Everton Youth Teams Thread

...the possible saving grace regarding the 2nd loan is something I read saying this had been promised ‘as part of his ‘pathway’. I’d still have thought potential promotion to the first team would’ve usurped that agreement, so perhaps the club is looking for a return on its investment.

I mean it's possible the player insisted on that side of the bargain and wanted to play. If thats happened it seems short sighted to me on his part.

I like Gibson but he’s still got to prove himself. He was good at League 1. Fleetwood , now at 20 he’s got a chance at Championship Reading so who knows. We‘ve been pursuing two 22 year olds Tomori and Godfrey on the back of their Championship and PL performances , Holgate was 22 when he went to the Championship with WBA and kicked on so we can afford to see how he does over the next two years.
On the positive side with Gibson 20 , Astley nearly 19, Branthwaite 18 and a bunch of decent 16/17 year olds coming through we could have our CB positions sorted for years to come.

yep exactly.. feels cut throat too with this one. He has an excellent CV and ticked all my minimum requirements to show he had it...his only fault is he is two years younger in his experience. That’s my take anyway...Did Branthwaite leapfrog cos he is better or again being in the squad at the right time and place to take your chance.

But agree.. going on loan was not a good sign as it meant he didn’t tick the final box.. being in the first team squad by 20.

I feel very strongly around high potentials given game time... hence the disappointment.. is what it is.... and of course every player in blue has full unwavering support..
Who's to say that Gibson doesn't smash it at Reading, and when he comes back we decide to keep him and get rid of one of our other defenders. It happened this season with Ben White and Shane Duffy at Brighton.

The ball is in Gibson's court to perform at reading and give the club a headache next summer. He's certainly capable of it in my opinion.

I think the 2nd loan is a big set back. Sure the first one to Fleetwood you could make some sense of, but we were very short and they were happy for him to go.

We all want to see young players coming through, but there also has to be a pragmatism. I saw Brighton had turned down bigs of £30m for Ben White who hadn't played for them but had a season at Leeds and impressed in the championship. If Gibson can do well, and we get bids even approaching that it will be very successful for the club and tmhe player himself. It's how we will start showing profits in the accounts.
I still think Gibson has a decent chance of making it at Everton, at least one of Keane and Mina will be on their way in the next twelve months.

Some England squads announced:
Davies ( and Godfrey) in u21s
Gordon U20s, I’m surprised Simms didn’t make it , Bobby Duncan who was mentioned a few days ago somehow gets in.
No Everton players in u19 or u 18 . I’m also surprised that Onyango, Dobbin, Welch havent been listed at u18 , I’m aware Dobbin is currently injured. It’s listed as a “training camp “ so maybe we have held them back .

Some England squads announced:
Davies ( and Godfrey) in u21s
Gordon U20s, I’m surprised Simms didn’t make it , Bobby Duncan who was mentioned a few days ago somehow gets in.
No Everton players in u19 or u 18 . I’m also surprised that Onyango, Dobbin, Welch havent been listed at u18 , I’m aware Dobbin is currently injured. It’s listed as a “training camp “ so maybe we have held them back .

Yeah I was surprised Bobby Duncan got in. Has Carsley come from Derby to take the England job by any chance?

What makes you think that they will be on the way mate?
Well they are both average players and are similar in style, they will both get a decent transfer fee, with Keane in the England squad maybe a profit on what we paid for him, so one will go sooner or later and the other one a bit further down the line will follow suit, that’s my belief also my wish.

Well they are both average players and are similar in style, they will both get a decent transfer fee, with Keane in the England squad maybe a profit on what we paid for him, so one will go sooner or later and the other one a bit further down the line will follow suit, that’s my belief also my wish.

keane just signed a new long term contract about 2 weeks ago, Mina will be the one to go with only 2 years left next summer.

I don't think the loan for Gibson is worrying at all. As has been said before, Ben White has just shown there's a path to get to the Premier League through several well thought out loans. In fact their paths look very similar so far, except White started out earlier in League 2 while Gibson won Leagues in the reserves.

If Gibson can establish himself in the Championship at 20 he'll absolutely be on the development path to become a Premier League player. While attackers tend to have their breakthroughs at 18-20, defenders generally come a bit later, especially in the elite leagues. It's all up to him now.

Sorry mate I don’t understand the Carsley/ Derby context , he’s been manager of England u20 for about a year. I’d take him on our staff in an instance, innovative and great experience working with younger players.

Sorry mate for some reason I thought he had been Derby coach and only just taken over England u20's lol I was putting 2 & 2 together and coming up with 8 (that he might have seen Duncan training at Derby if he was a coach there)

Last edited: