2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st goal - Brilliant striker play and finish
2nd goal - Brilliant team goal starting from keeper
3rd goal - Brilliant dribble and 1-2 with back heel flick to a finish

Which goal disappointed you as consumer?
Not the part of the post I was talking about but please get enraged over nothing

On the day no. Metrics are useful over time though.

Not really. They can confirm an eye test, granted, as in "Wow, I always reckoned he was crap/great, and his stats back that up." But not one sane manager would sign a player, or play a player, based on stats.

Didnt Wolves have nearly 30 shots against Leicester the other day? Great attacking side eh? Lost 0 4.

Not really. They can confirm an eye test, granted, as in "Wow, I always reckoned he was crap/great, and his stats back that up." But not one sane manager would sign a player, or play a player, based on stats.

Didnt Wolves have nearly 30 shots against Leicester the other day? Great attacking side eh? Lost 0 4.
Yeah that's why trends matter though. You're going to weasel around it but if they played 10 games shooting 30 times a match do you think they'd not win at least 5 of them? This isn't even stats so much as common sense.

I very easily can because points aren't a good predictive measure and if he gets 15 1-0s and we have a vastly negative goal difference (as a simple example) it'll be pretty easy to say we aren't going to keep that up.

That’s a very niche example, especially on the back of a 3-0 win.

I really don’t understand the point you’re making here. Results are results. They’re not predictive of anything (see Koeman and Silva’s first and second seasons). If Lampard banks a good set of results this season that are better than last season we have improved. If we then post a lesser set of results the season after then we have regressed at that point.

You seem to be spinning an argument that you won’t credit Lampard with any improvement should it materialise because in your opinion the results are predictive of non improvement in the future. Just seems bizarre.

If we post 45 points this season we are better at football than we were last season. No ifs or buts. Better results, a better rate of scoring more goals than the opposition on a more regular basis, better football.

That’s a very niche example, especially on the back of a 3-0 win.

I really don’t understand the point you’re making here. Results are results. They’re not predictive of anything (see Koeman and Silva’s first and second seasons). If Lampard banks a good set of results this season that are better than last season we have improved. If we then post a lesser set of results the season after then we have regressed at that point.

You seem to be spinning an argument that you won’t credit Lampard with any improvement should it materialise because in your opinion the results are predictive of non improvement in the future. Just seems bizarre.

If we post 45 points this season we are better at football than we were last season. No ifs or buts. Better results, a better rate of scoring more goals than the opposition on a more regular basis, better football.
Yeah I'm trying to look at it as a more continuous thing though where you don't break off of every season.

Yeah that's why trends matter though. You're going to weasel around it but if they played 10 games shooting 30 times a match do you think they'd not win at least 5 of them? This isn't even stats so much as common sense.

Fortunately there’s a sample size of 38 games you’ll get to judge at the end of the season to find the trend.

Which brings us back to the very original al point. Maybe wait until then before claiming Lampard hasn’t improved anything.

Yeah that's why trends matter though. You're going to weasel around it but if they played 10 games shooting 30 times a match do you think they'd not win at least 5 of them? This isn't even stats so much as common sense
Dunno mate. And football equals common sense? Come off it. Palace had more possession and the same shots as us the other day. We worked their keeper more, which kinda demolishes your "shoot loads" mantra.

Wolves shot 25 times more than Leicester, but scored 4 goals less. Common sense eh?

Dunno mate. And football equals common sense? Come off it. Palace had more possession and the same shots as us the other day. We worked their keeper more, which kinda demolishes your "shoot loads" mantra.

Wolves shot 25 times more than Leicester, but scored 4 goals less. Common sense eh?
OK so just ignore the over time part I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.