Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

^ Play nice...

Barry - it's disappointing it's taken so long.

As for the fee, we'd all have been happy if we bought him for £2.5m last season.

I'm glad he's signing, I was initially concerned about the 3 year contact but he will be a good influence on our younger players. They will get a great deal out of Barry being here longer term.

^ Play nice...

Barry - it's disappointing it's taken so long.

As for the fee, we'd all have been happy if we bought him for £2.5m last season.

I've only seen the 'fee' mentioned in a badly-worded article in The People, which is known for making things up anyway. I would expect that £2.5m refers to the loan fee that we paid to have him last season. I can't see how they could insist on a clause for a player who is out of contract and I can't see why we'd agree to pay it.

He has alluded to having one move left in him, so it would seem correct that we'd offer him a three year deal to ward off interest from rivals and abroad. He positioned himself between the two centrebacks at times last season. Maybe it will become a more deliberate tactic in future to try and save his legs?

Just a reminder that his contract with City lasts until June 30, making him a free agent from July 1st (basic FM knowledge and also the case for most contracts in real life). It could be that we have to wait until July 1st (when City can't demand anything as he is not their player anymore) to officially offer him a contract to avoid paying the £2m fee that people have been talking about. Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in this. I think he'll be signed on tuesday or wednesday (July 1st/2nd), and to be honest I think a 3 year deal seems fair for a player of his calibre. He's got many good seasons left in him imo.
This is exactly why the deal hasn't been done yet I would believe.

His contract expires in just days now so hopefully we see this deal done very soon now!

Contract length doesnt concern me tbh...it would be nice if its the option of a 3rd year like but its not like his game his based on pace and mobility.

His understanding, positional awareness and his all round reading of the game are superb. Ill be happy when we sign him officially.

I think signing him on 3 years is good he seems like the type of lad who knows when his time is up that he'll look for a transfer to the mls or A-league or something like that abit like how Timmy left.

Not sure where this 2.5m comes from and why we agreed to it since he was going to become a free agent, city clearly no mugs!

However I'm sure I heard we had a chance to buy him for 1m in January so that we could then get Rodwell in on loan ( a deal that didn't happen due to city not getting their own target )

I guess that was just paper talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.