Match Thread Everton v Luton Town - Waffle, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can only go by the match commentary on the Everton site, but it sounds like we got everything we deserved with an abysmal performance. I've gone for Virginia as my MoM. At least we don't have to go all the way to Luton to get kicked out of the competition now, every cloud etc.

On a positive note Warrington Town were away to Blyth Spartan in the National League North and won 2-1. Come on the Yellows :dance:

I cannot vote for any of these bums as MOM. We need a No MOTM option and have done for 3 years.
This was another abject rinse and repeat performance.
It's not about effort either. They tried but they are just not good enough. Virginia did ok - but like Pickford - does not dominate his 6 yard box as all good goalies do.
Doucoure does make a massive difference - as does Young. Both have enough guile to know how you win football matches against the likes of Luton. Without them Onana and Garner cannot control the midfield and have no options to pass to.
Some of these players are just shocking though and the decision making of Harrison and McNeil just baffling. 10 mins to go and they are launching balls into the box filled with Luton bodies. Dyche has to take a lot of the blame - though I appreciate his options are limited. Beto, Chermiti, Danjuma have never impressed me - bar the odd bit when Chermiti is in the u/21's. Patterson and Mykolenko were awful. Pinned back and roasted by Luton players. Tarkowski and Branthwaite were all over the place. DCL is so low on confidence though his chances are limited.
Can't see beyond this rubbish - but I'll be there on Tuesday at Fulham. Hoping for a miracle really.

It really makes no difference to our season that we go out of the cup today, does anyone think this group of players and this manager is going to win a trophy. Back to the grind, this will be a successful season if we are still in the Premier League when the new ground opens. That is all that counts, start again in the new ground, get rid of the dross in the Boardroom, the dross in the dugout and the dross on the field of play. This club is substandard from top to bottom, the only thing which brings credit to the club is the fan base even if they get frustrated from time to time.

We were terrible mate. Never looked like scoring. Trying to get in 5th round and looked clueless as we have for a while. Woeful performance. Luton deserved it
Never said they didn’t deserve it. Completely agree. I was just trying to point out that although a poor performance it’s not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Not long ago we did not even see players making effort.

Struggled to find a vote in me for that MOTM poll..

While Virginia may have had a few saves in him.. you wouldn't describe him as dominant or commanding for those corners. A bit flappy..

I don't know, can he be more proactive? Can he push the team further up the field not handing the advantage to the opposition?

He doesn't look capable of correcting this at the moment. He's not the solution long term that's for sure.

I get the squads both small and not packed with great quality but there's quality there, look who the players are linked with.

There's also no doubt the idiots above are a massive hindrance.

One things been lost in all this and the last few decades of melancholy.

We are supposed to be the school of science.

school of being schooled.

tbh mate it’s killing me and all of us were
so pissd of and deflated

but we can play football we’ve shown it

obvs we’re not right now and we need to start it.

the squad is taking its toll with injury’s players of form etc. dyche and some of his tactics and subs infuriate me and baffle me a lot!

but he’s the right man for us mate as of now we need the points back but we would be 12th etc and comfortable

we’re not so we gotta fight for them back

Dyche knows nothing else but the crap we get served to us every week. He can't do any different because he's limited.
All this low block crap is all him. Give up possession to everyone we play. There was a goal kick against villaa where every player was in our half and it was our goal kick
The players get into the final third and theres literally no structure no creativity no spark.
With other managers theres been a structure at the very least.

Harrison just runs it then loses it 90% of the time, dom looks lost, mcneil varys between good and one didimensionalbeto is a waste of time. The fullbacks are usually late on the overlap then either don't get used or don't get the ball in. It's boring and predictable.

And the subs 80 minutes every game. He's not proactive at all
His lack of variety in forward player selection is really stating to hurt us imo - the rest pick themselves at the min, though I thought hunt could have got a start or minutes today.

McNeil and Harrison have been gash for weeks and McNeil still looks injured - Danjuma and dobbin should have been rotated in.

The timing and limited number of the subs does my head in - edwards was brave and made all five subs just as we were getting on top a little, and it swung it back to them, but they were hungrier, meaner and wanted it more than our mob, and that cant ever be forgiven.

Without question the worst fans in the whole of Europe.
Fans of most clubs would have given up years ago

The biggest mistake from our fans was accepting this sort of level of performance, rather than challenging it way back years ago. Instead we just shrugged our shoulders and it became the norm. And now we are in a position where we will probably never compete at the top of football in this country ever again.