Match Thread Everton vs Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another opportunity that knocked goes begging.

Sadly, I think the squad depth and home form could kill the euro dream for us this season. The right side is a real problem with iwobi and holgate so poor.

We were always going to struggle without Doucs, James and Mina, as were back to the gash that's stunk the place out for the last 2 seasons - sadly, more struggles to come.

At least we have the bast manager possible to find solutions.

UTFT.

When the Goodison faithful is really up for it Goodison can be like a 12th man. The pandemic has robbed us of that.
That's true. The flip side however is that our strong away form may not have occurred because they've also lost their 12th man.

For me, there's little to valid excuses for us losing at home against the likes of Burnley and Newcastle.

Watched MOTD, it was a perfect game to see and compare two players at the same position, Iwobi and McNeil, same position !,, , what a difference, shocking , I hope they cancel his return ticket from Nigeria :)

I missed the game yesterday due to work. Watching the MotD highlights (never a balanced source of information, I know) it seemed that:

a) we lost the midfield battle; and
b) Pickford was back to his worst, rooted to the spot and being beaten by long-range efforts that most prem keepers would handle without any fuss.

From the perspective of watching the entire match, would anyone please be kind enough to confirm or refute these two points?

I would say hes a better open play goalscorer than Kane as to where both players are now. I'd imagine evidence will back me up on that.
I honestly think this is the most outrageous opinion I’ve ever heard about football. Open play isn’t heading in a free kick or corner btw.
Kane scores all kinds of goals, inside and outside the box, one on one’s with the keeper.. DCL scores headers inside the six yard box.

One is world class, the other is a work in progress.

I missed the game yesterday due to work. Watching the MotD highlights (never a balanced source of information, I know) it seemed that:

b) Pickford was back to his worst, rooted to the spot and being beaten by long-range efforts that most prem keepers would handle without any fuss.

From the perspective of watching the entire match, would anyone please be kind enough to confirm or refute these two points?
I’m not sure if you are trying to say that Pickford should have saved McNeils goal?

Even when we were on our early season run, many of us acknowledged that we didn’t have much strength beyond our first XI. That was never going to be addressed until next summer because Jan transfers are a massive waste of time and money for the most part.

Even if we assume our best XI stays our best XI there is plenty of room for reinforcement. A couple of high energy CMs to make sure Gomes never gets to wear the blue again, proper striker cover for a clearly knackered DCL and a RB (very possibly 2) are needed. GK is less of a worry than it was but at a minimum we need to bring in Olsen perm or an equivalent.

I agree with what Mourinho said back in the day, that you need two good players for every position. The stark reality is we’re probably a minimum of 3 transfer Windows from getting anywhere near that reality.

a) is irrefutable and b) is complete and utter nonsense. The first was bent in, with pace around a CB that should have been closing the ball down and the second wouldn’t have been stopped by two Manuel Neuers sellotaped together.

How does Michael Keane get so many votes for MOTM , did you watch the first goal and his general play, watch him at corners, defending, marking nobody, week after week, still getting bullied and out jumped in heading duals, no aggression in his tackles, hands out in front of, like he’s begging, then hop, skip, he hasn’t got the energy to do the jump, before he makes a five yard pass to a player with two or three men marking him. MOTM ?

Can only be luck that the game isn't over already.

An early equaliser in the 2nd half and Burley will surely be feeling like the gods have conspired against them.

Still hope but we cant play with any intensity.
"
I’m not sure if you are trying to say that Pickford should have saved McNeils goal?
For me Pickford had no chance with either goal, the commentators on BBCI must hate him if that's true.

No, I'm saying that the MOTD highlights seemed to infer that - they only showed the goal from one angle and that angle made it look as if Pickford was poorly positioned and therefore his stature did not allow him to make up for the poor positioning. I'm asking people who watched the game (I was unable to) to offer their opinion on whether they saw other angles during the game that would say otherwise.

Someone had a few bevvies last night!

Last season we had a crash in results, just 3 wins in our last 12 (13 points), similar will almost certainly see us miss out on any European football whatsoever, which in my opinion would be a massive set back in this "project" yet again.

What is our style of play? What is our default formation? I could have told you what Burnleys will be 6 months ago, every player in that system knows 100% what they are doing and what their role is. Man City, Man Utd, Leicester City, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool and Villa you just know what formation they are more or less going to play yet we change ours every game. Yes the players are not very good but in football you need some consistency and we just don`t have that at all.

I was also shocked to learn that CA admires Sean Dyche and how he plays. Are we going to be Burnley with better players? One thing is for sure alot of the football we have seen this season is the worst we have seen and more akin to Sam Allardyce as a few have mentioned.

2019/20 (Last 12)

Arsenal (A) L 3-2
Manchester Utd (H) D 1-1
Chelsea (A) L 4-0
Liverpool (H) D 0-0
Norwich (A) W1-0
Leicester (H) W2-1
Tottenham (A) L 1-0
Southampton (H) D1-1
Wolves (A) L 3-0
Villa (H) D 1-1
Sheff Utd (A) W 1-0
Bournemouth (H) L 3-1

I believe CL is now gone, when those teams slip up we need to take advantage and not slip up, Chelsea wont drop many points but they dropped 2 yesterday and still managed to pull another point away from us, now 5 points. The 4 teams that I believe are in the Europa hunt are Everton, West Ham, Tottenham and Liverpool, we have to play all of them except the RS. I wouldnt back us to finish above any of them, more dropped points to a team in the bottom half who had lost 12 and drawn 9 of their 27 games.... Dont forget Villa could muscle in 5 points back on us with a game in hand AND we have to play them twice, they have the second best defensive record in the league, they arent the same team without Grealish but no doubt he will be back by time our games come around....

From being in a position where we could have done something I think ultimately we will fail to get Europe, the same as it always has been and probably always will be. I`m sure it is easier for people who have seen the good times to say we can have this again but for those of us that have only seen relegation battles and failure (I`m 40!) we dont think this club can be any different. Dont forget the best times we have seen were under David Moyes ad Martinez 1st season! Every season is the same no matter what manager you put in charge.

Lets see what the future holds, one thing is for sure that when the crowds get back in the stadium these players are going to have one hell of a wake up call......

From having some optimism last week thinking we could get CL to lose to a Burnley team that came to Goodison and matched us in terms of total shots and even out doing us with shots on target and showing a bit of flair. These defeats really do have a massive impact on my outlook becuase on that evidence we wont win another game, obv I know that isnt the case but where we struggle against these teams I expect our season to be over when City dump us out of the cup then Palace and Brighton have done a job on us......

We just need to accept we will never amount to anything, back to the same old same old.

No, I'm saying that the MOTD highlights seemed to infer that - they only showed the goal from one angle and that angle made it look as if Pickford was poorly positioned and therefore his stature did not allow him to make up for the poor positioning. I'm asking people who watched the game (I was unable to) to offer their opinion on whether they saw other angles during the game that would say otherwise.
Fair enough! Yeah he had no chance with either IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.