Everton vs Swansea City. FA Cup 5th Round, 16th Feb 2014 @ 13:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to Billy Ingham who sits a couple of rows behind me. He simply said 'We didn't play well but we won.' Then he just smiled to me. What a legend.

got away with it today and of the teams left we had to get a terrible away draw, can see arsenal going out champs league so they will be well up for it, did barry and mcarthy play today never seen our back 4 so exposed
and as for traore he looks shocking, lack of match fitness isnt an excuse for every ball bouncing 5 yards off him, he was embarrasing, naismith however was brilliant when he came on

It's interesting hearing pundits lauding praise on our full backs today, maybe we take them for granted sometimes but they are both fantastic players.
On the game itself, it wasn't great but unusually for me I felt the goals and win would come. As a few people have said, patience is the key with our football at home now.

The problem is if we start like that against the likes of Arsenal we will be murdered. Swansea should've scored in the first few minutes which could have made the game a whole lot different. Need to tighten up at the back, period.

Anyone got a gif or something of traores goal? Missed the first 15 mins and didn't watch half time punditry. Or the highlights after the game.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but why didn't Swansea play in their normal white kit? Aren't away strips meant to be used to avoid colour clashes, not create them?

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but why didn't Swansea play in their normal white kit? Aren't away strips meant to be used to avoid colour clashes, not create them?
I thought this too mate.
That, and the angle of the sun and shadows created, couldn't have made it easy in the first half.

The problem is if we start like that against the likes of Arsenal we will be murdered. Swansea should've scored in the first few minutes which could have made the game a whole lot different. Need to tighten up at the back, period.

We won't start like that against arsenal tho that's the thing....

The first 10-15 mins of the game was nearly like Wigan all over again. We STILL can't handle expectancy at home. On a plus point we did improve after HT.

Arsenal we go as slight under-dogs so we will perform and play without that nervous style that happens at home against teams we should beat.

We were slack and slow again against a very average Swansea.
I don,t know why we pass the ball back to the keeper as much as we do.
But on reflection glad we are through.

Went the game yesterday, thought I'd do a few player summaries..

• Robles - No fault for the goal, but the defence seem a lot nervy when playing in front of him. Kicking was shocking.
  • Coleman - Didn't see a lot of the ball in the first half. Played better after the break, but not his best game.
  • Baines - Linked up well with Pienaar in the first half. Superbly taken penalty.
  • Jagielka - Poorest I've seen Jags in a while. Took risks with his passing, lot of hoofball.
  • Distin - Possibly starting to show his age, took far too many risks at the back. Got an assist for the goal.
  • Mirallas - Couple of good runs and looked a threat, needs more end product.
  • McCarthy - Steady game in the middle, funny when he was having a go at the ref for getting in the way.
  • Barry - Some passing good, some bad. Hope he stays with us next season.
  • Pienaar - Unlucky with a chance that hit the bar in the first half, showed some good touches throughout.
  • Barkley - Troubled the keeper a couple of times, still needs to make up his mind whether to pass or shoot.
  • Traore - Glad he got his 1st goal, tired very quickly. Ball wasn't sticking to him, hopefully his touch will improve.
Subs:
  • Naismith - Changed the game, took advantage of the poor backpass and won the pen. Well in.
  • Osman - Gave away some silly fouls when he came on, didn't do much else.
  • Deulofeu - Didn't see enough of the ball to make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.