Fandango and Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHobbit

Player Valuation: £225k
So, a pro wrestler, who goes by the name of Fandango, today tweeted a picture of himself in an Everton top that I believe he received from our club as a gift. He was then asked by Alan Myers to be our guest for a match and come on the pitch to meet the fans.

A little backstory this this situation, a few months ago during preseason, Everton fans on Twitter tried to get Fandango to be an Evertonian. He had a little back-and-forth with the Everton Official account and, I guess, ultimately decided to become an Evertonian.

While the majority of reactions are positive, I've seen a few fans bring up an interesting question. Is there a bit of a circus going on at Everton, what with the changes in manager and such? We definitely seem more active than we ever were on the social media front, and we were frontrunners last season. The fiestas and marches all seem to be happening so rapidly. Is this a good thing for the club? Or does it make us look silly and a little unprofessional?

Silly and unprofessional? Mate we're the only club that can have over 125 years of glorious history and still roll out a guy dressed up as a gaint bawbag on matchday.

It's fantastic. A PR coup from a club infamous for failing to take opportunities.

This guy is known to millions of people and whether you like wrestling or not it's a great chance to appeal to families in Britain and possibly break into the US market a bit more too.

This is far more viable than the very tenuous link Sylvester Stallone had to the club. It's a big well done to the club from me.

Silly and unprofessional? Mate we're the only club that can have over 125 years of glorious history and still roll out a guy dressed up as a gaint bawbag on matchday.

I was asking the question that was being asked on Twitter. I don't see a problem with what the club is doing.

So, a pro wrestler, who goes by the name of Fandango, today tweeted a picture of himself in an Everton top that I believe he received from our club as a gift. He was then asked by Alan Myers to be our guest for a match and come on the pitch to meet the fans.

A little backstory this this situation, a few months ago during preseason, Everton fans on Twitter tried to get Fandango to be an Evertonian. He had a little back-and-forth with the Everton Official account and, I guess, ultimately decided to become an Evertonian.

While the majority of reactions are positive, I've seen a few fans bring up an interesting question. Is there a bit of a circus going on at Everton, what with the changes in manager and such? We definitely seem more active than we ever were on the social media front, and we were frontrunners last season. The fiestas and marches all seem to be happening so rapidly. Is this a good thing for the club? Or does it make us look silly and a little unprofessional?

You seem to be lumping in everything together - fan engagement, improving the matchday, getting publicity, harmless banter....

First of all there is nothing silly or unprofessional about it. The WWE star Fandango is a known tv star, on Sky multiple times a week and known in 100s of countries where WWE is shown. He has 280,000 followers on Twitter. Whether you like WWE or not, he's known to a lot of people and Everton being 'put over' by a star like that only helps to expand the fanbase. The actual origins of Fandango/Everton stem from the Wrestlemania event in New York this past April, as lots of British fans (particularly Everton fans) were in attendance, and he became something of a cult favourite, with fans singing his entrance theme tune. This led to loads of fans in the U.K. purchasing his entrance theme music on iTunes. It reached #44 on the UK singles charts in April, just a few hundred shy of breaking into the top 40. Fandango has had some banter back & forth with Everton fans since then, and as recently as last month, was tweeting about Everton beating Chelsea. For all intents and purposes, Everton have become 'his Prem team'.

As for the other stuff, I wouldn't say it's 'a circus' at all. Fan engagement is not a dirty concept, it's a massive positive. We should have been doing all this stuff years ago. Man Utd think nothing of having Usain Bolt in a Man Utd shirt (a few weeks ago).

The themed matchdays are done for very good reason. You should read this:
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peoples-club-everton-fc-aim-6159895

Last edited:

Nor do I mate. As said some of the WWE fellas have millions of fans/twaddle followers. Anything that gets the club exposure should be welcomed. I was just saying if Mr Testicles can get on the pitch we haven't set the bar very high.

[video=youtube;UJtMhoqBBeA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJtMhoqBBeA[/video]

Can we play this when we score now?

why is he called Fandango though, does he dance as well as wrestle?

He does a Strictly Come Dancing ballroom dancer gimmick. He's supposed to be a bad guy, but dances to the ring with a fit girl, and he's become a bit of a cult favourite because of it.

why is he called Fandango though, does he dance as well as wrestle?

His wrestling gimmick is that he is a dancer...

20130410_Fandango_642.jpg

BWXIFVZCUAAW1sY.jpg

He does a Strictly Come Dancing ballroom dancer gimmick. He's supposed to be a bad guy, but dances to the ring with a fit girl, and he's become a bit of a cult favourite because of it.

haha he sounds boss, sign him up plz!

what are the chances of Kenwright making an appearance in some sort of Nacho Libre mexican wrestlers outfit too ???

Status
Not open for further replies.