Match Thread Everton v Brighton - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had 22 % possession when we beat them 5 - 1 last season.

Effectiveness is what makes football interesting. Not possession.
Agree it's irrelevant how well you play a lot of the time, our problem since Lukaku left, although since DCL has been back it'd got better is we play well with no finishing product. Take a look at when we went to City in Guardiolas first season, they had all the chances we had 1, scored a cane away with the draw. Cahill was great at getting us results with our back against it. They deserved a draw, better teams than us will struggle against Brighton. Their goal should of stood, we should had a penalty, it was a fair result. When we lost to Wolves, when we should of been 3 up, that's when you start to worry. When opp teams rely on a freak goal to get into games or penalties we are making progress.

I still find the formation weird. Doucs playing as like a false 9, but he’s not quick enough for an attacking midfielder, he’s not wise enough for the striker role. It’s a weird mystery that it actually works ok.

Personally I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He's quite correctly close to the near post and he's anticipating and positioning for the cutback from Mitoma. To tip that the angle it's coming at him with a split second massive change in direction would have been an extraordinary save. The path the ball takes is absolutely the worst it could for the position he is in.
It would have been a good save no doubt but it wasn't impossible and based on his form its one I'd hope he would save. He obviously has massive credit in the bank though. I don't think high shots around his head are his strength TBH. He's better at lower reactions save.

I still find the formation weird. Doucs playing as like a false 9, but he’s not quick enough for an attacking midfielder, he’s not wise enough for the striker role. It’s a weird mystery that it actually works ok.
He's not slow and he's a powerful (if ungainly) runner with the ball. I think we were excellent defensively but we were careless when we got the opportunity to counter attack. Harrison was very disappointing in possession and gave the ball away very cheaply on multiple occasions and Mykolenko, although very solid defensively, is a complete black hole in possession. Makes it very hard to build attacks if both flanks are giving the ball away. I think we win that game if Onana plays because he gets the ball back and gets us up the pitch better than any of our other players.

Gave it their best shot yesterday if we could only have nicked a second, gutted really. Looking around the lads looked knackered after only playing on Wednesday.

Yep, always felt a 2nd goal was needed. I thought the chance where Mcneil just slipped his shot past the post 2nd half was a big moment. I was surprised he didn't go far post as there was a lot of room to curl it that way. Wasn't an easy chance by any stretch but it was a chance in a game of very few chances

Should have 2 pens. Players looked knackered. Not sure Dyche has faith in the bench in close games especially with Onana missing

Ball retention was terrible but again players out on their feet after 3 games in a week so point gained after initial fume of 2 dropped.

Onto the wknd after weeks rest and hopefully Onana is fit

Went for Harrison MOM but only to reveal the voting as I didn't watch the game.

Watched the highlights, commentator seemed to think ref was having a bit of a stinker. This true?

Status
Not open for further replies.