Homepage Update: Everton's Managerial Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do keep up old chap, call yourself an Evertonian?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-paulo-fonseca-shakhtar-donetsk-a8080861.html

Everton's search for a new long-term manager became even harder last night as it emerged Shakhtar Donetsk blocked their move for Paulo Fonseca.

Everton had targeted Fonseca to take over, whether now or after Sam Allardyce's planned interim stint, and their owner Farhad Moshiri even met with Fonseca and agent Jorge Mendes over the weekend to discuss the move.

But Shakhtar have blocked the move for now, just as Watford stopped their Portuguese manager Marco Silva from taking over at Goodison Park.
Not exactly concrete mate.

Silva suffers from a degree of familiarity whereas Fonseca still retains the mystery of a 'foreign' manager and has that allure.

If Silva was still in work and potentially joining from a club abroad, then I think people would be more inclined generally to look on him in a more positive light.

They both share a lot in common. In reality there doesn't appear to be a lot between them although Fonseca showed he can set up a team to compete at UCL level and doesn't appear to have the defensive question marks that Silva does. Silva, on the other hand, has at least some experience of what it's like to manage here.

I have seen a lot of positive articles and praise floating about for Silva in the last week or so, which is encouraging to read. Whoever we might get in will be a gamble but even though we might be in for a rough teething period under either man, I am confident that either of them would prove to be an upgrade on Allardyce in the medium term.

Whoever comes has to be given a clear instruction that yes we have money but he has to develop the younger players. Lookman is the easiest example. We could all see he needed time but Sam couldn't see or wouldn't take a chance on him. Players like Davies, Bangingme, Dowell, Holgate, DCL, Vlasic, Kenny. I think whoever comes in and tries to build a team for the future using these players and more will get time from the fans.

Silva suffers from a degree of familiarity whereas Fonseca still retains the mystery of a 'foreign' manager and has that allure.

If Silva was still in work and potentially joining from a club abroad, then I think people would be more inclined generally to look on him in a more positive light.

They both share a lot in common. In reality there doesn't appear to be a lot between them although Fonseca showed he can set up a team to compete at UCL level and doesn't appear to have the defensive question marks that Silva does. Silva, on the other hand, has at least some experience of what it's like to manage here.

I have seen a lot of positive articles and praise floating about for Silva in the last week or so, which is encouraging to read. Whoever we might get in will be a gamble but even though we might be in for a rough teething period under either man, I am confident that either of them would prove to be an upgrade on Allardyce in the medium term.
I was one of those championing Silva after seeing the initial impact he made at Hull.
He showed he could at least try and polish a turd.
His move to Watford gave him a higher profile and again his early stages there looked good. That club though seemed more troubled than ours behind the scenes and the reason he accepted the decision to bin him so meekly.
The fact he hadnt been touted for many of the jobs becoming vacant as the season wore on and that he has remained out of the spotlight makes me think he will be favourite for our hot seat, probably already a done deal since Fonseca seems to want a bigger club, even West Ham if you believe some of the rags.

Moving away from my MartinezMk2 opinion of Silva.

He almost achieved the impossible with Hull (doomed before his arrival), was doing ok at Watford till we turned his head, and has CL experience with Olympiacos.

Status
Not open for further replies.