Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Devils advocate here.

If witsel ends up with a choice between us and Juventus then we aren't signing him.

If koulibaby has a choice between us and Chelsea then we aren't signing him.

If mata has any sort of guarantee he will play this season it is very unlikely we are signing him.

If arsenal flash their knickers at Williams (if true) then we would have to pay significantly more wages than them for a 32 year old otherwise we aren't signing him.

My question is, who are the back ups? A lot of these so called deals have very high failure rates if other clubs are interested, who do we genuinely believe could be back ups who offer the same quality?

And two other points to ponder.

1. Why the hell are we waiting for other clubs to show interest in our players rather than going all out to get these deals done asap? We can't sign players by hoping they reject other teams first, we should he ruthless and get them done before the interest comes in.

2. Perhaps another issue here is the fact we aren't selling lukaku and have priced him out a move. Because his agent seems to be selling every other client this summer (look it up) so the fact we are putting a dampener in him doing a clean sweep of targets moved on (and less of a payday for him) that he could potentially cause issues for our transfer business.

Your above points are spot on. The reality is we are targeting players who are out of our league and hoping some of the larger teams drop out or can't agree fees, it is a risky strategy.

I really don't think it's possible to get people to join. Witsel is obviously telling us to wait.

Another you can add to your list mate:

"People are really underestimating the damage Roberto Martinez has done to the reputation of Everton."
Yet the same ones were backing him up until the last couple of weeks of his reign!!

It's fine being liberal about things and taking a lackadaisical approach, but bear in mind if it wasn't for fan pressure Martinez would still be here.

This agent isn't just a run of the mill one, he carries a lot of weight in thst area of the football world. So if he wanted to cause issues for us he probably could. The cutthroat element comes from getting the clients, not selling them.

Nor saying that is the case, just saying it could well be a factor

He's just the highest profile one mate, actually doesn't have a huge amount of clients, witsels agency for example dwarfs him.

If we were to make a habit of this type of signing I would 100% be in agreement with you. However, I believe there are exceptional occasions when such signings are justified, and this is one of them.

We're crying out for a dominant defender, somebody who, for his height, is really good in the air and a fantastic organiser. We also need a natural leader on the pitch. We need these qualities right now. A quick fix if you like. We don't need a long term fix as there's plenty of potential already within the club.

Williams ticks all the boxes and some. Over the last 3 seasons I don't think I've seen a defender who has been more influential against us; at times he has seemed to keep us out singlehandedly. In fact, I find it hard to name a single opposition player who has stood out more against us. He replicated that in the euros this summer, one of the stand out players for me in what was, admittedly, a very low quality tournament.

His experience and influence on the younger defenders (whether that include Stones or his replacement) would be invaluable. His inclusion, together with a quality GK and DM, is needed to solve the significant defensive problems that have been all too evident I our pre-season so far. So yes, I believe the £10m price tag is not only justified, but actually represents good value for money in the current market given what he brings to the table.

I fail to see where £10million on a 32 year old can possibly be seen as 'good value'?

It's atrocious value

I can't remember 100% but I am sure you mentioned that Bill Kenwright had nothing to do with transfers. Erwin saying the chairman and Koeman are busy with transfers

My understanding and I'm sure others elsewhere will confirm is that Bill has not been involved in the selection of players nor the negotiations. The one exception will be the sale of Stones. The main bulk of work will be done by Koeman and now Walsh. Moshiri has been involved in some of our major targets.

Reminds me of United a couple of years ago

Brought in a new manager and DOF, and struggled to get transfers over the line because they were both getting to grips with it all

Then all they managed to sign was a fuzzy haired Belgian centre mid and Juan Mata :coffee:

Playing Devils advocate here.

If witsel ends up with a choice between us and Juventus then we aren't signing him.

If koulibaby has a choice between us and Chelsea then we aren't signing him.

If mata has any sort of guarantee he will play this season it is very unlikely we are signing him.

If arsenal flash their knickers at Williams (if true) then we would have to pay significantly more wages than them for a 32 year old otherwise we aren't signing him.

My question is, who are the back ups? A lot of these so called deals have very high failure rates if other clubs are interested, who do we genuinely believe could be back ups who offer the same quality?

And two other points to ponder.

1. Why the hell are we waiting for other clubs to show interest in our players rather than going all out to get these deals done asap? We can't sign players by hoping they reject other teams first, we should he ruthless and get them done before the interest comes in.

2. Perhaps another issue here is the fact we aren't selling lukaku and have priced him out a move. Because his agent seems to be selling every other client this summer (look it up) so the fact we are putting a dampener in him doing a clean sweep of targets moved on (and less of a payday for him) that he could potentially cause issues for our transfer business.

How exactly do we do that?
We can approach a player with all the money in the world and say "right lad we want you signing tonight", but if that player and his agent turn around a say :"We appreciate your offer but we want to hear from other interested parties before we make a decision.", what do you expect the club to do? At that point you´ve got two options, either tell the player to forget it or bide your time and wait. Everton have done the latter.

The one exception will be the sale of Stones.

tumblr_ncok3tEJOQ1qdlh1io1_250.gif

How exactly do we do that?
We can approach a player with all the money in the world and say "right lad we want you signing tonight", but if that player and his agent turn around a say :"We appreciate your offer but we want to hear from other interested parties before we make a decision.", what do you expect the club to do? At that point you´ve got two options, either tell the player to forget it or bide your time and wait. Everton have done the latter.
Offer the higher wages and then tell them they have to decide whether to wait for interest or sign with us. Simple really.

If it means we get turned down then so be it, plenty of time to find replacements. You are thinking of it much too nicely here. We need to be securing these deals and being ruthless about it, not every player will wait for a better offer and we could do business much more quickly. If they want to wait to see if another club comes in then it's only their pocket thst is affected. If 4 weeks down the line after we walk away the deal is on and the interest never came then that is when the player will happily sign or stay put.

Either way in a straight shootout now between us and champions league clubs, we aren't going to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.