Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with a lot of this. I doubt we will sell Richarlison and DCL in the same summer though - Richarlison is the more likely candidate (assuming there is a European market for him - PSG in a post-Mbappe world might be most likely) given he will have two years left on his deal next summer. Let's call it £70m or so to be on the conservative side, which will give us an accounting profit on him of north of £50m. Driving the wage bill down will be a big focus, although next summer also sees James, Sigurdsson, Tosun and Delph leave the club which sees us shed over £400k per week off the wage bill as well. Next summer is a big reset moment for us (we will also have to sell the high-earning Mina who will have one year left on his deal) and, despite the fact I threw my toys out of the pram about him coming here, we probably have a good manager in place to deal with that. Not sure we will need to deal at the free transfer/bargain basement end of the market, but I'd be v surprised to see us bringing in any big earning/huge transfer fee types
He will have 2.5yrs left. And I think we will win at a lot more than 70. If you compare to sancho who cost 75, then fair enough. 70 could be considered fair. But then you look at Pepe who cost Arsenal 72. They’ve also spent 50 on a CB. Maguire cost Utd more than sancho.

Getting the best price, comes down to which teams want your players. If Spurs wanted maguire I think it would have been more likely 60mil. I also think sancho wouid have been more closer to 120mil if he’s posted the numbers he did for Dortmund, over the last 2 season. At a prem club.

When you think Watford want 70 for sarr, Leeds wouid want similar for Raphina. Wolves wanting 50 for Traore. Probably more for Neto, who’s a bigger talent than Traore. Non of these players have posted the numbers Richarlison has. The otter scenario, is waiting till after the World Cup. And hoping he has a great tournament for Brazil

Also relieved the window closed without us overpaying for rubbish again. No excuse for not getting a rb in again though. Maybe a year off will force a reset and a rethink and can produce a working system for us instead of the disastrous scattergun approach since Moshiri came in.4 yrs without a rb. Im sure Brands could've found a cheap rb somewhere in the world to give Seamus a rest, he did nothing all summer every signing was Benetiz. No idea why we have a dof if moshiri lets every new manager pick the signings. i hope we win every game but Benetiz however I'll never accept whilst hes still loved by that lot. Moyes should be here if we're going down the austerity route... Imo, Moyes should be here even if we had money.
Not for me. Rafael Is a better manager than Moyes, yes moyes did well last season and maybe he’s suited to an underdog team. West Ham also hardly had an injuries last season. So that to was a massive help. I have no doubt, like they bottled the chance to get top 4. They will bottle their Q/final in Europe or a cup semi this season.

Nothing will ever change with Moyes, I couldn’t think of anything worse going back to the Moyes/kenwright era

Isn’t the rules 105mil over 3 years? And if so why do you keep mentioning 240mil

And also didn’t Moshiri turn some loses into equity?
£240m is what we have actually lost over the last two years. We are allowed £105m loss over three years.

The losses are different to our debt which is ok.
It's the great reset. We are in for a belt tightening regime for a few seasons - and I think the club with a stadium to sort out will welcome that and the external imposition of spending restrictions, so I'm not sure they would be hoping for it to be binned, Neiler.

IIRC when Moshiri came in he said that Everton had a window of opportunity spending wise in terms of squad building - which I always took to mean that he'd accept a lot of debt up to a point. Obviously we've run out of road in that respect, hastened by the pandemic. He and Usmanov are done with spending.

Next summer we'll have players out of contract to replace, so we'll see players in by necessity. They'll get players out and look for Gray / Townsend type replacements with savings in wages in mind; they'll also have a sale of Richarlison or DCL prepared in order to give the manager the proceeds. Our spending will look more like a bottom half of the table team than a top four team as it's been for the last 5 seasons.
This really. The financial reality has caught up. The cost of poor players seeing out their contracts and generating no transfer fee is just unsustainable.

We may see an unexpected departure too if true deal is good enough. Someone like Godfrey or Digne.

He will have 2.5yrs left. And I think we will win at a lot more than 70. If you compare to sancho who cost 75, then fair enough. 70 could be considered fair. But then you look at Pepe who cost Arsenal 72. They’ve also spent 50 on a CB. Maguire cost Utd more than sancho.

Getting the best price, comes down to which teams want your players. If Spurs wanted maguire I think it would have been more likely 60mil. I also think sancho wouid have been more closer to 120mil if he’s posted the numbers he did for Dortmund, over the last 2 season. At a prem club.

