Fixtures 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm old and seen it all before, so it doesn't worry me in the slightest.

One thing I did think though is that the club won't be selling many half season tickets for the 2nd half of the season, given most of the glamour home fixtures are in the 1st half.

why would evertonians be buying a half ST to watch the opposition?

they were 8th at the time and finished 7th.

Its the same as saying Moyes didn't win away at a top four side, quite simply untrue!

Talking some pure garbage you. When we played United away in December 2013 they was very much a top 4 team who were having a bad season under a new manager. That Oviedo goal is Martinez's win against a top 4 side. End of story

Talking some pure garbage you. When we played United away in December 2013 they was very much a top 4 team who were having a bad season under a new manager. That Oviedo goal is Martinez's win against a top 4 side. End of story

So a team that was 8th when we played them and finished 7th was a top 4 team!?!?

You've answered your own post.

"who were having a bad season" hence they were not a top 4 side. It literally couldn't be simpler.

But I'm probably just talking pyar garbage lid

But we don't go to those clubs already beaten. We more than matched Manchester City away last year, and put up a fantastic resistance at Chelsea.

And if Baines had scored his penalty, we'd have come away from Old Trafford with a draw. We got a draw at Anfield too, and in difficult circumstances.

Still, we've got four more chances next season!

Sorry but we got loads of plucky draws away with Moyes as well. His Anfield record was actually ok, we didn't win any, but Liverpool didn't win often at home over his spell.

The performances at Anfield and Stamford Bridge were embarrassing this season. We barely threatened at all and just looked to contain. I haven't seen any change in mentality whatsoever. United were there for the taking, we choked, and then we didn't turn up at the Emirates.

What people should also keep in mind is for parts of Moyes' tenure he had a poor side. From 2002 to 2007 (04/05 aside) it was generally quite a poor team slowly rebuilding from our constant relegation scraps. Yet during this period he was going to United a title winning machine under Ferguson, Arsenal's invincible generation, Chelsea under Mourinho and Liverpool under Rafael as champions of Europe. Do people honestly expect we'd just turn up and wipe the floor with those sides on their own patch? No one did that to Mourinho until last season! No we might have got lucky and nicked one but it turns out we didn't.

The second half of his tenure he should have fared better. Arsenal were weak and Liverpool started their decline as well as Chelsea floundering somewhat. And indeed we did come the closest with several unlucky episodes and good wins over a strong City. Undoubtedly though it was a failure not to get a win in this period.

Now however we have probably our strongest prem team whilst United and Liverpool have some of their weakest. Martinez should be targeting wind at these grounds next season not putting teams out for a 0-0 home and away against the worst Liverpool side in recent memory.

We will start off with a nice easy win- I think. So that is a good thing.

.....I always think the worst time to play promoted teams is at the very start to a season. They are full of effort aligned to optimism which tails off after a month or so. Saying that, we have to play them all twice, 25 points at Xmas is the benchmark.

.....I always think the worst time to play promoted teams is at the very start to a season. They are full of effort aligned to optimism which tails off after a month or so. Saying that, we have to play them all twice, 25 points at Xmas is the benchmark.

That's the conventional view - but there are always exceptions.

Leicester City started the season with a home draw - and collected just two wins in their first 18 games.

They finished last season with one defeat and one draw in their last nine games!

Sorry but we got loads of plucky draws away with Moyes as well. His Anfield record was actually ok, we didn't win any, but Liverpool didn't win often at home over his spell.

The performances at Anfield and Stamford Bridge were embarrassing this season. We barely threatened at all and just looked to contain. I haven't seen any change in mentality whatsoever. United were there for the taking, we choked, and then we didn't turn up at the Emirates.

What people should also keep in mind is for parts of Moyes' tenure he had a poor side. From 2002 to 2007 (04/05 aside) it was generally quite a poor team slowly rebuilding from our constant relegation scraps. Yet during this period he was going to United a title winning machine under Ferguson, Arsenal's invincible generation, Chelsea under Mourinho and Liverpool under Rafael as champions of Europe. Do people honestly expect we'd just turn up and wipe the floor with those sides on their own patch? No one did that to Mourinho until last season! No we might have got lucky and nicked one but it turns out we didn't.

The second half of his tenure he should have fared better. Arsenal were weak and Liverpool started their decline as well as Chelsea floundering somewhat. And indeed we did come the closest with several unlucky episodes and good wins over a strong City. Undoubtedly though it was a failure not to get a win in this period.

Now however we have probably our strongest prem team whilst United and Liverpool have some of their weakest. Martinez should be targeting wind at these grounds next season not putting teams out for a 0-0 home and away against the worst Liverpool side in recent memory.

I agree with much you say - I would add that we did put in a very good performance against the reigning champions Manchester City last season.

But I'm not taking sides in this argument - both managers have their own qualities.

You've got to have a balance in the team. The point about playing Barry is that he provides cover and allows the two fullbacks to attack.

If Barry doesn't play, then we need different tactics to cover when the full backs go up. Deulofeu and Mirallas aren't going to give the full backs any support. This formation might look good going forward, but it risks leaving us wide open to counter attacks.
I'm aware of this however more and more whether its age or tactics what Barry does is drop back almost has far as our CBs and makes a back 3. Against teams that will almost certainly play with one up front using 3 to mark 1 is inefficient.

The tactics we played in Martinez's first season have been found out and need to be slightly tweaked. McCarthy and Cleverly could both do the job of a double pivot without having to drop so deep or even just play with one holding midfielder and use our fullbacks normally. Barcelona play a 4-3-3 with two wingers that aren't exactly known to defend and their FBs get forward plenty.

You've got to have a balance in the team. The point about playing Barry is that he provides cover and allows the two fullbacks to attack.

If Barry doesn't play, then we need different tactics to cover when the full backs go up. Deulofeu and Mirallas aren't going to give the full backs any support. This formation might look good going forward, but it risks leaving us wide open to counter attacks.
I'm aware of this however more and more whether its age or tactics what Barry does is drop back almost has far as our CBs and makes a back 3. Against teams that will almost certainly play with one up front using 3 to mark 1 is inefficient.

The tactics we played in Martinez's first season have been found out and need to be slightly tweaked. McCarthy and Cleverly could both do the job of a double pivot without having to drop so deep or even just play with one holding midfielder and use our fullbacks normally. Barcelona play a 4-3-3 with two wingers that aren't exactly known to defend and their FBs get forward plenty.

So a team that was 8th when we played them and finished 7th was a top 4 team!?!?

You've answered your own post.

"who were having a bad season" hence they were not a top 4 side. It literally couldn't be simpler.

But I'm probably just talking pyar garbage lid
The top 4 has always meant the sky top 4 which is Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd and Arsenal.

Where they come is irrelevant because it was the results at those teams that was used to beat Moyes over the head and that's where this all comes from.

Almost totally agree except for the Liverpool game. It was the next game after we had been hammered there going for the win and they're a team that like to play on the counter which means we would have played into their hands like before. Plus we weren't playing well and couldn't afford a loss.

Unfortunately it made for two boring games as neither team really had the balls to go and win them.

Looking at our last 6 fixtures you would think we were playing in the championship.

Watford A
Southampton H
C palace A
Bournemouth H
Leicester A
Norwich H

Status
Not open for further replies.