Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's one of those phrases "sell to buy" that everyone sort of latches onto and hates. Football clubs have to sell and have to buy. Actually selling players generates cash flow, and also helps the balance sheet enormously. If you are selling players for cash, you're doing something correct.

In defence of Brands, it's very difficult to move players on for a multitude of reasons, but most notably that we have overpaid for players that haven't worked out. The complaint for Brands, is in certain instances he has compounded an existing problem. Iwobi, Delph, Bernard and Gomes come to mind, and yes I appreciate Gomes had a serious injury but it's a big problem. Delph should never have got a 3 year deal. If he had the same deal as James, a 2 year + 1 option then we could have just moved him on this summer. Iwobi should not have got a 5 year deal, absolutely no way. Bernard should probably have only been a 3 year deal, or really a 2 + 1 as well. We've got into contracts we just can't get away from.

At present, unless we sell "upwards" we are going to struggle to sell anyone.
I know very little about the subject but isn't the rationale around offering a 5 year deal to Iwobi is that his transfer fee is spread over the contract. In other words the cost is 5.6 million in a financial year and not 14 or 9 with a 2 and 3 year contract. This allows the club to buy another player at the same time whereas they may not be able to do so otherwise.

I think that the rationale is potentially sound with younger big money transfers as long as you get the original decision correct. There is probably a market for Iwobi somewhere and whilst there may be an overall loss on the initial transfer fee its possible to post a profit as long as the sale value is more than the value left on the contract. In other words if we get more than 10 million in his final 2 years it will be a profit for the accounts.

Delph doesn't make sense

I really can't see the problem, with these potential signings? They are obviously squad fillers/players the manager thinks can do a job for him.

Firstly both free or nearly (£1.5 million is nothing to a premier league club). So little or no risk.

Our manager has worked, Townsend, before knows what he's getting.

Both have Premier league experience and are British.

I watched a you tube on Townsend last night. I know they would make me look like Messi, but he does what we need. Puts crosses in and tracks back when needed. Unfortunately he played for Palace so there was no one on the end of the cross, but they were in the right place to be scored from. Plus he does have a worldy goal in him, every now and then.

As for Gray, its basically a free punt on a player, who has lost his way. Seen him have some great games, in the past.

As I said, these are for cover and the bench. I have no problem wi

A triple unveiling of Begovic, Gray and Townsend. lol lol
Wow that really excites me, can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.