Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Hawthorn and "anyone but Everton" Hinchcliffe. The latter was scathing of anything Everton did, said Burnley should have had a penalty, yet in the same incident completely overlooked the Burnley players assaulting Pickford.

We really do not feature in Sky's plans at all and what we ever did to Hinchcliffe to make him such an anti-Blue I'd really like to know. Used to really rate him when he played for us, can't stand the bugger now.
Think the thing with Hinchcliffe is that he tries far too hard not to sound bias and it invariably makes him sound more critical of us.

Think the thing with Hinchcliffe is that he tries far too hard not to sound bias and it invariably makes him sound more critical of us.
He's an awful co commentator. Not just for us but every game he's on he's always critical. They should have done this and that he's always moaning. I loved him as a player, but now I have to switch him off, he's so annoying

Yeh cos that 3-4-3 worked a treat for the first hour last night didn't it mate.

How is rondon a square peg in a round hole if he's a striker playing as a striker ??
Maybe I should read what I'm replying to a bit better
I know that mate but after the gladiator talk I thought it was Taylor made for him. I personally wouldn't change the system because of one missing link. With how many injuries we get are we gonna keep tinkering? All players should be drilled in the system imo
You were talking about the system we finished with?
My mistake
But wait - you did say this...All players should be drilled in the system
which was my point - System to suit Players, not the other way around.
You can 'drill players in the system' all you like, you're not going to put another 5yds of pace into Keane for instance,
Nor turn Gomes into an energiser box to box bunny, nor wind the clock back on Coleman, get DCL blammo-ing them in like Townsend.
We seem to be arguing different aspects of the same opinion - the system we started with was poor, the one we ended up with was better.
Other than that - I'm done.

Simms should be ahead of him too, when he is back fit
No forget that, Simms might eventually prove to be a good striker, in a year or two, not ready yet, same as Dobbin, who might get on the bench a few times this season and even play a few minutes in some games. Rondon will give Everton strength now, along with a some goals and assists.

No forget that, Simms might eventually prove to be a good striker, in a year or two, not ready yet, same as Dobbin, who might get on the bench a few times this season and even play a few minutes in some games. Rondon will give Everton strength now, along with a some goals and assists.

I couldn’t disagree more - players of his age need to play competitive games, and if there is the chance to with him this season for us we should 100% do it. Whether or not he is ready is something we’ll only ever find out on the pitch.

Maybe I should read what I'm replying to a bit better

You were talking about the system we finished with?
My mistake
But wait - you did say this...All players should be drilled in the system
which was my point - System to suit Players, not the other way around.
You can 'drill players in the system' all you like, you're not going to put another 5yds of pace into Keane for instance,
Nor turn Gomes into an energiser box to box bunny, nor wind the clock back on Coleman, get DCL blammo-ing them in like Townsend.
We seem to be arguing different aspects of the same opinion - the system we started with was poor, the one we ended up with was better.
Other than that - I'm done.

Bit in bold baffled me last night. I have no issues with 352/532 with the right players, (coleman struggled for large partsof the first half positioning was al ove rthe place).

But when you have wide CB's, they need to have pace. Keane isn't quick but he's not slow either over 50 metres. He is remarkably slow on the turn/from a stnadard start, that's where he tends to lose his races. In a wide CB position, you need to have a quick off the mark player so they follow runners. Chris Wood last night, who Mina did a wonderful job on last night, did do well in turning our CB's round and creating problems. Mina pretty much stopped Barnes doing anything

It's odd, he is really nice (if very self-deprecating) about himself and his time at Everton on the Set Piece Menu podcast. Everton end up getting overrepresented in conversation on the pod due to him, and it's generally very good.
But as a commentator he seems to make an effort to show support to whoever Everton is playing, maybe to avoid any suggestion of him being partisan? It's odd.

I did say way back that Burnley were not a "clean" team, that tackle on Richie should have been at least a yellow if not a red for Tarkowski. He was never mind the ball going for the man, remember earlier in the game Richis was badly fouled from the rear. I think at times Burnley players try to take out the main striker of the opposing team.

It was good to see a difference in mentality, before Burnleys goals we looks preetty crap all game and last season going a goal down like that while playing that badly would have been the end.
So nice to see us dig in and produce the goods when needed.
Refreshing

MOTM to Townsend for that strike alone, let alone a fantastic cross for Keane ;)

Doucoure a close second, what a ball for Gray

All things considered, a great second half performance after an ugly first half.

Maybe now our players are fitter we can expect a few second half treats like that, opponents tiring after trying to break down our defence in the first.

Very pleased right now

Status
Not open for further replies.