Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’m kind of seeing it the same way. He’s clearly a very talented player, those games against us and Liverpool were outstanding, but I’m conscious they were also 2 1/2 years ago and he hasn’t reached that level too many times since. I’d be wary of a loan, because I feel like he’s unlikely to properly hit the ground running and he’d sort of be learning his role for a while. As a long term investment it could pay off but for one season I’m not sure.

My thinking too, Chelsea are probably one of the few clubs that would accept our pay you in a few years time structure also, anything around 10-15 with the bulk bring very easy add-ons would be perfect.

Don't want to bring him on loan he develops and ends up benefiting Chelsea. Plus would like us to try use that loan spot to grab someone else from them too

Problem we have is all our deals hinge upon a £0 upfront fee in 2022/23 financial period due to our FFP issues, with the deals back-ended / larger amounts towards the end of the payment structure.

Unless you're a European powerhouse with cash on hand (or Barcelona just cooking the books), teams never pay the reported fee up front, but they do pay something. Herein lies the problem of getting a selling team to agree to a player sale for £0 initial return, other than the player wages off their books for 12 months.

In order for the selling club to agree to this £0 year one fee, the overall fee goes up to essentially cater for "interest" imposed by the seller. This is very similar to the Dele deal. Levy basically said "Sure you can have him for free now but if he comes good we are rinsing you".

This also makes any loans tricky, but does open the door for any loan to buy agreement if our recruitment team can spot a gem and lock in a fee now, which will be a bargain in 12 months time and possibly immediately flip the player for a quick profit.

The catch with loan with obligation to buy is if they stink the house out on loan, we are still stuck with them, much like Moise Kean at Juve.

The flipside to our situation is due to our budget issues, teams know that simply shifting a player for no fee is still a win for us, and one we are increasingly likely to agree to the later in the window we get. Example; Andre Gomes.

TL;DR - We need free transfers or outcast players not wanted by other clubs. Not a great combo when anticipating a relegation fight again.

From the linked players.

Buy Gilmour, Buy MGW.

Loan in (assuming they'd come) Perisic and Gueye. That's if we can shift some of the wage drain we have ourselves to pay for these. Try take some punt on a loan from Barca/Madrid of one of their young bucks.

Problem we have is all our deals hinge upon a £0 upfront fee in 2022/23 financial period due to our FFP issues, with the deals back-ended / larger amounts towards the end of the payment structure.

Unless you're a European powerhouse with cash on hand (or Barcelona just cooking the books), teams never pay the reported fee up front, but they do pay something. Herein lies the problem of getting a selling team to agree to a player sale for £0 initial return, other than the player wages off their books for 12 months.

In order for the selling club to agree to this £0 year one fee, the overall fee goes up to essentially cater for "interest" imposed by the seller. This is very similar to the Dele deal. Levy basically said "Sure you can have him for free now but if he comes good we are rinsing you".

This also makes any loans tricky, but does open the door for any loan to buy agreement if our recruitment team can spot a gem and lock in a fee now, which will be a bargain in 12 months time and possibly immediately flip the player for a quick profit.

The catch with loan with obligation to buy is if they stink the house out on loan, we are still stuck with them, much like Moise Kean at Juve.

The flipside to our situation is due to our budget issues, teams know that simply shifting a player for no fee is still a win for us, and one we are increasingly likely to agree to the later in the window we get. Example; Andre Gomes.

TL;DR - We need free transfers or outcast players not wanted by other clubs. Not a great combo when anticipating a relegation fight again.

I'm not sure that's true at all.

That's important for cash flow, but if you agree a guaranteed transfer fee of, for example, £20m on a 5 year contract, it doesn't matter if you pay £1m of it up front or all of it up front. On the books it's £4m per year.

Happy to be corrected, but that's the way I've understood it to work.

Edit - unless you mean we need to do Dele-type deals where the money isn't technically guaranteed, in which case it doesn't go on the books until the clause kicks in

That's important for cash flow, but if you agree a guaranteed transfer fee of, for example, £20m on a 5 year contract, it doesn't matter if you pay £1m of it up front or all of it up front. On the books it's £4m per year.

Edit - unless you mean we need to do Dele-type deals where the money isn't technically guaranteed, in which case it doesn't go on the books until the clause kicks in
So how come the upfront payment makes a difference. I thought we had cash but couldn’t spend because of FFP but if the initial payments are an issue it must be because of a cash issue & not FFP then?

A short clip from Scotland vs Moldova, Patterson’s goal. The pass into McGinn, playing as a 2nd striker is from Gilmour. Doesn’t count as an assist, but it makes the move. To me, that’s where I want him playing, higher up the pitch. Yeah ok, it’s only Moldova, but it’s an example of where I think he’d eventually be most effective

That Nathan Patterson looks good. We should sign him...

I think you are right.

When I was reading earlier comments I was wondering if people have mis understood how FFP works.
The ironic thing is that FFP should be about debt but the current version is not really anything other than saying you can only spend over our arbitrary limit if you earn it through commercial means as opposed to some wealth person giving you it and that is just wrong.

I think you are right.

When I was reading earlier comments I was wondering if people have mis understood how FFP works.
The ironic thing is that FFP should be about debt but the current version is not really anything other than saying you can only spend over our arbitrary limit if you earn it through commercial means as opposed to some wealth person giving you it and that is just wrong.

A wealthy person can give it to you, but they have to get equity in the club or buy sponsorship rights in exchange. That's why Moshiri is seeking external investment, because there's not really many levers you can pull when you own 95% of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.