2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played 3 at the back against Spurs. It's been two weeks.
Since we bought gana, garner and Onana our core formation has been 4 at the back with 3 in front. We shifted to 3 at the back v spurs during the game.

I would say those 3 players (and tarkowski and coady) have had a significant impact on our preferred formation and tactics. And those players were only available at the end of the transfer window.

Since then we’ve played 7 games. Won 3, lost 3 and drawn 1.

A) id argue that 7 games isn’t enough to implement changes to approach given the change in personnel and preferred formation.
B) even if it were enough, the 3 games we lost were not games we should be upset at losing given where we are (spurs and United are miles ahead and Newcastle at away is a tough fixture - look at their record over the last 12 months)

Effectively, we are quite clearly a work in progress, have had significant changes to personnel which has had an impact on preferred formation which in turn has meant limited real world experience (Ie matches) of implementing preferred tactics and approach.

To even compare the team now to the beginning of the season, let alone lampard’s entire reign, is useless if you ignore the context and clear shifts in circumstances (Ie ‘regime shifts’).

It’s especially ridiculous to ignore the context of where we were when he came in. He’s even said explicitly that he couldn’t work on the things he wanted to last year because we were in a relegation battle. So he’s only really started this year and even then it’s been impacted by personnel changes.

I took it that he was talking about in general, as in if you score more and concede less over the course of a season you win more. Which is of course true.

But is also a contradiction to the sentence "the only definitive measure is points."
Fair play. I was simply trying to understand the reasoning behind the question.

Anyway, the important thing as per 'Vindaloo' is...'we'll score one more goal than you!'

I hadn't looked but I assume Seamus was sort of RCB?

Untitled.png

Mykolemko and Gordon almost horizontally opposite on that chart. I wonder if Gordon's extra defensive duties were because Seamus was man-marking Zaha?
Yeah it’ll be a case of not leaving a gap the size of Stanley park between the winger and fullback.

Myko and Grays distance from each other is similar, they’re both just pushed further up the pitch.

I was more pointing to the fact we played more of a back 3 on Saturday than we did at Spurs but you never mentioned we did on Saturday, only whinging about it after Spurs. Spurs looks very much a 4.
The number system is antiquated really. I wouldn't call the Palace one a back 3 because when Palace had the ball Mykolenko was in the backline and so was Coleman but Gordon was not and I'd call the Spurs one that because we dropped back with McNeil being on the left of the backline and Mykolenko in between him and Coady. I also think Coady being to the left of Tarkowski when in the rest of the games he's been on the right suggests they viewed it as a back 3 at Spurs and wanted Coady central like he always was at Wolves. But ultimately this is just a framework for discussing tactics and we don't really do that on this forum so I'm not going to really do a back and forth.

The number system is antiquated really. I wouldn't call the Palace one a back 3 because when Palace had the ball Mykolenko was in the backline and so was Coleman but Gordon was not and I'd call the Spurs one that because we dropped back with McNeil being on the left of the backline and Mykolenko in between him and Coady. I also think Coady being to the left of Tarkowski when in the rest of the games he's been on the right suggests they viewed it as a back 3 at Spurs and wanted Coady central like he always was at Wolves. But ultimately this is just a framework for discussing tactics and we don't really do that on this forum so I'm not going to really do a back and forth.

Didn't read a word of that, I know it'll just be fluff trying to disagree with actual imaged evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.