Match Thread Everton vs Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keane has been our best central defender this season. Hate the way people leave him out because it’s cool and they don’t like him. If Godfrey had the same stats Keane had this season we’d all be praising him to the moon and calling him the next Labone.

We have conceded 7th highest amount of goals this season in the league. We are on a par with footballing giants like Burnley and Wolves. Fulham and Brighton have conceded less than us and look where they are! The only teams to concede more than us is West Brom, Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheff Utd.

From that end I`d bin all defenders except Digne and Godfrey and recruit pace to play a higher line. Playing Keane you can only play 1 way, camped on your own 18 yard box.

We have conceded 7th highest amount of goals this season in the league. We are on a par with footballing giants like Burnley and Wolves. Fulham and Brighton have conceded less than us and look where they are! The only teams to concede more than us is West Brom, Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Newcastle and Sheff Utd.

From that end I`d bin all defenders except Digne and Godfrey and recruit pace to play a higher line. Playing Keane you can only play 1 way, camped on your own 18 yard box.

Yet without Michael Keane we’d have conceded many, many more. The problems we have are much bigger than just camping deep. Having Allan missing for 3 months plus and having to use Gomes in midfield offering little protection hasnt helped at all. Include us having to use centre half’s as fullbacks. You can’t honestly look at the team and pinpoint any problems on Michael Keane this season.

Someone had a few bevvies last night!

Last season we had a crash in results, just 3 wins in our last 12 (13 points), similar will almost certainly see us miss out on any European football whatsoever, which in my opinion would be a massive set back in this "project" yet again.

What is our style of play? What is our default formation? I could have told you what Burnleys will be 6 months ago, every player in that system knows 100% what they are doing and what their role is. Man City, Man Utd, Leicester City, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool and Villa you just know what formation they are more or less going to play yet we change ours every game. Yes the players are not very good but in football you need some consistency and we just don`t have that at all.

I was also shocked to learn that CA admires Sean Dyche and how he plays. Are we going to be Burnley with better players? One thing is for sure alot of the football we have seen this season is the worst we have seen and more akin to Sam Allardyce as a few have mentioned.

2019/20 (Last 12)

Arsenal (A) L 3-2
Manchester Utd (H) D 1-1
Chelsea (A) L 4-0
Liverpool (H) D 0-0
Norwich (A) W1-0
Leicester (H) W2-1
Tottenham (A) L 1-0
Southampton (H) D1-1
Wolves (A) L 3-0
Villa (H) D 1-1
Sheff Utd (A) W 1-0
Bournemouth (H) L 3-1

I believe CL is now gone, when those teams slip up we need to take advantage and not slip up, Chelsea wont drop many points but they dropped 2 yesterday and still managed to pull another point away from us, now 5 points. The 4 teams that I believe are in the Europa hunt are Everton, West Ham, Tottenham and Liverpool, we have to play all of them except the RS. I wouldnt back us to finish above any of them, more dropped points to a team in the bottom half who had lost 12 and drawn 9 of their 27 games.... Dont forget Villa could muscle in 5 points back on us with a game in hand AND we have to play them twice, they have the second best defensive record in the league, they arent the same team without Grealish but no doubt he will be back by time our games come around....

From being in a position where we could have done something I think ultimately we will fail to get Europe, the same as it always has been and probably always will be. I`m sure it is easier for people who have seen the good times to say we can have this again but for those of us that have only seen relegation battles and failure (I`m 40!) we dont think this club can be any different. Dont forget the best times we have seen were under David Moyes ad Martinez 1st season! Every season is the same no matter what manager you put in charge.

Lets see what the future holds, one thing is for sure that when the crowds get back in the stadium these players are going to have one hell of a wake up call......

From having some optimism last week thinking we could get CL to lose to a Burnley team that came to Goodison and matched us in terms of total shots and even out doing us with shots on target and showing a bit of flair. These defeats really do have a massive impact on my outlook becuase on that evidence we wont win another game, obv I know that isnt the case but where we struggle against these teams I expect our season to be over when City dump us out of the cup then Palace and Brighton have done a job on us......

