Friendlies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our performance against Liverpool will be just like a friendly, then we will all be asking why the club didn't organise an actual friendly to get the players back up to speed.

Still confused why we haven’t had one. Some clubs have had two already.

I read somewhere that Sheffield United had 3 friendlies. It's bizarre I must say.

Our preseasons are notoriously shambolic. Lack of matches, making about 14 subs in the same game, not playing full 90 minutes, playing pub teams, then panic buying about 5 players in the last week of the window.

I read somewhere that Sheffield United had 3 friendlies. It's bizarre I must say.

Our preseasons are notoriously shambolic. Lack of matches, making about 14 subs in the same game, not playing full 90 minutes, playing pub teams, then panic buying about 5 players in the last week of the window.

Chelsea deffo had 2.

Maybe ours are scared we'll have them and not have enough fit players for the derby haha.

Chelsea deffo had 2.

Maybe ours are scared we'll have them and not have enough fit players for the derby haha.

At this point it's the only reason I can think.

Really hope Ancelotti puts pressure on whoever runs these things at the club to make us a good pre-season schedule for once this summer.

Genuinely think the club still hasn't got over Moyes being in charge of everything for a decade.

Really hope Ancelotti puts pressure on whoever runs these things at the club to make us a good pre-season schedule for once this summer.

Genuinely think the club still hasn't got over Moyes being in charge of everything for a decade.

Possibly and maybe it's safe because when you watched those training highlights yesterday I'd forgotten just how absolutely trash our squad is at the minute haha.

IMG-20200615-WA0016.jpg

We don't need to practise getting beat.

We had a brilliant pre-season under martinez playing real, juve etc yet every other season is the same, playing weird crap european teams, lower league english teams and then a sub par spanish side at goodison who make us look average the week before the season starts.

I have made the biggest breakthrough in the history of Everton Football Club, I have come up with the tactical innovation which will set us back on the trophy laden path. I propose we don't play another friendly game ever again, the problem we have is that our players cannot tell the difference between friendlies and real games. The poor lads panic when they discover the other side are actually trying to beat them.
So, no more friendlies, do away with the confusion and get us back on the right path.
All agreed

We had a brilliant pre-season under martinez playing real, juve etc yet every other season is the same, playing weird crap european teams, lower league english teams and then a sub par spanish side at goodison who make us look average the week before the season starts.
In the 80s during our most successful period,we used to tour the West Country. Exeter city etc.

Yeah I see that as that Champions Cup seeking us out that summer as opposed to our organisation crew being proactive.

Could be wrong like but it's mad we've never done a good pre-season comp like that since.

In the 80s during our most successful period,we used to tour the West Country. Exeter city etc.

Different world now though init mate, it just stands to reason that for at least a few of your pre-season games you play teams at your level or just above to test yourself.

I’m not saying it’s true, I’m just saying his reputation is more for being a good man manager and tactician, not really for being a great conditioner. There have been murmurings of his teams being a little undercooked at times. Even the 13th best manager of all time can have weaknesses you know, it’s allowed.

Isn't his son very qualified at this?

He appears very hands off on such things. I think he will have an expectation of the players doing their fair share.

Isn't his son very qualified at this?

He appears very hands off on such things. I think he will have an expectation of the players doing their fair share.
Yeah that’s what I meant really. My understanding is that he’s not necessarily a ballbuster who constantly works on fitness, he just takes care of the football side and has a fairly laissez faire attitude to other things. Obviously that’s why you have back room staff you trust.

It's normally this time of year we're discussing the pre season rumours for the friendlies and waiting to book up trips to them but I'd imagine there wont be any overseas pre seasons this year it'll be very low key.

Status
Not open for further replies.