Everton vs. Man Utd Match Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Say NO to Ginger Managers
Before we get into discussing the game itself, I’d like to honour the great man who died today, a legend in every sense of the word. Howard Kendall if anybody is Everton.
Not only a great as a player, but also as our most successful manager, every Evertonian mourns today. We have lost one of our best.
Howard Kendall left an indelible mark on our hearts and in our history.
Rest in Peace.

Poor. All around poor is how you’d describe that, perhaps with choicer words than those. Complete and utter dog poo.
The team selection had some positive news, Coleman and Stones returning from injury, while Martinez opted for graft over flair in the wide positions.
After a minute’s applause to honour Howard Kendall, the game kicked off with a bouncing Goodison reverberating to the sound of Howard Kendall’s Blue and White Army.
Lukaku looked well up for it, and both teams moved the ball around without really making any huge number of inroads. Lack of composure and sloppy passing very much the story of the entirety of the first half.
United’s first goal came with a shade of controversy, Rooney fouling Naismith in the air as he tried and failed to clear our lines from a corner. The ball dropped to an unmarked Schneiderlin who put it in the back of the net.

4 minutes later we again come up desperately short at the back.
Coleman gambles and tries to come to the ball and cut a pass to Martial out, instead scathing him down and leaving us completely open.
Rojo went forward, whipped a lovely ball onto Herrera’s head which he calmly nodded into the corner. 2-0 down now, with the two chances clinically taken.
Our defence was holding an open home evening, and we were lucky to not go 3-0 down before halftime with Rooney cutting back for Martial only for his shot to be blocked on the line with Howard beaten.
Ross fashioned a shot from a very tight angle that was beaten away by De Gea, but that was it for the first half.
Not many positives to take away, a particular lowlight being the performance of Naismith who showed off all of his limitations in an absolutely awful 45 minutes where he was unable to do even the basics.

Halftime a change was made, with Naismith deservedly hooked and Kone coming on as a replacement.
This seemingly made all the difference, as we were almost immediately brighter, with Everton all of a sudden playing decent footy.
Kone was played in only to completely scuff the shot, but the ball dropped to Coleman who popped a ball over to the back post with a waiting Ross.
Ross was beaten to the ball, waiting for it while if he’d attacked it he’d have been odds on to score.

Again we worked some space well, Lennon getting behind and cutting it back for Rom who fired hard and low, only for De Gea to stop with his legs in a top save. That perhaps was the flashpoint, as if we’d scored we would have been at 2-1 in the ascendancy with much of the second half still to play.

Another defensive lapse, this time from Jagielka as he passes to no-one and we are sliced and diced on the counter, Rooney slotting home with Howard diving out of the way. 3-0 and no way back into it.
Tim did however make a good one on one save from Rooney as we tried to push forward and get one back.
That was how it finished on a day where the result didn't matter as much.

All told a torrid result and day, our defensive lapses belying our previous solidity at the back.
Particularly in midfield we were out classed, as we were always second to the ball and lacked movement off it to really move United about and create spaces.
Hopefully we can turn it around and get all three vs. Arsenal.

MOTM: Romelu Lukaku
One of the players that showed up today.
Worked hard and fought for the ball despite being isolated due to a lack of support from the rest of the team. Unlucky not to score.

Howard: 5
Could have maybe done better for the goals. Good save vs Rooney
Coleman: 4
Looked rusty. Made a gamble he didn’t need to and was punished accordingly.
Stones: 6
Did ok for his first game back from injury. Not his normal imperious self.
Jagielka: 4
Otherwise played ok but made that glaring error for their third.
Galloway: 6
Did alright
Barry:5
Looked off the pace, lost the midfield battle.
McCarthy: 5
Didn’t have enough bite today, lost most of the second balls.
Barkley 6. Whipped in some good free kicks.
Should have put away his chance at the back post.
Lennon: 6
Worked hard. Created a good chance for Lukaku.
Naismith: 1
Couldn’t do the footballing basics. Deservedly subbed at half time.
Lukaku: 7
Worked hard, used his body better to try win and hold the ball. Unlucky not to score.

Kone: 5
Should have at least got his shot on target.

Deulofeu: N/A

Nice review mate. Today's game was just another reminder that 'Everton, aren't we?'
I predict somewhere about 7th place for us this season...same as it ever was

This side to side bs needs to stop. I understand building from the back but passing sideways only lets the opposition maintain their shape. We still haven't learned to break down teams and are crap going forward.

Not too surprising this performance really. We're still a young side and there'll be a few more horror shows along the way. United have always been a team that can throw money at any problem and bound to be ruthless at times.
Too many players back from injury and international duty. Then there will have been a call to win this for Howard to a group of players who will have understood that but not felt it deep down. It can work but can also freeze players, especially tired ones.
It may have been worth giving Jags a rest and maybe waiting to bring Coleman back, but alternatives would have led to a lot of stick if they'd gone wrong. Kone should be starting with Rom in my opinion but that wouldn't have solved much yesterday.
Howard Kendall's young side had some rough times and got terrible stick before it all turned round. Best tribute to him would be to remember that and remember, like then, all we are up against. Thanks for the memories Howard, great and bad.

Massively dissapointing today guys, we just werent in for it today. You cannot win if your team dont turn up. Worst thing for me is we were at home.

We need to do something more positive next week...

I think too many players were affected by the emotions of yesterday. The crowd were understandably flat, too many players didn't appear to have their minds fully on the game. I know there was only one lifetime Evertonian on the pitch (in a blue shirt anyway), but the whole club was affected by the death of Howard, and I think it showed on the pitch. We would have struggled against anyone (maybe not Newcastle), I thought United were an average side who got lucky in playing us at the right time. I know I couldn't wait for the game to end.

...2 disappointing results in a row, need to hang in there.

Yes, but could you think of a harder place than the Emirates to go to when you're trying to get out of the place we've been in
for the last two matches? I honestly expected to win them and a point is really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.