Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but you can have control while also playing to your strengths.
Feel this is the flaw with a diamond shape - it restricts the movement of the midfielders and relies on the full-backs to get the width. We haven’t really got that so patient build up only goes so far
We’re winning and we’ve entirely contained them?

I’m just not a fan of this system. Don’t think anybody has played badly, but it’s so sluggish unless both full-backs are bombing on.

Genuinely, a diamond can work in FIFA, and probably Das SPL. That’s about it
Shows you don't play Fifa mate, no one uses a diamond

Thought we were in control until the disallowed goal. Since then we’ve let them create a few openings and been running back towards our own goal. That said, we’ve still created the best chances and they’ve still not had a shot on target. Do worry that will change if we carry on the way we have, after the VAR decision

I think the biggest problem is none of our centre mids are making themselves available for the pass from Keane or Godfrey. Seem happy to point towards Digne or Holgate instead. And then we have 2 options, hit a speculative channel pass or pass back to Keane and Godfrey.

Allan is usually quite good at dropping in and getting on the ball, but maybe he is growing back into the role a bit, rusty if you like, and fitness.

In general our movement infront of the CBs is poor tonight though.

Hopefully we perk up a bit second half and kill the game

Again happy to settle for 1-0? Those last 20 minutes or so ... not good enough by far. why are we letting them run at us? Why when we do have the ball is there no intent? E.g. Richy gets the ball on the break with 2 players near him.. we stop and pass back to Digne.. who stops and passes to Keane.. and so it goes on... Yes I'm back to moaning about our intent.. Its almost total arrogance.. that we have scored and now we just play out the game like we're in injury time.. Gomes disappeared those last 20.. Did Siggy see the ball apart from the free kick? Sorry if I seem harsh but the longer we let it drift the better the chance they will score

Can we please just score one early in the 2nd so we can all relax a bit?

No, of course not, we’ll come out half asleep and probably go 1-1 within 5 or so minutes.

We’re doing it purposefully. A frantic game suits them more than us, so we’re slowing it down when we’re in possession.
Yes they play a game where they press and win the ball in the middle and quickly attack, it’s called gegenpress, they will have no idea what to do when it comes to braking you down and keeping possession, I’m very confident we’ll win this.

Wanna see a big effort straight from the 2nd half whistle and try and get that 2nd goal. Then they can feel free to shut up shop if they like. Not comfortable just 1 goal in front. Kill it off fast please blues and lets get the points in the bag.

We could have been 2 up yet Southampton are by far the better team. Our sideways and backwards is awful to watch. They pass better and play as a team whereas we boot the ball up the pitch. Yet it is 1-0, so things can get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.