Fitness

Are Everton Football Club fit enough?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Player Valuation: £10m
First of all - I'm not calling players lazy or even unfit particularly, and this isn't a criticism of Martinez, as I am one of his biggest fans on here at the moment seemingly.

I played Rugby at a decent(ish) level, high enough to have a paid fitness coach. One of the things he always said, which has stuck with me, is that tiredness doesn't just affect your speed and strength, but also affects your decision making and reaction times. This is what I want to address, with yet another winning position turned over in the last 10 minutes.

In the case of the West Ham game, being considerably more tired than the opposition can be understood, and forgiven, given that the players had to play 65 minutes with a man down, doing the extra work. I saw that Barkley ran the most in the game (I think), yet in the last 10 minutes he couldn't close down at all. As I say no criticism of him, I don't consider him 'lazy', but I think its a sign of the technique over fitness approach Martinez has installed.

I remember when Martinez first took over, and everyone was saying about how Moyes wouldn't get the balls out for the first week of pre-season (or whatever it was) just working on fitness, whereas Martinez had the balls out from minute one (ooh Matron). Possibly the reason we are letting goals in is because we are losing that 5% due to less fitness than other sides, and so are reacting slower in the final 10 minutes. It seems to me Deulofeu has fitness issues, and Lukaku looks like needs a break, as does Barkley.

In my opinion, Niasse for Lennon was a like for like switch as Lennon played the role of second striker during the second half. Personally, I would have brought on Deulofeu, but the point is, possibly the reason for the switch in momentum wasn't tactical, but merely fitness issues?

spurs have won more games late on and come back from being a goal down more than often. it can not be a coincidence that we are the exact opposite to spurs, who are regarded as the fittest team in the prem.

physically = mentally fit

A good post and hindsight is a wonderful thing (as they say).

I agree Geri should of been Lennon's replacement as well.

What I don't understand is people saying Roberto should not have taken Lennon off... He's a sprinter - once your legs go, that's game over. It has even been suggested by the manager that Lennon confirmed he was shot.

Perhaps the side is physically fit but mentally weak? That makes sense actually - people talk about 'confidence players' but I think we have a 'confidence team'.

When we play well we look lethal on attack, yet when one unfortunate thing occurs, all their heads go down. Arsenal 2014, 2-0 up in 70th minute, yet Arsenal's first goal back killed us. Bournemouth's the same, we were 2-0 and they came back twice, and also Chelsea, regardless of time played or offside.

Maybe it's all about confidence, because God knows they have the ability. That is entirely down to Martinez to motivate and inspire them even when mentally low.

I'm convinced that the fitness aspect is lacking. We just don't seem to be able to hold our overall shape after about 60min, and that's because we don't have the stamina of other teams.

The teams who are doing well this year are the team's that close down all over the pitch, your Leicester's and Tottenham's. For me possession football in this country, especially played from the back is overrated and leads to losing the ball in dangerous areas. Getting the ball forward quickly to mobile forwards, leaves teams out of position, we as a team do not close down enough and never have under Martinez. We are a dream to play against, this weakness has been largely hidden by the form of Lukaku.

We don't stop crosses are poor in the air and don't have a commanding keeper, an absolute recipe for disaster. We need a manager and coach who can address these problems and no I don't think we are fit enough, you can tell by the amount of late goals we concede.

a big part of spurs success this season is their fitness
regularly covering more distance than the opposing side goes along way to picking up results

The teams who are doing well this year are the team's that close down all over the pitch, your Leicester's and Tottenham's. For me possession football in this country, especially played from the back is overrated and leads to losing the ball in dangerous areas. Getting the ball forward quickly to mobile forwards, leaves teams out of position, we as a team do not close down enough and never have under Martinez. We are a dream to play against, this weakness has been largely hidden by the form of Lukaku.

We don't stop crosses are poor in the air and don't have a commanding keeper, an absolute recipe for disaster. We need a manager and coach who can address these problems and no I don't think we are fit enough, you can tell by the amount of late goals we concede.

To be fair, Robles has done everything right since coming in.

Mentioned during pre season, we looked like we couldn't last a game. Nothing in the way of stamina training seems to have taken place.

get them up the sand dunes Mr Catterick....

Status
Not open for further replies.