide positions.

Midfielders

Alan Ball 208 games, 66 goals. 1 in 3.1

Jimmy Husband 165 games, 44 goals. 1 in 3.7
Andy King 195 games, 49 goals. 1 in 3.9
Tim Cahill 226 games, 56 goals. 1 in 4
Mikel Arteta 162 games, 27 goals. 1 in 6.
Graham Stuart 136 games, 22 goals. 1 in 6.1
Ross Barkley 150 games, 21 goals. 1 in 7.
Howard Kendall 229 games, 21 goals. 1 in 10.9
Colin Harvey 320 games, 18 goals. 1 in 17.7
Peter Reid 158 games, 18 goals. 1 in 19.8.

No surprise Ball is tops. Bit of conjecture, some might see Jimmy Husband as an attacker, but he was an attacking midfielder for me. I chucked Harvey, Kendall and Reid into the list to demonstrate two of our greatest ever teams had two defensive midfielders who didn’t contribute goals.

Defenders

Derek Mountfield 106 games, 19 goals. 1 in 5.5

Mick Lyons 390 games, 48 goals. 1 in 8.
Leighton Baines 342 games, 29 goals. 1 in 11.7
John Hurst 349 games, 29 goals. 1 in 12
Seamus Coleman 256 games, 20 goals. 1 in 12.8

Mountfield phenominal, especially considering how important some of those goals were. Mountfield and Hurst, vital scoring CBs in title winning teams.

Really interesting stats there @Eggs. Thanks for putting that together. Be interesting to see how the averages changed with cup games and Europe. Cottee ended on 99 goals for us but quite a few came in the Simod/ZDS Cup.

There stats also show the paucity of goalscorers for us in the PL era.

Status
Not open for further replies.