Everton Youth Teams Thread

Do you not think they play in a way that mirrors the manager? Or am I being too hard on Unsworth.
No and I’m not having that it was the players available. That Newcastle cup
Final game was awful. I know we won, but still it was painful viewing and I would imagine Brands & silva weren’t very impressed in the stands.

All Virginia did was kick it long to Hornby, surely he could have played it out to the defenders a few times. And it was like as soon as we got the goal it was drop back to the edge of our own box, very much David moyes school of managing. I thought unsworth may have moved on this year and a new coach the same philosophy as Silva brought in.

No and I’m not having that it was the players available. That Newcastle cup
Final game was awful. I know we won, but still it was painful viewing and I would imagine Brands & silva weren’t very impressed in the stands.

All Virginia did was kick it long to Hornby, surely he could have played it out to the defenders a few times. And it was like as soon as we got the goal it was drop back to the edge of our own box, very much David moyes school of managing. I thought unsworth may have moved on this year and a new coach the same philosophy as Silva brought in.
Agree. While over the season our defence was the major factor in winning, it should have allowed us to play more attacking football . Unsworth’s reasoning for not playing Gordon more was pretty poor. Next season we’ve got a bunch of exciting players moving up from the u18s in attackers Simms, Phillips, Adedoyin and the midfielders Iversen , and younger players Bobby Carroll, Mackenzie Hunt. I’d rather see these youngsters developed even if their inexperience means we don’t win the league.

Yes mate I think you are right to a certain extent. That's what Usworth was good at ( defending) so it makes sense. I just feel that also he has to work with what's available and of course he's allowed to sign players (DCL, Sambou, Markelo, Bowler, and so on) but we still haven't purchased or brought through a proper gem and I think these are known ( like Rooney or Barkley) very early on.
I just got the feeling last year that it was all about winning, rather than developing players. The cynic in me would say that was to the benefit of his own CV.

I half expected Marcel to have brought in a new U23 manager by now who would be more in line with the more open style of football the club is looking to play throughout it's ranks. The fact that he hasn't leads me to believe that Unsworth is fully on board and I'm actually doing him a dis-service.

I just got the feeling last year that it was all about winning, rather than developing players. The cynic in me would say that was to the benefit of his own CV.

I half expected Marcel to have brought in a new U23 manager by now who would be more in line with the more open style of football the club is looking to play throughout it's ranks. The fact that he hasn't leads me to believe that Unsworth is fully on board and I'm actually doing him a dis-service.

No mate I don't think your being harsh he's allowed to have some negative feedback because you wouldn't be alone.

I think it will be a big season next year for the u23's and Unsworth in particular, 2 titles and a cup in 3 seasons is some doing. Can he do it again with a new batch and start implementing what Silva/Brands wants or does he got an offer to be his own boss

If Wigan have a poor start to the season I can see them going right in for him due to the Royle connection

We never seem to that’s all but maybe Brands thinks there are too many levels in academy football as it’s not the same over in Holland.

The yoot in this country defo suffers due to the reserve team set up.

They tried to improve it with the U23 league, but its still a terrible, terrible standard, all the better players go on loan or play in the first team.

I mean who was the last person to shine in the U23s and make a break in the first team?

They tried to improve it with the U23 league, but its still a terrible, terrible standard, all the better players go on loan or play in the first team.

I mean who was the last person to shine in the U23s and make a break in the first team?
Probably Davies. And he's hounded on here. To a lesser extent Kenny.

Me too. But he hasn't, so I'm wondering why.
This is also replying to your post above this one.

I was thinking maybe we hire a coach fir the under 23’s who know silva or Brands, who gets the job fir 5yrs on a big wage, so not interested in jumping ship and he doesn’t get sacked either,

Is whole purpose is to develop the young players and play the same way/style as the first team

A lot of criticism for Unsworth who has won the u23 league 2 out of the last three years. It might not have been the best football but it was winning football creating a winning mentality for the players, and maybe the attackers in the team just aren’t good enough.

People saying it’s all about Unsworth’s cv are being harsh, he doesn’t seem that type and maybe it’s more for the players cv’s who aren’t going to make it at Everton.

Also maybe Everton are more likely able to sell players who have won the league

OUMARRRRRR

No, but yeh get your point. Just think about the best talents in world football, how old are they? 18-21. Where are they playing? In the first team.

If you’re in that age bracket and still stuck playing rezzy football you’re not really improving.

A lot of criticism for Unsworth who has won the u23 league 2 out of the last three years. It might not have been the best football but it was winning football creating a winning mentality for the players, and maybe the attackers in the team just aren’t good enough.

People saying it’s all about Unsworth’s cv are being harsh, he doesn’t seem that type and maybe it’s more for the players cv’s who aren’t going to make it at Everton.

Also maybe Everton are more likely able to sell players who have won the league
I think it is all about his own CV, yes it’s great to win but it’s not the main objective of youth football.

The season 17/18 we had no chance of winning the league with 5/6 games to go, probably finishing 4th or 5th was the best we could hope for.
Yet he still kept playing Garbutt, Conor Grant and David Henen, all in there 20’s with no future, 2 went at the end of the season and garbutt who’s about 25 is on loan and will be leaving very soon I would imagine. Why wasn’t some of the under 18’s moved up to Take their places for the remaining games.

It’s like this season, I know we were going for the league, but sambou had no future and wasn’t even that great at under 23. Antony Gordon who is seen as the future should have been playing every week last season in the 10 role, at least the system would mirrored the first team.

And one more thing do we really want Antony Gordon coached under a negative manger fir the next 2 years. It will be all about defending and getting behind the ball. If/when he moves up to the first team, all of a sudden he will be asked to play a totally different way under Silva.

I think it is all about his own CV, yes it’s great to win but it’s not the main objective of youth football.

The season 17/18 we had no chance of winning the league with 5/6 games to go, probably finishing 4th or 5th was the best we could hope for.
Yet he still kept playing Garbutt, Conor Grant and David Henen, all in there 20’s with no future, 2 went at the end of the season and garbutt who’s about 25 is on loan and will be leaving very soon I would imagine. Why wasn’t some of the under 18’s moved up to Take their places for the remaining games.

It’s like this season, I know we were going for the league, but sambou had no future and wasn’t even that great at under 23. Antony Gordon who is seen as the future should have been playing every week last season in the 10 role, at least the system would mirrored the first team.

And one more thing do we really want Antony Gordon coached under a negative manger fir the next 2 years. It will be all about defending and getting behind the ball. If/when he moves up to the first team, all of a sudden he will be asked to play a totally different way under Silva.

Youth football should always be about development and if you can win then it’s an added bonus. Don’t know how anyone can not see Unsworth doing last season for his CV.