Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue to the bone

Player Valuation: £70m
After the dirge that is international football the super toffees return to action although we have to wait until Monday night under the Goodison lights with a full house for the first time in ages against the yokels from Burnley.
Deadline day came and went with only one addition as Soloman Rondon joined as back up striker. Other links came and went and we look woefully short at full back and of course our right back got injured on International duty.
Hopefully Ben Godfrey is back for this one . James we have no idea what's happening really. Gbamim should also be in the match day squad .
Burnley will try do what they always do. Frustrate and get ahead and shut up shop.
Gray , richy and dcl have the potential though to open up the grocks. It is never an easy fixture though.
A full stadium rocking under the lights will inspire us to 3 points and a very positive start on the pitch anyway.
UTFT.

We're going to have more of the ball. There is no way to do anything else against Burnley. But I really think we need to try and keep the directness in our play. I highly doubt we're going to see 25 pass sequences end up in presentable chances. We're also showing some ability to win the ball back high up and make something of it. If you give it away in a good area that's just another opportunity to win it back in a bad one for your opponent and break. I don't want us to get sucked into the Martinez/Silva trap.

We're going to have more of the ball. There is no way to do anything else against Burnley. But I really think we need to try and keep the directness in our play. I highly doubt we're going to see 25 pass sequences end up in presentable chances. We're also showing some ability to win the ball back high up and make something of it. If you give it away in a good area that's just another opportunity to win it back in a bad one for your opponent and break. I don't want us to get sucked into the Martinez/Silva trap.
Let's be honest it's going to be two teams pumping balls into the box. It's going to be like a match from the eighties.

…if Coleman is unfit, logic suggests Holgate at RB and Mina brought in to counter Burnley’s aerial threat but this Manager is hard to read at this stage of the season.

it’ll become clearer which players don’t figure in his plans and there might be a surprise or two in that regard. I’ll still be on holiday in Cyprus, looking forward to finding a bar to watch the game, last one I watched from here was the opening day draw at Wolves. Burnley at home is the type of game we need to be winning, I just think/hope we are better than them.

Status
Not open for further replies.