Former Everton great Dave Thomas now blind, fundraising for guide dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoysInBlue

Player Valuation: £50m
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...avid-prentice-former-everton-winger-10510009?

Interesting story in today's Echo - I didn't know Thomas had suffered from Glaucoma and was registered blind in 2008. Now he's raising money for Guide Dogs, if anyone wants to help.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Thomas in full flow was an arresting sight.

Socks round his ankles (he point blank refused to wear shin pads), moulded stud boots flashing across even the heaviest surfaces, the Everton winger could deliver crosses from either foot with pinpoint accuracy.

Davey was only an Everton footballer for two seasons, but it is no coincidence that the Toffees finished third and fourth in those campaigns – and in his first season finished top-flight top scorers with 76 league goals.

It is a cruel irony that a footballer so celebrated for his vision, should be denied that sense in later life.

The former Everton favourite was registered blind/partially sighted in 2008 after struggling with glaucoma for 15 years.

And now he wants to raise money for a Guide Dog.

Dave has opened a JustGiving page and explained: “I’m raising money for Guide Dogs, which is a charity very close to my own heart.

“Since losing my sight I have had three operations but unfortunately there is no improvement in my vision. Although I still enjoy golf, fly fishing, carriage driving and gardening, I have to rely on family and friends to take me out.

“This year I decided to apply for a guide dog. Guide Dogs has always been a charity close to my own heart; both of my elderly parents were diagnosed with glaucoma, which is one of the reasons that my wife Brenda and I had moved back to the North East in 2010.

“The support that Guide Dogs have given me during the application process has been life changing. The charity has provided me with long cane training as well as the confidence to go out on my own again to busy places.

“The support of the local Guide Dogs Mobility team have helped me recover my independence and taught me numerous skills to enable me to get out and about safely despite my loss of vision.

“Guide Dogs receive no government funding for the guide dog service and therefore rely entirely on donations from the public and business community. Each lifetime partnership, from birth to retirement, costs the charity a staggering £50,000.

“I would love the opportunity to give back to Guide Dogs for the support they have given me. The money I raise will go towards Guide Dog’s Name a Puppy scheme, which will enable me to sponsor a puppy through their guide dog training, so that they can go on to help someone else who is living with sight loss.

“Sight loss has been life changing but so are Guide Dogs.”

If you want to help David you can make a donation on his JustGiving page.

https://www.justgiving.com/DavidThomas7

God, I never knew Dave was blind.

What a fantastic winger he was.
You always get asked who you favourite player was, and it usually ends up with you naming a couple of them.
Dave Thomas is in that list for me, a proper winger who had shins made of steel.
I am gutted for the fella and reading the article he sounds very positive.

He is one of the reasons why I love Everton playing wingers, them balls GD is putting in reminds me of what DT done all them years ago . Little back lift, no need to take the man on, and most of all pace and direction.

For me he was one of my iconic players

You always get asked who you favourite player was, and it usually ends up with you naming a couple of them.
Dave Thomas is in that list for me, a proper winger who had shins made of steel.
I am gutted for the fella and reading the article he sounds very positive.

He is one of the reasons why I love Everton playing wingers, them balls GD is putting in reminds me of what DT done all them years ago . Little back lift, no need to take the man on, and most of all pace and direction.

For me he was one of my iconic players

.....quite right too. Dave Thomas rarely gets a mention but he was a temendous winger with that unique gift of hitting the bye line at pace and still getting his cross in. Latchford must've loved playing with him.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...avid-prentice-former-everton-winger-10510009?

Interesting story in today's Echo - I didn't know Thomas had suffered from Glaucoma and was registered blind in 2008. Now he's raising money for Guide Dogs, if anyone wants to help.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Thomas in full flow was an arresting sight.

Socks round his ankles (he point blank refused to wear shin pads), moulded stud boots flashing across even the heaviest surfaces, the Everton winger could deliver crosses from either foot with pinpoint accuracy.

Davey was only an Everton footballer for two seasons, but it is no coincidence that the Toffees finished third and fourth in those campaigns – and in his first season finished top-flight top scorers with 76 league goals.

It is a cruel irony that a footballer so celebrated for his vision, should be denied that sense in later life.

The former Everton favourite was registered blind/partially sighted in 2008 after struggling with glaucoma for 15 years.

And now he wants to raise money for a Guide Dog.

Dave has opened a JustGiving page and explained: “I’m raising money for Guide Dogs, which is a charity very close to my own heart.

“Since losing my sight I have had three operations but unfortunately there is no improvement in my vision. Although I still enjoy golf, fly fishing, carriage driving and gardening, I have to rely on family and friends to take me out.

“This year I decided to apply for a guide dog. Guide Dogs has always been a charity close to my own heart; both of my elderly parents were diagnosed with glaucoma, which is one of the reasons that my wife Brenda and I had moved back to the North East in 2010.

“The support that Guide Dogs have given me during the application process has been life changing. The charity has provided me with long cane training as well as the confidence to go out on my own again to busy places.

“The support of the local Guide Dogs Mobility team have helped me recover my independence and taught me numerous skills to enable me to get out and about safely despite my loss of vision.

“Guide Dogs receive no government funding for the guide dog service and therefore rely entirely on donations from the public and business community. Each lifetime partnership, from birth to retirement, costs the charity a staggering £50,000.

“I would love the opportunity to give back to Guide Dogs for the support they have given me. The money I raise will go towards Guide Dog’s Name a Puppy scheme, which will enable me to sponsor a puppy through their guide dog training, so that they can go on to help someone else who is living with sight loss.

“Sight loss has been life changing but so are Guide Dogs.”

If you want to help David you can make a donation on his JustGiving page.

https://www.justgiving.com/DavidThomas7

Fantastic charity and what a fantastic player Dave was

Sad to hear about that but again good to know how positive and giving he still is.

Sad that this charity gets no govt funding. One of the most popular lotteries over here is run by the national organization for the blind with blind people employed selling them and all proceeds used by the organization.

What a class act he was, one of my best memories of him was when we beat Coventry City 6-0 at Goodison. They were a good team tbf, but he ripped them apart., esp iirc the cross for Latchfords hattrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.