Match Thread Everton v Manchester United - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We dont half get some wonder goals v us. Shearer volley, Wright with his flick over our players before the lob many yeras ago. and that overhead yesterday to name a few goals

My impression. Good passion from the crowd and attitude from the team. The worldie from the ugly Manc teenager was a punch to the gut, and we did well to keep our heads up and rally. The penalty was him dragging his left leg and looking for contact. Booking him for diving into Young was the right decision but given the politics surrounding the game, I wasn’t expecting anything from the ref tbh. Their 3rd goal was class. We had our chances. Dom looked sharp and Doucs and Gana should have buried their chances. McNeil is pretty solid defensively but offers nothing offensively, always plays the safe pass back. Annoying to watch a half break turn into nothing.

Onwards and upwards

Against the better teams yes, but against lower teams in the league, I think we are good enough to push them back and dominate the possession and territory.
If McNeil was in decent form I’d have him in for Myko, but at this moment Myko is more of a threat going forward, was unlucky not to get another goal today.
I’d stick with DCL at the moment, he’s not scored for a couple of games but he is a good player and I’d hope he’ll get on the scoresheet again soon and/or provide assists. If his form doesn’t pick up, then sure, give Beto a chance.
I do think playing in this formation would suit Harrison and Danjuma better, they don’t seem to me to be orthodox wingers, they seem happier cutting inside and trying 1-2’s on the edge of the box rather than hitting the bye line. And this formation would allow for that, they would be more central and closer to DCL, to play off, and they would be starting higher up the pitch. The only question is if Danjuma has the work rate to press and drop back and defend when needed. If he can’t, then play Doucoure. This formation also allows more players to press the opposition backline without leaving a big hole in midfield. It allows Patterson and Myko (McNeil) to overlap and provide width.
Well, Im not suggesting we drop DCL. I believe we should be handing him some assistance. Also take him off as soon as we can and preserve him. And I don't see Harrison playing the kind of attacking role you see him in. He just needs a solid RB behind him, hopefully that happens with Coleman's return.

Whilst the general play isn't exactly inspiring we do create a fair number of chances.

However, we've got to start converting a much higher percentage of all of these chances we keep on creating otherwise we really will be in a relegation scrap come January.

We could easily have had 2 or even 3 today so to come away with zero goals tells its own story of where are problems are.
It's a problem made worse by having to sell the two players who could help solve that problem.
And they try to tell everybody that our financial situation gave us some advantages.😂

My impression. Good passion from the crowd and attitude from the team. The worldie from the ugly Manc teenager was a punch to the gut, and we did well to keep our heads up and rally. The penalty was him dragging his left leg and looking for contact. Booking him for diving into Young was the right decision but given the politics surrounding the game, I wasn’t expecting anything from the ref tbh. Their 3rd goal was class. We had our chances. Dom looked sharp and Doucs and Gana should have buried their chances. McNeil is pretty solid defensively but offers nothing offensively, always plays the safe pass back. Annoying to watch a half break turn into nothing.

Onwards and upwards
Your impression is very biased. We were poor and they were slightly better. The penalty was soft but a definite penalty...if that had happened in our favour and we had not got the penalty we would have been merrily waving our pink pamphlets.

The only way the Mancs were going to win that yesterday was through an early goal to silence the crowd. Trust them to score a goal of the season fluke 3 minutes in. Would happen to Everton wouldn't it.

On another day that shanks into the Mersey and we go in at HT 1-0 up. Totally different story.

Don't know what Dyche said at HT but second half thought they bossed it and deserved to win. Things of note: I) Young is too much of a liability in the big games, ill disciplined and gets targeted once he's in the book; II) We really miss Onana when he's not there. Equally we are a lot worse with Gueye in the side. Should look at recruiting to midfield if we are to keep control of games when Amadou is unavailable; and III) What the hell has happened to Beto?

Do they practice finishing in training or what
Always wondered about headers here - as in are the players not practicing headers because of repetitive micro concussion, or whatever you wanna call it.
I'm surprised we have seen some sort of new tech headgear come into it.
Anyways DCL's sharpness, timing wasn't there. He scores one of those headers and reckon Manu crumble under the weight of Goodison.
Our press was garbage today - piecemeal, disjointed or non-existent, but we still made decent chances and should have scored a few, but I still feel we paid a bang average poor united side way too much respect.

The worldy probably knocked the stuffing out of the player to a degree, but our press and desire wasn’t right for much of the game.
Not sure, they broke down a lot of play and besides the goals Manu rarely threatened.
A worldy, Keanesque stupidity, and getting opened up while chasing the game with 20mins to go and 2nil down. Cursed luck.

For me it was:
1. Players have to learn to handle and thrive on that sort of atmosphere - find the wind at their backs while keeping it sharp.
2. Harrison and McNeil offered nothing going forward.
3. When in attacking midfield play (usually on the counter than in build up play) when the ball is in good positions (time to pick the movement or provide an assist or an AM goal) invariably it goes to Idrissa and Doucs - the quality is not just there.
The knock on effect of this is the more this happens the more it conditions the responses of the players to lower quality play. They stop making 'better' mvts.
Hopefully a fully fit and focused Onana comes back in and Garner is found in those positions more often. Whatever the case the team badly needs a quality AM who also has the run in his legs that Dyche needs.
4. DCL had to score one of those two chances.

I don't like slating players or giving them a hard time.
Ashley Young has been a great professional over the years but the longer we persevere with him, the more I fear for our future. Not just the penalty yesterday but his all round game is not strong enough.
Hopefully Coleman or Patterson get the nod soon.

What does Young offer, clearly it’s not experience as he is more reckless than anyone else in defence, not defensive skills because he just fouls and gives things away, nothing in attack compared to Coleman or Patterson even.

Poor finishing but Onana did some great saves. As to their goal that first he was allowed to much space, poor defending. IMO the penalty decision was incorrect and their final goal where was our defence.

Too many of our players seemed to be not in tune.

Well, Im not suggesting we drop DCL. I believe we should be handing him some assistance. Also take him off as soon as we can and preserve him. And I don't see Harrison playing the kind of attacking role you see him in. He just needs a solid RB behind him, hopefully that happens with Coleman's return.
I agree once Beto is fit he should be replacing DCL after 70-75 minutes.
It may not work, but I think that Harrison is too often picking up the ball when he is too deep and the opposition defence is nearly always set in their shape. And he seems to prefer cutting inside rather than going to the bye line. I’d hope playing him higher up the pitch, a little more centrally would allow him to get the ball in more dangerous areas / situations, he’d be closer to DCL and also Danjuma (Doucoure) giving more options / support. With still the option of Patterson out wide. It may not work but I think it’s worth a try in certain situations, against certain teams at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.