Everton, West Ham and Newcastle leading calls for Premier League's Big Six to be hit with points deductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpy Glassman

Player Valuation: £30m

AHEAD OF THE GAME: Everton, West Ham and Newcastle leading calls for Premier League's Big Six to be hit with points deductions for European Super League debacle rather than fining billionaire-owned clubs​

• Other Premier League sides accept sanction is not practical due to legal battle
  • The Premier League Board are under pressure to get matter resolved quickly

Everton, West Ham and Newcastle are leading the push for the Big Six to be punished by the Premier League for seeking to join the defunct European Super League.
While all three are lobbying for points deductions on the grounds that fining a club owned by a billionaire would be an empty gesture, there is an acceptance among the other clubs that such a sanction is not practical as it would lead to a lengthy legal battle.
The Premier League Board are considering their options and are under pressure to get the matter resolved before the clubs' end-of-season shareholders' meeting next month.
As revealed by Sportsmail last month, the Premier League have also launched a new charter that all clubs must sign which commits them to staying in the existing European competition structures rather than forming breakaway leagues.

Man City could get a 10 point deduction and we’d still finish 25 points behind them
Would be better to start next season with a 20 point deduction. Honestly, someone made the comment about a month ago it would be "best" to do a 50-60 point deduction as it would basically be guaranteed relegation for 3 of the clubs but it would be an insane year with those clubs simply trying to survive.

Would be better to start next season with a 20 point deduction. Honestly, someone made the comment about a month ago it would be "best" to do a 50-60 point deduction as it would basically be guaranteed relegation for 3 of the clubs but it would be an insane year with those clubs simply trying to survive.
tenor.gif

And in the next day's article:

Everton hit with points deduction for insisting that the 6 clubs receive a points deduction. A PL spokesperson said while what the others did was bad, 'playing the ref' was truly abhorrent and that Everton deserve the 100 points penalty they have been docked and serves as a warning to all other clubs. (although this turned out to be the one and only time it was ever issued.)

At first I was surprised that Leicester wasn't in the mix at well, but then I realized that if you've won a legitimate title you don't then want one that comes with an asterisk.

Realistically there has to be some form of punishment, I don’t know what that should be but there needs to be a precedent set for the sake of the whole league structure and competition. If those involved go unpunished and it merely ends up with a slap on the wrist, what does that say about their backing for the rest of the pyramid who respect the rules..?
signing a contract saying ‘we promise not to do that again’ is no deterrent whatsoever for the 6 who will continually attempt to subvert the rules for their own financial gain.. Absolute shambles

Last edited:
They can't punish them as they haven't broken any rules as far as I know. They need to change the rules so they can't do it again but I don't think they can deduct points or fine them.

Status
Not open for further replies.