We just need to accept we will never amount to anything, back to the same old same old.
Brilliant observation mate , so painful to read but you are absolutely right ;) and this is a worry/ scary part, we had played almost the same team as we had last year with exception of one , some times two and maybe 5 games with our three new players (Doc/Allan/ James ), I don’t see any difference in our style , don’t even now what we are trying to play sometimes , we are the most confident when we defend and when we are getting into the fast transition, must say that two lads at the front Richi abe Dom are amazing this season and definitely improved but I cant say for the rest of the squad , I still think that was a mistake to send Gordon on loan as Iwoby is the biggest disappointment for me and Gordon could much better ,at least he was a full of confidence before that comment that came out from Carlo that he approached him about his playtime, since that moment he was not the same player especially after he ended on bench without any minute and then he got some time to prove himself and quickly sent to Preston ,brilliant play by Carlo , I guess Iwoby is next ( hope so )
We decide to stick with same team two years in the row , I am hoping that Carlo has his reasons for that but so far this team is letting him down for the second time and when I look into that 13 games that you posted makes me even more worry as obviously this squad can’t play under the pressure, the same situation was last season after the COVID break , we had a great opportunity to fight for that last spot for EL and he failed so bad , I am afraid that this will happen again this season and last game was just a begging of that road to hell

Just read that Pope had two saves to make after we pulled one back.
We clearly do not create enough, still too slow, play too many safe balls backwards.
I am bemused by the obvious failure of trying to play down the left tactic and being boxed in down the line but we just carried on with it.

How can you include siggy in this. I would be made up if he signed a new contract.
Sorry but one decent corner or free kick or cross won’t disguise the many many times he doesn’t look bothered, doesn’t run and just looks lazy. I want him gone to long here now and not achieved nowhere near enough.

What can one say? A godawful display. Too many players are just not good enough we all know who they are.

Yet Carlo keeps playing them, why can't he give a young player a chance now and then?

Hindsight says you were wrong to expect that. Oh well...

Next season I'll still be supporting this club but I fear it will be better for my mental health if I just accept that we are mid table mediocrity and will remain so despite the best intentions of Ancelotti.
You won't though.
You will moan and whinge every week like you always do.

Digne is just as slow as the others excluding Godfrey. Great going forward but he is equally awful at defending

Brands should be sacked just for sanctioning the Iwobi deal let alone spending £34m on him. Negligence of the highest order......

His performance in that role has been abolutely dreadful.......

Olson, Holgate, Keane, Mina, Coleman, Delph, Gomes, Gbamin (Be realistic he isnt gonna play again!), Davies, Besic, Iwobi and Bernard all need moving on ASAP. Just look at the wages in that lot! Must be £400k to £500k a week on players who just arent good enough. The only players I`d keep are :-

Pickford
Digne
Godfrey
Allan
Sigurdsson
Doucoure
Richarlison
DCL
Rodriguez

Just 9 players with the required ability to compete at the right end of the PL, there in lies our problem that even with our strongest XI playing we are carrying 2...
Get rid of Keane Mina and Davies? 3 of our best players this season. Get a grip!

Last season we had a crash in results, just 3 wins in our last 12 (13 points), similar will almost certainly see us miss out on any European football whatsoever, which in my opinion would be a massive set back in this "project" yet again.

What is our style of play? What is our default formation? I could have told you what Burnleys will be 6 months ago, every player in that system knows 100% what they are doing and what their role is. Man City, Man Utd, Leicester City, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool and Villa you just know what formation they are more or less going to play yet we change ours every game. Yes the players are not very good but in football you need some consistency and we just don`t have that at all.

I was also shocked to learn that CA admires Sean Dyche and how he plays. Are we going to be Burnley with better players? One thing is for sure alot of the football we have seen this season is the worst we have seen and more akin to Sam Allardyce as a few have mentioned.

