Everton Youth Teams Thread

nice words about broadhead

Battling Display Pleases Unsy

by Mike Taylor @Everton 24 January 2017 12:10

David Unsworth says his Under-23s side learned an important lesson as they battled to a 1-1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League Cup.

On a chilly evening at Telford’s New Bucks Head, the hosts took the lead nine minutes before the interval as Will Randall found the net with a 20-yard drive.

But Liam Walsh rescued a point with a late penalty to earn a well-deserved point and preserve the Toffees’ place at the top of Group D with two rounds of fixtures to play.

Speaking after the game, coach Unsworth was satisfied with his side’s approach on a night that “was not for total football”.

“I said to the players that you can’t always play perfect football on cold winter nights away from home where the opposition are right up for it - sometimes you just have to grind out a result,” he told evertonfc.com. “I feel the spirit in our group allows us to do that - this group of players never ever give up a fight.

“Sometimes you might have to get a scrappy goal late on - and that’s fine, that’s allowed, as long as you do the ugly things well, battle hard and defend as a team unit. It was a good lesson in that respect.

“It was a tough battle and it was good to take a point from the game because I think our hard work - right up until the final whistle - deserved at least that. We were relentless in the second half and got our reward at the end.”

Unsworth also reserved praise for Wales youth international forward Nathan Broadhead, who has worked his way into the Under-23s side after shining for the Under-18s.

He added: “Nathan has been one of the best Under-18s players in the last two years but it’s a massive jump up to the Under-23s. You’re giving away four or five years in terms of the players you’re up against and Nathan has had to be patient when he might have felt that he should have been playing.

“But what he has done is work his socks off every day. He’s lived in the gym and physically he’s grown so he can really compete. Fitness-wise he’s so much better, but also from a tactical point of view, he understands the game a lot more in terms of the demands of senior football.”

We seem to have adopted a different approach to many when it comes to bringing young players to the club...I think we may have learned the hard way.

We seem to be chasing youngsters in the 18-20 age group. Players who are maybe not just ready yet for the first team, but awfully close to it.
These players can see a clear path to the first team at Everton. I remember the previous manager talking about a player of this type that had recently signed for Everton and they had discussed with him what was expected, what he had to achieve and an expected time when he should expect to be around the first team.

I see a lot of other clubs spending large sums on very young boys and we have seen over the years how many fall by the wayside, even the most talented.

nice words about broadhead

Battling Display Pleases Unsy

by Mike Taylor @Everton 24 January 2017 12:10

David Unsworth says his Under-23s side learned an important lesson as they battled to a 1-1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Premier League Cup.

On a chilly evening at Telford’s New Bucks Head, the hosts took the lead nine minutes before the interval as Will Randall found the net with a 20-yard drive.

But Liam Walsh rescued a point with a late penalty to earn a well-deserved point and preserve the Toffees’ place at the top of Group D with two rounds of fixtures to play.

Speaking after the game, coach Unsworth was satisfied with his side’s approach on a night that “was not for total football”.

“I said to the players that you can’t always play perfect football on cold winter nights away from home where the opposition are right up for it - sometimes you just have to grind out a result,” he told evertonfc.com. “I feel the spirit in our group allows us to do that - this group of players never ever give up a fight.

“Sometimes you might have to get a scrappy goal late on - and that’s fine, that’s allowed, as long as you do the ugly things well, battle hard and defend as a team unit. It was a good lesson in that respect.

“It was a tough battle and it was good to take a point from the game because I think our hard work - right up until the final whistle - deserved at least that. We were relentless in the second half and got our reward at the end.”

Unsworth also reserved praise for Wales youth international forward Nathan Broadhead, who has worked his way into the Under-23s side after shining for the Under-18s.

He added: “Nathan has been one of the best Under-18s players in the last two years but it’s a massive jump up to the Under-23s. You’re giving away four or five years in terms of the players you’re up against and Nathan has had to be patient when he might have felt that he should have been playing.

“But what he has done is work his socks off every day. He’s lived in the gym and physically he’s grown so he can really compete. Fitness-wise he’s so much better, but also from a tactical point of view, he understands the game a lot more in terms of the demands of senior football.”
Unsy is so smart in his comments about youngsters, a great boost for Broadhead who must be looking at his colleagues from last season like Brewster and Holland and wondering if he'll get another contract. If as we suspect WHU bought Holland on his England performances then clubs would be falling over themselves if the FA Wales pulled their finger out and showed his 5 goals in two games for Wales U19s last November . His hat trick in the second game was up there with Dowell's three last season.

..perhaps, I thought Gosling was a Bosman. We were slow renewing his contract when he was injured and he moved on a lucrative Bosman, pocketing a substantial signing fee.
Yeah but he was under 24 and there would normally have been a fee agreed by tribunal but because we made a verbal contract offer and not in writing we didn't get a fee. I think it's the same thing here.

..perhaps, I thought Gosling was a Bosman. We were slow renewing his contract when he was injured and he moved on a lucrative Bosman, pocketing a substantial signing fee.
I think what upset us was there was a verbal agreement between both parties to sign a new contract. In true Everton fashion nobody to prepare the paperwork and as soon as his contract was up he signed with Newcastle.

He didnt come through the ranks but I'm sure we paid something like £1m to Plymouth. Money wasted because some penpusher didnt do their job.

Unsy is so smart in his comments about youngsters, a great boost for Broadhead who must be looking at his colleagues from last season like Brewster and Holland and wondering if he'll get another contract. If as we suspect WHU bought Holland on his England performances then clubs would be falling over themselves if the FA Wales pulled their finger out and showed his 5 goals in two games for Wales U19s last November . His hat trick in the second game was up there with Dowell's three last season.
Is Brewster only on loan at Southport?

I think what upset us was there was a verbal agreement between both parties to sign a new contract. In true Everton fashion nobody to prepare the paperwork and as soon as his contract was up he signed with Newcastle.

He didnt come through the ranks but I'm sure we paid something like £1m to Plymouth. Money wasted because some penpusher didnt do their job.

...it turned out to be a very astute financial deal for him. He pocketed a sizeable signing fee (£1m) with a salary hike but was sidelined at Newcastle for a long time. He's now back in the Premier League.

...it turned out to be a very astute financial deal for him. He pocketed a sizeable signing fee (£1m) with a salary hike but was sidelined at Newcastle for a long time. He's now back in the Premier League.
Dont like seeing any player get a serious injury but I remember not being overly upset when he suffered his. Only a handful of games into the season iirc.

Dont like seeing any player get a serious injury but I remember not being overly upset when he suffered his. Only a handful of games into the season iirc.

...I get mixed up but I recall the horrific knee injury he got when a keeper clattered him. I knew right away it was a bad one but I blamed him for not getting his shot away immediately.

I know, didn't really want to bring back bad memories of incompetence!

By the way Unsworth is guest on radio Merseyside sport tomorrow night between 6-7pm. Be worth a listen.