Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest issue is, again, the timing of all this.

We are, by far, the highest bidder in terms of wages and fee for Witsel. He stalls. And stalls. And stalls. People get impatient, say 'why are we not moving onto plan B' and told 'you just can't do that, have patience'. So it looks like it's off weeks ago. And we never seemed to move for plan B.

Wtf happened there?

We know Kone and Niasse are crap. Season begins and we don't even have a recognized striker. We wait until three matches in to go for a striker.

Wtf happened there?

Keeper...enough said there.

What the utter hell happened in this window?
Think gueye was the plan b or plan c or something. He seems decent enough though.
I'm with you about the striker though.

My biggest issue is, again, the timing of all this.

We are, by far, the highest bidder in terms of wages and fee for Witsel. He stalls. And stalls. And stalls. People get impatient, say 'why are we not moving onto plan B' and told 'you just can't do that, have patience'. So it looks like it's off weeks ago. And we never seemed to move for plan B.

Wtf happened there?

We know Kone and Niasse are crap. Season begins and we don't even have a recognized striker. We wait until three matches in to go for a striker.

Wtf happened there?

Keeper...enough said there.

What the utter hell happened in this window?
We signed 4 players so far and our squad is much better for it

this thread is like a stale old bowl of horrible candy, makes me nauseous and my teeth hurt.

can't stop eating it though.

There's funding way beyond this notional £100 million transfer war chest, but we need to keep within the cost control limitations set by the PL - my view is that this year we can only achieve that by one significant player sale. That shouldn't be a concern, it's a tactical decision, bit like in chess, sometimes you have to sacrifice a piece to win the game.

I don't want to knock The Esk because I think all his posts are in good faith and to the best of his knowledge, accurate, but some of the bedwetters are making some vaild points. Doesn't mean they're right but they are bringing up decent arguments.

I think many people that are a bit negative atm aren't just on one because they expected world class players to come in and because our net spend isn't impressive I think it's because whichever way you look at it and despite us improving our team and the squad, currently, if we don't sign a good 2nd striker and possibly another CM, maybe even goalkeeper too, we will struggle if we pick up injuries.

If we are serious about becoming a major force, even without the ability to attract top players, we still should have a stronger squad than we currently have to make sure we don't lose momentum due to injuries, loss of form.

Will we manage to get in the players we need tomorrow? maybe, maybe not, it's always a lottery on deadline day and that's where the negative posters angst is coming from imo.

It's not just a case of we can't attract the top players either to me, the next wave of big name players are out there, currently playing for smaller teams. Big clubs miss loads of talented players when they're young. Yes, some would turn us down but some wouldn't as we can offer them a step up in their career and far better wages.

It's down to our manager, dof and scouting network to find, highlight and check the availability and willingness of players to come to us ahead of time so that we don't end up in the position we will be in tomorrow. In that respect we've failed, because we're playing the lottery and hoping we get lucky.

I'm not saying it's easy to pull off but we've spent how many weeks wasting time on unrealistic targets when we could have been focussing on players that were more likely to come to us. We took a gamble and unless any of those big signings come off tomorrow then it was one we lost.

If that's the case it was an error of judgement from the club. Hopefully they'll pull off a blinder and suprise us all tomorrow with some great signings to fill the gaps in the squad but I can totally understand why some people are a bit worried.

I'll tell you what's not right and here's the blunt reality. Despite having a brilliant business man as a new major shareholder, despite having a globally recognised manager, despite having "the most influential man in the PL" in our DoF, the cold, hard facts are that we are not as attractive a club as we the fans think we are - yet.

After 25 years of stagnation and relative deterioration we've a huge amount of catch up to do. Despite the promises of our new management team, and the prospects for our future, until we achieve things on the pitch and off it we won't attract the very highest level of players because in footballing terms (which ultimately is what players are interested in) we're also rans - a great club with a great history, but not currently at the highest levels of the game.

We thought, I thought, we could sell a good enough pitch to make some of the very best want to come to us, be part of the project, but the sad truth is that a professional footballer's career is short, and they will only deal in the now, not the future.

I've no doubt we'll make it back to the highest levels, but I'm a fan and can wait, a professional footballer has options and can have jam today, not just tomorrow.

Great post mate. There will be a lot of posts tomorrow and a lot of anger especially if we don't ring in some faces tomorrow. I'll probably write some critical pieces. It shouldn't extend to you or any other posters though. In the same way people's anger at martinez shouldn't be used against people like Davek, he has an opinion but isn't the cause.

This window hasn't gone to plan. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say it's been hard for us to sell Everton. When you boil it down we are a club who hasn't won a trophy for over 20 years.

If there was one criticism of this window I'd say we've been to slow to adapt to that reality. That our money and ambition alone without much to back it up hasn't been as easy to sell. If we can finish top 6 next season it should be a lot easier. I think though, we have probably not reacted quickly enough.

I do also think we are moving through the stages of change slowly. I would say we are still in transition to be the club Moshiri wants us to be. Rightly or wrongly he hasn't looked to clear out all of the old guard. Many see that as a bad thing. Yet would people have really wanted Unsworth, Fergusan, the youth academy staff, the sense of identity to the city being thrown away? Deep down I think most people were quite happy to have a slower transition but are far less happy when bits we don't want have to be kept on. I do think though, elements of the old guard and practices of not closing deals haven't helped.

Longer term all anyone can reasonably ask for is that lessons are learnt and improved next time. Sometimes in business a deal doesn't go your way, despite you doing not an awful lot wrong. The key is not to keep repeating the same mistakes while still remaining true to yourself.

Moshiri seems like someone who entrusts people with responsibility and will act accordingly when they don't deliver. I would imagine some of the bungled approach won't be repeated. Money will be available at future windows and we will again strive to get business closed earlier.

I do think the mythical 2nd investor who may come will make a big difference. As will Walsh bedding in, our climb up the league and also a potential appointment of David Dein (Arsenal fans still don't think they've recovered from losing him).

Criticism should follow if we don't secure some key targets tomorrow. Im not massively alarmed with the net spend stuff as I think we can all see it's not "sell to by" it just happens to be the two figures correlate. I think we've probably missed a good opportunity having sold Stones to move our wage bill up but as suggested above, the long term plan didn't play out as we thought. Either way I still think that was sensible business all round.

My concern is the transfer strategy has looked slightly muddled and we don't close deals effectively. Hopefully with everyone in their roles for January and more movement in the boardroom both can be rectified going forward. There is an inevitability about it.

I would finally say people can and should be critical but this doesn't automatically mean Moshiri is awful or been shown up. There's progress being made all over the club that as yet hasn't been matched on player recruitment. I'm confident it will catch up. Lets hope any criticism is measured and also doesn't fall down to pinpointing individual posters whatever their viewpoint. With the greatest will in the world, however strongly you feel in any direction it is really not supporters on a forum who have caused any problems. We are just commentators.

Status
Not open for further replies.