Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Aston Villa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We've just got nothing in attacking areas, it's awful and will more than likely send us down. I thought Villa were poor and still managed to score twice and are well away from relegation

Watkins was fouled by Pickford in the first half and should have been a penalty.

The second incident between McGinn and Gueye looked more 50-50 and can be argued both ways.

I think the referee was another example of an official wanting to be noticed.

An old mate of mine (who is no longer with us) made what I thought was a great point. Before the PL era referees came onto the pitch unnoticed some minutes after the players. My mate said it was a huge mistake letting them lead the players out and take the match ball.

The game should be about players.

I vaguely remember Ian Wright telling a story about approaching a ref during a game, because he wasn't happy with some of his decisions, and saying something like:

"What are doing? This isn't about you. The fans haven't paid to see you..."

…I think the referee was another example of an official wanting to be noticed.

An old mate of mine (who is no longer with us) made what I thought was a great point. Before the PL era referees came onto the pitch unnoticed some minutes after the players. My mate said it was a huge mistake letting them lead the players out and take the match ball.

The game should be about players.
It's the 'Power' crave....

You certainly don't grow up as a kid dreaming of becoming a Ref, its like payback for always being last pick...

( Apologies to any Ref on here!!!

I agree he should have gone sooner. He was prioritising his preferred style of play, regardless of the fact that the players couldn't play that way.
His preferred style of play will be the end of his managerial career, let alone our premiership status.
( tho this did all start long before lamps )

McNeil is the only player who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. If he had Gordon's pace he'd be a superstar.
Iwobi has decent control but he overcomplicates moves and runs into blind alleys. He never puts his foot on the ball to look up and assess his next move. We've said before he's a cage player. Not suited to a full sized pitch as he is too hyper and plays at 100mph all the time.
All the rest are literally terrified of the ball and cannot wait to get rid of it. It's all too rushed. Confidence plays a big part. As things stand we have none and this compounds the nervousness which leads to mistakes and most attacks breaking down.
Dyche has to sort it quickly or we are toast. We have some decent pro's and some good athletes but there's no composure. I'd kill for a Bryan Robson bossing the middle and settling the team down. I have hopes that Garner and Onana can adapt to the position but time is against us.
Edit - a focal point / decent striker would help of couse. We need to persevere with Simms as Maupay can't play that role.

Poor performance, poor result. Today was not helped by one of the worst refereeing displays I’ve seen in a very long time either but we got what we deserved
on their heels against an attacker in motion. Basic schoolboy coaching Brainfart. Coady needs splinters in his arse for a few games
It has to be said, last week's hero was left stranded up near the half way line. The others had to get back and shuffle across, Coady had 2 running at him.
The big Midfielders Onana and Doucoure were taking turns having half an eye on getting into the box because we have no forward(s).
The Ref can have his usual very poor game, whatever - if we take our chances it won't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.