Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you
He was never given a chance here, so we can only point to his form in the Championship. He's a class above down there, but he still did his job. Itls much easier playing with better quality playerds around you. Dowell would have thrived in the PL with us or others. The fact he;ls had to step down to the Championship is an indictment of our top flight.

Can you please provide the evidence that Dowell 'is a class above'. Clearly had a decent spell at Forest but has been poor since? Wigan he has done well but that's bottom end as well.

What actual evidence is there that he is a 'class above'? To be a class above in that league you're expecting him to get 25 goal contributions next season right? Dowell looked a talented player but also looked very, very weak. Having good technique isn't enough anymore.

However, Mark Warburton was sacked as Forest manager on 31 December 2017 and was replaced by Aitor Karanka. Dowell fell out of favour under the new manager and struggled to hold a place in the starting eleven. He played just 59 minutes during the last eight games of the season.

Promoted with Sheff Utd, if he was a class above, why didnt they try and sign him full time? Chris Wilder, who has done one of the best jobs in football in the past 5 years valued having Besic ahead of Dowell.

DERBY MANAGER

Later on, I gave him a few options to come back in the team.
"I don't want to say he failed, but you always want to see with a young guy who comes on loan what is the second part of the season going to give him.
"I wanted to be honest with him because I don't want to interfere with his career.

Meaning, he wasn't going to get a game.

2017–2018Nottingham Forest (loan)38(9)
2019Sheffield United (loan)16(2)
2019–2020Derby County (loan)10(0)
2020Wigan Athletic (loan)12(5)

Last edited:
....I don’t think I’d ever have McKenzie in the same sentence as Young, except to say they both once played for Everton.
Same quicksilver players. I didn't see Young, like. But I'm led to believe he was less gimmicky to Duncan McKenzie but similarly unorthodox.

He was never given a chance here, so we can only point to his form in the Championship. He's a class above down there, but he still did his job. Itls much easier playing with better quality playerds around you. Dowell would have thrived in the PL with us or others. The fact he;ls had to step down to the Championship is an indictment of our top flight.

So much wrong with this - you're literally contradicting yourself.

If he's a "class above" the Championship and "would have thrived in the PL" why do only Championship clubs ever come in for him, and why has he not been a "class above" at any of the actual Championship clubs he's played for? He's not been above average overall at any of them. He's had little purple patches at times but he's not dazzled anywhere.

Can you

Can you please provide the evidence that Dowell 'is a class above'. Clearly had a decent spell at Forest but has been poor since? Wigan he has done well but that's bottom end as well.

What actual evidence is there that he is a 'class above'? To be a class above in that league you're expecting him to get 25 goal contributions next season right?

Why are you measuring his contribution in goals?

Can you

What actual evidence is there that he is a 'class above'? To be a class above in that league you're expecting him to get 25 goal contributions next season right? Dowell looked a talented player but also looked very, very weak. Having good technique isn't enough anymore.

3 of those wigan goals came in that mad 9-0 v Hull where they properly just threw in the towel.

So much wrong with this - you're literally contradicting yourself.

If he's a "class above" the Championship and "would have thrived in the PL" why do only Championship clubs ever come in for him, and why has he not been a "class above" at any of the actual Championship clubs he's played for? He's not been above average overall at any of them. He's had little purple patches at times but he's not dazzled anywhere.
He has been a class above though. Clearly he's been a class above.

And you're going to place him in a team of crabs with a fanbase who hates players who don't press and work hard, he wouldn't make it here
But that's down to others. That's a cultural issue.

These Everton fans today would have hated some of our very best players.

It's they who need to change, not the players with talent.

Martinez tried his best to re-educate Evertonians about their own heritage...but the bed sheet banner waving troglodytes wanted hoofball back.

Same quicksilver players. I didn't see Young, like. But I'm led to believe he was less gimmicky to Duncan McKenzie but similarly unorthodox.

...nah, Young was a class act, Dave. I watched him lots. Very graceful, magnificent touch and prodigious in the air. There’s a view that Alan Ball largely chose Everton because of Young. No gimmicks. If there’s a criticism he wasn’t aggressive, but the game was tough in those days and he survived.

its fair to say McKenzie was a flair player, but I might be being unkind to say he was more suited to the circus.

Status
Not open for further replies.