Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomes big problem is the players around him. Just look how much better Pogba is at Utd now he has Fernandes playing with him on the same wavelength. Gomes will be fine.. and let’s not forget his leg was actually snapped in half only 7/8 months ago!

I like Gomes but think he lacks pace for a 3. If we are going to play 4-4-2 for rest of the season I would put Kean up top with DCL and Richarlison and Gordon on the wings. I would switch them about to keep the opposition guessing.

We can't sell a whole midfield in one window sadly. Also I still have hope Gomes can return to something like his best he is clearly physically still struggling to get back and the partners he has don't help him. Alongside runners he can dictate games, if admittedly he doesn't do a lot else creatively..

Gomes can get in the bin. I dont care one iota about his injury, hes been putting in performances like this numerous times where he ables around shoves opposition players after theyve played the ball and passes backwards.

If Delph put in that showing last night or since lockdown we would all be enraged.

id try and sell or swap him with a valencia player where he may do well.

...I’d be tempted to play Kean up top on Thursday and play Richarlison out wide.

Iwobi is understandably being criticised, but he would give us a bit of energy if he plays centrally. I think I’d play him ahead of Gomes. If there’s no improvement, at least we’ll know.

Yes i was thinking about Kean or Richarlison up top. Im not bothered who goes RM and who is CF but id be getting Kean in now. Nothing to lose.

One of them in the wide position and Gordon opposite with 2 u23s who want to play for the shirt and run and tackle.

Joe Royle will be in utter horror at the lack of heart in the centre.

At this stage Benni should get a go. At least he will run around and put a tackle or two in. Gylfi needs to go he represents the losing culture for me just like Morgan. Whatever you do get rid of him even if it's on loan.

Baningime + 1 more player whose not shy of a tackle.

He needs to, it leave us light in midfield. I would like 4-3-3 because if you get the right player in the 6 role you can transition to 3-4-3. 4-4-2 was good as a one off tactic but if teams know you are going to play that way they can set up to expose the gaps.
Wrong on so many levels

You are absolutely spot on Zat.

Page 212 of Quiet Leadership by Carlo ...." I still believe that 4-4-2 is the outstanding defensive system. With 4-3-3 you can press high with 3 strikers but it can expose your limitations in midfield. With 4-4-2 you can bring in your wide players so that your central players are not overwhelmed. "

At Real Madrid Carlo wanted to play 4-4-2 with Ronaldo up top with Benzema. In his midfield he intended to play James and Bale wide.Ronaldo however preferred to play wide in a front 3 so he changed it to 4-3-3.

This tactical change was only to get the best out one of the greatest players that has ever played the game. I don't think that Carlo is going to change formation to accomodate the likes of Gomes , Davies etc.

The answer is to sign players that can play Carlo's system.

For the rest of the season play Gordon "wide" to see if he can adapt .

I can see Carlo favouring someone like Cantwell at Norwich to notionally start on the left of midfield and then drift into central midfield bringing energy and legs.

I really see no future for Sigurdsson , Delph and possibly even Gomes and Davies. A ruthless clear out is needed asap.
The midfield needs a complete revamp. If funds are limited this summer I wouldn't have anything against 2-3 midfielders being brought in and leaving defence and attack as it is. I don't think there's 1 midfielder who should expect to survive a cull. Apart from Gordon and we'll be booing him in a year anyway.

Gomes can get in the bin. I dont care one iota about his injury, hes been putting in performances like this numerous times where he ables around shoves opposition players after theyve played the ball and passes backwards.

If Delph put in that showing last night or since lockdown we would all be enraged.

Yes i was thinking about Kean or Richarlison up top. Im not bothered who goes RM and who is CF but id be getting Kean in now. Nothing to lose.

One of them in the wide position and Gordon opposite with 2 u23s who want to play for the shirt and run and tackle.

ha ha ha ha thank god you live in a fantasy football land

Gomes big problem is the players around him. Just look how much better Pogba is at Utd now he has Fernandes playing with him on the same wavelength. Gomes will be fine.. and let’s not forget his leg was actually snapped in half only 7/8 months ago!

....fine player and probably our only ball playing option in CM but he’s not playing too well at the moment. He’s played a lot of games in a short period, it might be worth giving him a rest on Thursday.

You are absolutely spot on Zat.

