FFP RIP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully its more a luxury tax if clubs spend over a certain amount with the proceeds given across grassroots level in UK/Europe.

Hope no salary cap comes in its the ultimate competition killer.

I genuinely hope you are right.
But unfortunately, I think they will pursue it. They are not interested in how exciting it is for the fans.
They are just interested in how much money they can make. The greed knows no bounds and its the
same for all of the big clubs and City are no different and are just as bad as the rest of them these days.
You are right when you say its great to watch Bayern or Barca or Real Madrid. But only the first few times.
Amazingly it becomes boring when you are playing the same teams at the same stage of the competition
year after year. That's why the Europa League was more fun. Different teams, different away days to different
cities. After visiting Barcelona 5 or 6 years in a row the novelty wears off. I know that may sound daft but it
actually does (not to mention the totaly biased officiating to make sure the favoured teams progress).
A European Super League would kill domestic football as we know it - but as you say maybe in the long run that
is for the best. The game needs to reset itself but I believe before it does it will have to kill itself and they are
doing a pretty good job of that at the moment.

I totally agree, I would like to add that the rivalries in our National game are so much bigger than at European level. Football is a tribal game and the more local the fiercer the rivalry, but the are rivalries North and South, East and West. However glamourous European competition is it Can’t come near the passion of support in the our own National leagues.

I genuinely hope you are right.
But unfortunately, I think they will pursue it. They are not interested in how exciting it is for the fans.
They are just interested in how much money they can make. The greed knows no bounds and its the
same for all of the big clubs and City are no different and are just as bad as the rest of them these days.
You are right when you say its great to watch Bayern or Barca or Real Madrid. But only the first few times.
Amazingly it becomes boring when you are playing the same teams at the same stage of the competition
year after year. That's why the Europa League was more fun. Different teams, different away days to different
cities. After visiting Barcelona 5 or 6 years in a row the novelty wears off. I know that may sound daft but it
actually does (not to mention the totaly biased officiating to make sure the favoured teams progress).
A European Super League would kill domestic football as we know it - but as you say maybe in the long run that
is for the best. The game needs to reset itself but I believe before it does it will have to kill itself and they are
doing a pretty good job of that at the moment.

I doubt it would kill off domestic football. People are used to it. They like it. Relegations, promotions, Europa league battles, Top 4 chases as well as the title race. What does a super league have to that?

The football structure is strong too. It is resilient and will have survived a lot worse than a handful of teams leaving.

I dont mean this as a dig, but the idea football couldn't survive without Manchester City, or Chelsea or Tottenham is for the birds. They are the in vogue teams currently, but if they go, others will replace them.

I've yet to meet anyone who actually wants to watch this super league. A few people are a bit agnostic, kind of wait and see but ot seem dead against. That's from the teams who's clubs are involved in it.

I just dont see them transitioning the numbers.

People always talk about the PL, but that was done in a measured way, and was a 1 in 10 lucky hit, where sky and football moulded perfectly together. It 30nyears to get to this growth too. A super league would need 3 years.

The domestic leagues would survive, and in all honesty what's most likely to happen is the top teams go bust if they forego the huge domestic revenues they have. It has Kerry Packer written all over it.

Youd kind of hope City and their ownership would have the sense to not jump into bed with United/Liverpool and trust a word they have to say. It's a desperate play, from the ownership of two clubs are are trying anything to maintain their power base.

I totally agree, I would like to add that the rivalries in our National game are so much bigger than at European level. Football is a tribal game and the more local the fiercer the rivalry, but the are rivalries North and South, East and West. However glamourous European competition is it Can’t come near the passion of support in the our own National leagues.

I always think what makes the European games what they are is a mixture of the infrequence of games, and also that it's an add on to the league structure. It's the cherry on the cake.

It works as a nice contrast to the leagues. It appears glamorous, different and interesting. The balance works really nicely. I dont think theres the shared history, or appetite to do it every week in a league format. It loses all of its USP.

Salary cap and limit the amount of of non UK home grown players, league needs to be a level playing field. F1 is boring with mr Hamilton winning everything for being in the best car and that’s how football generally is too, Man City will dominate for years at this rate

Personally i think big money signings will not come before the stadium is near completion.. Obviously the clear out is first on the agenda and i can see DECENT players coming in but not GREAT players. When the stadium is built, at £500 million and we only have a half decent squad of players as now, think we're going to look a little foolish. In my eyes, its like building the 02 or Manchester Arena and going to watch Karaoke pub singers! The new stadium will DEMAND great players for us all to see every game.

Last edited:
It's just not feasible.

Let's be brutally honest, IF they were to succeed with a European Super League, then they're asking (from a UK perspective) Sky or BT to stump up even more money than what they'd get from Champions League, and a way to increase the revenue for the domestic league (on the basis that they'll continue in both).

What's the appeal? I know as a City fan, you've looked from the outside for the majority of recent time, before the last decade, so it's a fair reflection on your behalf, but what is the appeal? The lure of drawing a Barca/Real/Bayern must be amazing, and then getting to see your team play there, and win and progress must be things dreams are made of, but what excitement is there, if it's just a League game? And they know that.

As a person who doesn't subscribe to any of the channels, due to the prices anyway, why would anyone outside of the chosen few pay for subscriptions? I don't do it for the Champions League, so why am I doing it for a league we'll never be part of.

COVID has had lots of negatives, but there are some things we'll take away from it, and it could be the return of a fair balance in football, and I'm excited for that.
I agree with what you said about subscriptions, there’s not a chance I would pay to watch some league I have no interest in. I watch CL games now because like you say, one day I’d hope we could qualify and draw Barca or Madrid, but if that chance went with the formation of a super league then it would kill my interest.

I agree with what you said about subscriptions, there’s not a chance I would pay to watch some league I have no interest in. I watch CL games now because like you say, one day I’d hope we could qualify and draw Barca or Madrid, but if that chance went with the formation of a super league then it would kill my interest.

And not only that, but most of the fans I've heard of those teams are not really bothered about the super league. Some are dead against it. Hardly met anyone for it.

I mean in essence it’s just the same as paying to watch La Liga, or Serie A.

Yes, you May watch it because you’ve got Sky or BT, but would you pay? No chance, unless you’ve got investment in it.

Theres no appeal to it, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re going to try launch a new platform to maximise those revenue streams.

How many of the “top” games have been good this season... From an English perspective? They’re too cagey, I’m not interested.

Show me Leicester Vs. Leeds or whatever, all day.

I mean in essence it’s just the same as paying to watch La Liga, or Serie A.

Yes, you May watch it because you’ve got Sky or BT, but would you pay? No chance, unless you’ve got investment in it.

Theres no appeal to it, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re going to try launch a new platform to maximise those revenue streams.

How many of the “top” games have been good this season... From an English perspective? They’re too cagey, I’m not interested.

Show me Leicester Vs. Leeds or whatever, all day.
I got as much enjoyment watching Maidenhead vs Alty on Saturday as I do the CL. I only have the sports channels for other sports (Motorbike racing) that Mrs S also likes watching. If it were just football, I'd jack it off fo moody little rivers.

Personally i think big money signings will not come before the stadium is near completion.. Obviously the clear out is first on the agenda and i can see DECENT players coming in but not GREAT players. When the stadium is built, at £500 million and we only have a half decent squad of players as now, think we're going to look a little foolish. In my eyes, its like building the 02 or Manchester Arena and going to watch Karaoke pub singers! The new stadium will DEMAND great players for us all to see every game.

The stadium plan has to knit with progression on the pitch, there’ll be funds for players, we just need to spend it right,

Status
Not open for further replies.