When you think Watford want 70 for sarr, Leeds wouid want similar for Raphina. Wolves wanting 50 for Traore. Probably more for Neto, who’s a bigger talent than Traore. Non of these players have posted the numbers Richarlison has. The otter scenario, is waiting till after the World Cup. And hoping he has a great tournament for Brazil

No he won't - all of our player contracts run to 30th June. By the end of this season he will have two years left on his contract here. I know he signed a new one midway through a season, but it still runs to 30th June 2024

Agree with a lot of this. I doubt we will sell Richarlison and DCL in the same summer though - Richarlison is the more likely candidate (assuming there is a European market for him - PSG in a post-Mbappe world might be most likely) given he will have two years left on his deal next summer. Let's call it £70m or so to be on the conservative side, which will give us an accounting profit on him of north of £50m. Driving the wage bill down will be a big focus, although next summer also sees James, Sigurdsson, Tosun and Delph leave the club which sees us shed over £400k per week off the wage bill as well. Next summer is a big reset moment for us (we will also have to sell the high-earning Mina who will have one year left on his deal) and, despite the fact I threw my toys out of the pram about him coming here, we probably have a good manager in place to deal with that. Not sure we will need to deal at the free transfer/bargain basement end of the market, but I'd be v surprised to see us bringing in any big earning/huge transfer fee types
Personally, I think we are going to have to spend fairly big next summer as the squads going to look pretty imbalanced especially if we don't make Europe again.

If we sell richie, we have to buy a replacement and that will cost us.
We need a starting RB and then potentially a back up RB.
I can see us needing a starting CB as questions continue there.
Allan is over 30 and a lot is now riding on Gbamin being able to get fit and be good enough. But even if he is, we still then need to bring in further midfield cover if Delph and Gylfi are gone.
Townsend is over 30 and ideally is a squad player anyway.
We will need another back up keeper.

Even with the squad we have now, we only named 8 players on the bench last game and 2 were keepers. And one of the players has left as well so we need to actually have a squad.

Has anyone even considered that the manager is happy with his options at right back and preferred to improve the squad in the areas we have?

He said that he had been following Everton and knew what was needed, perhaps he prioritised the areas we have strengthened over right back? After all, he is the manager, he knew what we could and could not spend, he chose to get the roles filled that we did.

Because we pretty much all think that RB is a priority, 3 managers have come and gone that disagreed with that as first choice activity, so perhaps they know something we don't? Like we have adequate cover? Well at least in the opinion of the guys who see the staff and make the decisions?

Not even perhaps?
If Benitez didn't think RB was a priority then he's an idiot. I don't think that's the case, however, as we were linked with various RBs.

Very sure - it's standard practice - how many players in the Premier League have you ever heard of who became free agents in the middle of December after signing a 5 year contract?

Pretty much all PL contracts run to 30th June
I didn’t realise that, just thought because It was December his deal wouid run out then

If Benitez didn't think RB was a priority then he's an idiot. I don't think that's the case, however, as we were linked with various RBs.
I think If you spoke to Rafael privately, he would tell you of a number of flaws in this squad, but he can’t change them overnight.

I read a rumours that he didn’t want AMN? Probably rubbish, but who knows.

In many ways I am glad the crazy spending is over. The recruitment team will have to work much harder to get value.

It has happened this summer and in terms of quality, the transfers in are better than in some of the previous summer windows.

I would like to see some investment into some younger players for squad filling. Players under 24 that can the manager will actually be willing to use.

In many ways I am glad the crazy spending is over. The recruitment team will have to work much harder to get value.

It has happened this summer and in terms of quality, the transfers in are better than in some of the previous summer windows.

I would like to see some investment into some younger players for squad filling. Players under 24 that can the manager will actually be willing to use.
I agree. Spending vast amounts of money on players with big reputations is not always the route to success. If you look at the mid-80s team there were no real superstars when that team was being assembled but as a team and with an excellent manager it all clicked together and they were fantastic. That was of course a different era and football has changed but in recent history you could argue that Leicester City achieved similar success with many previously unfashionable players

I agree. Spending vast amounts of money on players with big reputations is not always the route to success. If you look at the mid-80s team there were no real superstars when that team was being assembled but as a team and with an excellent manager it all clicked together and they were fantastic. That was of course a different era and football has changed but in recent history you could argue that Leicester City achieved similar success with many previously unfashionable players
I do think it’s a different era now. And I know you’ve pointed to Leicester recently, which is fair enough. But they’ve also spent plenty of money since the League win. But recouped well over a 200mil from selling players.

People always seem to mention Liverpool and the success they’ve had, while balancing the books. First let’s not make out Liverpool never spend money. They’ve always been one of the biggest spenders in the prem era. And got a lot wrong from the 2006 cup win up to Klopp nearly 10yrs later. And like Leicester they’ve recouped big money for 3 players, while also probably getting close to 100mil for fringe players.

I think their model would have been to sell one of salah or mane for big money this window or last sumner and go again. I think that ship has sailed. I still think next sumner they could get decent money for salah. Mane, firmino not so much. Will be interesting to see how they get on, with out a massive asset to sell and FSG unlikely to bank roll them. And with klopp going in 3yrs. How will Liverpool bridge that gap. It will be quite a let down for one of the best managers in history. The best front 3 ever and the best CB. And to the obsessed media, if in 10yrs klopp wins only 2 trophies. Don’t get me wrong I would love us to win one.

But they and Leicester to a lesser extent have proved you can compete, with excellent recruitment and have a top manager. But going back to the Moyes days. And signing cheap players from the championship and abroad, will only take you so far. To compete, you still need a number of top class players in your team.

Yes, we'll need someone with a good eye for a punt on a couple of young players under £15M and some more seasoned professionals - Benitez knows the South American scene very well and I'd expect him to target there.

Status
Not open for further replies.