Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have been amateurs for ages…many of us raised this years ago and nothing ever changed…

Now now we light up a building in Bogota ... only to have that player ostracized by an absolute waste of molecules.

Football clubs don't have to show consistent profits. The idea is to increase the value of the club whilst minimising losses. We have shown an inability to do either.

I mean this politely mate, but this is nonsense and buzz words. Businesses exist to make a profit. If you want a sustainable sector, that can invest and grow for the long term you need profitable organisations. I'm very wary of people who think you dont need profits.

When I think of what Everton need to do, it begins and ends with running in a profitable way first and foremost. That gives you the best chance to grow.

Value of any business, in the long run is dictated by how much profit is generated. Football now is akin to a huge Ponzi scheme, where there is a bigger fool ready to take over. You eventually run out of fools.

The whole sector is screwed and terribly ran. And there is an arrogance that permeates that profit doesnt matter, with people then becoming irate if football clubs go bust. Its not a cake and eat it scenario.

But within a pretty poor sector, our board are at the worst end of it.

Just come clean and tell the Commission that fair cop we spent the roubles but in mitigation gained no advantage on the pitch and really the Premier League should give us bonus points because we've been Big Blue Bill's Boys for the last 24 years and haven't won nowt with all due respect to the Florida Cup.

If the PL did decide to charge us and we appeal presumably while they wait for the Court of Arbitration for Sport to decide on the case they can't enact any punishment - which would make the situation very messy if we're not relegated, which we defnitely are but for the sake of this hypothetical scenario just imagine (wild I know) that we're not.

Unless we show some level of miraculous player scouting or suddenly find some good players in our youth system, if we go to 60-70% we'll end up relegated anyway. Lower wages get you Tom Davies and Maupay style players. We can't win really
Not at all mate. it just means you have to actually get out there and scout for players and have a proper recruitment plan. Brentford and Brighton both have the lowest wage bills in the league but both have probably the best recruitment setups. Also we do have some decent young lads in the under 21s, they need to be given a chance though. The only concern with that is Dyche is not known as a promoter and developer of young players, he may not have a choice if we get an embargo.

If the PL did decide to charge us and we appeal presumably while they wait for the Court of Arbitration for Sport to decide on the case they can't enact any punishment - which would make the situation very messy if we're not relegated, which we defnitely are but for the sake of this hypothetical scenario just imagine (wild I know) that we're not.
Can’t appeal to the Court of Arbitration.

Can’t appeal to the Court of Arbitration.

Pretty sure we can, it's been mentioned numerous times by esteemed posters on this forum.

From what I understand the amortisation of the book value of our players over the course of their contracts means that we don't breach P&S - clearly the PL have not taken this into account. It's no wonder the best accounts are based in Switzerland, Court of Arbitration for Sport will have this all sorted out in no time

CAS has no involvement in this. None

CAS can only be involved when both parties agree to its arbitration

Premier League rulebook states arbitration is only under English law and seated in England and Wales. With a defined process in the rulebook

Excludes CAS

Premier League rulebook states arbitration is only under English law and seated in England and Wales

Excludes CAS

If Court of Arbitration for Sport doesn't override private company rules then surely we can take this to the European Court of Human Rights?!

Pretty sure we can, it's been mentioned numerous times by esteemed posters on this forum.

From what I understand the amortisation of the book value of our players over the course of their contracts means that we don't breach P&S - clearly the PL have not taken this into account. It's no wonder the best accounts are based in Switzerland, Court of Arbitration for Sport will have this all sorted out in no time

They were wrong. Read the Premier League rulebook.

I have.

Screenshot_20230328-164442_Samsung Notes~2.jpg

Of course, it has relevance to the charge. Even with crystalized COVID losses we would have still failed P&S rules. We presented the Premier League with unaudited accounts that we assured the Premier League would pass the P&S rules when the uncrystallized COVID losses were crystallized.

The Premier League took us at our word. Our whole defence is based on the notion that we would have passed P&S if it were not for a depressed transfer market resulting in lower player trading profits and higher amortisation and wages.. We were not able to quantify those losses in the 20/21 accounts. BDO have resigned and laughably we still haven't quantified those losses in these accounts.

This is what the club stated in the last accounts.

Please note the table above does not include uncrystallised COVID-19
pandemic related losses arising from the significant deterioration in the
player trading market. The ability of the Club to generate material profits on
player trading, which also yields significant wage and amortisation savings
due to the players no longer being contracted to the Club, has unquestionably
resulted in a material and negative impact on the Club across the last three
reporting periods.
The Club is continuing to assess the uncrystallised financial impact caused
by the COVID-19 pandemic and the Board of Directors strongly believe that
a further substantial financial loss, not reflected in the £90.4m cumulative
crystallised figure referred to above, has been incurred by the Club

No wonder BDO ran for the hills.

Our defence to the P&S losses is that we lost money because of COVID, we can't quantify it but we are still working on it. It exemplifies everything that is wrong with the way the club has been run for decades.

Well theres a lot in this, which I will try to deal with sequentially.

It doesnt really matter if BDO left, or we left them or whatever. As I keep saying, you can have as many different Accounts Teams as you wish. There is no rule against that in the rulebook.

As for the 2nd point, I would be surprised if the write downs previously are the issue, as they have previously signed off those write downs. I suspect they were unhappy with something in year 21/22 but I'm not entirely sure what.

The board, from what I can see are perfectly entitled to have write downs. It's one of these strange things football fans get irate about, but honestly this is very common outside of football, and nobody gets the least bit offended by it. I have seen accounting 100 x more dubious on income statements which is easily accepted.

Income statements, P&L etc are essentially trash beyond the top line. I have no idea who thought it a sensible idea from footballs authorities to make that the point of focus and not the balance sheet/cash flow statement. But that's football for you. Either way, the club are perfectly entitled to do write downs, and the PL accepted them, both by not charging the accounts, accepting the accounts, and re affirming that on multiple occasions subsequently.

Those write downs are a bit of a diversion really though, for the exact reason you state, which is that the P&L loss is too big even with those write downs. I'm curious as to what the clubs defence is?

There is of course legitimate questions about how stringent any punishment for what amounts to quite a narrow miss should be (it shouldn't really be more than a warning, but football is corrupt so who knows) but I cant see how they are saying they haven't broken the rules as they stand. Maybe that will become apparent to me. But the PL dont need to change their view on the write downs. That part confuses me a little.

If Court of Arbitration for Sport doesn't override private company rules then surely we can take this to the European Court of Human Rights?!

On what basis would the European Court of Human Rights rule on a matter of company law?

On a private contract between companies (Premier League and member clubs)?

Don’t think so. The independent panel whom is made up of premier league members will review the accounts etc and the apparent ffp breach. Everton will contest with its own evidence. The independent panel will consider and then decide. If there’s a case then there will be a recommendation for punishment if they side with Everton it will all be done.

If we lose and Everton want to appeal we can. But the premier league don’t recognise the Court of Arbitration for this matter, so as far as i am aware it can never get to this level.

Premier League rulebook states arbitration is only under English law and seated in England and Wales. With a defined process in the rulebook

Excludes CAS

Theoretically know, but of course one party could seek legal damages. This is already happening by the way, with lots of clubs outside of Everton.

My question would be though, if the PL was confident in its procedures, why does it make it very difficult, almost impossible for evidence to be heard in an impartial court?

Status
Not open for further replies.