Page 212 of Quiet Leadership by Carlo ...." I still believe that 4-4-2 is the outstanding defensive system. With 4-3-3 you can press high with 3 strikers but it can expose your limitations in midfield. With 4-4-2 you can bring in your wide players so that your central players are not overwhelmed. "

At Real Madrid Carlo wanted to play 4-4-2 with Ronaldo up top with Benzema. In his midfield he intended to play James and Bale wide.Ronaldo however preferred to play wide in a front 3 so he changed it to 4-3-3.

This tactical change was only to get the best out one of the greatest players that has ever played the game. I don't think that Carlo is going to change formation to accomodate the likes of Gomes , Davies etc.

The answer is to sign players that can play Carlo's system.

For the rest of the season play Gordon "wide" to see if he can adapt .

I can see Carlo favouring someone like Cantwell at Norwich to notionally start on the left of midfield and then drift into central midfield bringing energy and legs.

I really see no future for Sigurdsson , Delph and possibly even Gomes and Davies. A ruthless clear out is needed asap.

Well said.

Gomes
Delph
Sigurdsson
Davies
Iwobi
Walcott
Bernard

Brands has managed to punt Schneiderlin. Theres 7 players left there who arent fit to wear the shirt either lack of end product, lack of heart or lack of ability.

We could probably move on Gomes, Delph, Davies, Bernard on permanents with no book loss.

Iwobi we would take a loss on so would need to swap with someone and Sigurdsson and Walcott out on loan.

I know its a massive clearout but i wouldnt want a single player on the list bar perhaps Davies as a 5th choice in an emergency as hes cheap and homegrown...but then why not ditch him as well and play an u23 player.

Yet before his leg break he was playing the exact same way with Gana to cover and having 1 great game in 5.

If he isnt able to sprint 5-10 metres then he shouldnt be in the squad.

He didn't play well last night Gomes I was screaming at him to pass it forward, also he can be criticised for his lack of production assists wise. But the issue is he is attempting to do two peoples jobs when he doesn't look fully fit himself. I would give him the summer and see he can be used in certain games. We definetly need at least two box to box midfielders with power, pace and physicality that's what we most desperately lack as well as creativity centrally but at least we have potential creativity from certain players, currently we have no energy or drive in central areas.

He didn't play well last night Gomes I was screaming at him to pass it forward, also he can be criticised for his lack of production assists wise. But the issue is he is attempting to do two peoples jobs when he doesn't look fully fit himself. I would give him the summer and see he can be used in certain games. We definetly need at least two box to box midfielders with power, pace and physicality that's what we most desperately lack as well as creativity centrally but at least we have potential creativity from certain players, currently we have no energy or drive in central areas.

Lets not forget that before his injury it was 1 great game in 5. The other 4 were below average to shocking.

Id be on the blower to Valencia.

...I’d be tempted to play Kean up top on Thursday and play Richarlison out wide.

Iwobi is understandably being criticised, but he would give us a bit of energy if he plays centrally. I think I’d play him ahead of Gomes. If there’s no improvement, at least we’ll know.

Just said in the Kean thread that I’d start him Thursday.

Although I’m yet to be convinced, Kean at least seems to want to drive at goal and get a shot away.

@billyblue80

On the 2 box to box players. I agree, in a 442 it has to be Petit/Vieira or Keane/Butt types in there.

People slate 442 but United and Arsenal back in the day would be top 4 at a canter.

2 of Horne, Parkinson and Carsley would have dominated last night.

I want to see centre mids where opposition midfielders walk off the pitch hobbling and dripping sweat as theyve been in a war.

Well said.

Gomes
Delph
Sigurdsson
Davies
Iwobi
Walcott
Bernard

Brands has managed to punt Schneiderlin. Theres 7 players left there who arent fit to wear the shirt either lack of end product, lack of heart or lack of ability.

We could probably move on Gomes, Delph, Davies, Bernard on permanents with no book loss.

Iwobi we would take a loss on so would need to swap with someone and Sigurdsson and Walcott out on loan.

I know its a massive clearout but i wouldnt want a single player on the list bar perhaps Davies as a 5th choice in an emergency as hes cheap and homegrown...but then why not ditch him as well and play an u23 player.

Yet before his leg break he was playing the exact same way with Gana to cover and having 1 great game in 5.

If he isnt able to sprint 5-10 metres then he shouldnt be in the squad.
It's a huge clear out that you are suggesting and I would not be opposed to it but sadly I think that it's probably unrealistic and perhaps the best we can hope for is for Carlo to bring in 2/3 new midfielders and those that we can't get rid of simply get no game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.