2019/20 (Last 12)

Arsenal (A) L 3-2
Manchester Utd (H) D 1-1
Chelsea (A) L 4-0
Liverpool (H) D 0-0
Norwich (A) W1-0
Leicester (H) W2-1
Tottenham (A) L 1-0
Southampton (H) D1-1
Wolves (A) L 3-0
Villa (H) D 1-1
Sheff Utd (A) W 1-0
Bournemouth (H) L 3-1

I believe CL is now gone, when those teams slip up we need to take advantage and not slip up, Chelsea wont drop many points but they dropped 2 yesterday and still managed to pull another point away from us, now 5 points. The 4 teams that I believe are in the Europa hunt are Everton, West Ham, Tottenham and Liverpool, we have to play all of them except the RS. I wouldnt back us to finish above any of them, more dropped points to a team in the bottom half who had lost 12 and drawn 9 of their 27 games.... Dont forget Villa could muscle in 5 points back on us with a game in hand AND we have to play them twice, they have the second best defensive record in the league, they arent the same team without Grealish but no doubt he will be back by time our games come around....

From being in a position where we could have done something I think ultimately we will fail to get Europe, the same as it always has been and probably always will be. I`m sure it is easier for people who have seen the good times to say we can have this again but for those of us that have only seen relegation battles and failure (I`m 40!) we dont think this club can be any different. Dont forget the best times we have seen were under David Moyes ad Martinez 1st season! Every season is the same no matter what manager you put in charge.

Lets see what the future holds, one thing is for sure that when the crowds get back in the stadium these players are going to have one hell of a wake up call......

From having some optimism last week thinking we could get CL to lose to a Burnley team that came to Goodison and matched us in terms of total shots and even out doing us with shots on target and showing a bit of flair. These defeats really do have a massive impact on my outlook becuase on that evidence we wont win another game, obv I know that isnt the case but where we struggle against these teams I expect our season to be over when City dump us out of the cup then Palace and Brighton have done a job on us......

We just need to accept we will never amount to anything, back to the same old same old.

Top post,

Yes I xa s

I prefer my own eyes and boy DCL and Kane are night and day.
No one with any football knowledge could think otherwise.
Kane has all the footballing ability in the world and can play either 9 or 10.
DCL god bless him has ....athleticism.

Thats fair enough, and there's little doubt to me, as an allround footballer, even at the age he's now at and that he's not at his absolute peak Kane is a better player. I think Calvert Lewin is a better goalscorer outside of penalties.

In all fairness, Calvert Lewin not being quite as good as Kane isn't our biggest problem in my view.

I honestly think this is the most outrageous opinion I’ve ever heard about football. Open play isn’t heading in a free kick or corner btw.
Kane scores all kinds of goals, inside and outside the box, one on one’s with the keeper.. DCL scores headers inside the six yard box.

One is world class, the other is a work in progress.

Thats true, and just for clarity I meant none penalty goals.

Dominic Calvert Lewin has more of them in domestic comps (so like for like) than Kane. It's not really an opinion, it's just noting the facts.

Both do a lot of things the other doesn't, but Kane is the better footballer and is now a very good number 9 and 10.

2019/20 (Last 12)

Arsenal (A) L 3-2
Manchester Utd (H) D 1-1
Chelsea (A) L 4-0
Liverpool (H) D 0-0
Norwich (A) W1-0
Leicester (H) W2-1
Tottenham (A) L 1-0
Southampton (H) D1-1
Wolves (A) L 3-0
Villa (H) D 1-1
Sheff Utd (A) W 1-0
Bournemouth (H) L 3-1

It's all fair mate, and nobody should have to apologise for getting angry after another poor defeat, but we were massively overperforming to even be in with a shout of CL.

The results have dropped off a bit, when we have had major injuries, worse than Liverpool and worse than most of the league. It's not a massive surprise to me.

Long term, we need to resolve how we will improve against poor teams at Goodison. Fans will give some help, but unlike Liverpool fans I don't think we should hold this myth that fans returning is going to make a key difference.

Thats fair enough, and there's little doubt to me, as an allround footballer, even at the age he's now at and that he's not at his absolute peak Kane is a better player. I think Calvert Lewin is a better goalscorer outside of penalties.

In all fairness, Calvert Lewin not being quite as good as Kane isn't our biggest problem in my view.
If you look at what Kane was like on his way up, playing for three or four lower league teams and the England U23’s then you would have seen a clumsy, awkward player with poor ball control, look at him now, a few years later, he is as good a footballer as he is a striker,DCL has improved every season he has played at Everton and I think he will continue to improve, I hope it is with Everton. A simple question, a player idolised by many Everton fans Richarlison, has he improved since he came to Everton? I can’t see it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.