Everton Pre-Season (Tours) 2022/23 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see so many US based toffees and expats getting to bond here this evening. The first half fare was beyond bad but grounds for optimism in the second half, especially at the back in my opinion. The sub keeper looks like a kid with potential also.
Midfield and upfront we are threadbare however. That won’t be a surprise to anyone on here. 2 mids and striker needed over the the coming weeks. Anything else and we can expect another relegation fight this season.
There are a couple of players who played tonight who are finished btw. Rondon, Davies offer nothing whatsoever. Dele looks disinterested. Any offers come in for those three, snap their hands off.

Did dobbin or simms play in first half? From what I seen in the 2nd we were crying out for pace and movement up front
No Dobbin or Simms throughout. These were the two elevens that we fielded:

First half:

GK: Pickford
RCB: Holgate
CB: Godfrey
LCB: Mina
RWB: Patterson
LWB: Nkounkou
CM: Davies
CM: Doucoure
RW: Gray
LW: Dele
ST: Calvert-Lewin

Second half:

GK: Crellin
RCB: Tarkowski
CB: Keane
LCB: Welch
RWB: Mills
LWB: Mykolenko
CM: Warrington
CM: Gbamin
RW: Iwobi
LW: Gordon
ST: Rondon

Some assorted comments from my buddy who doesn't really watch football:

Arsenal just play so much faster
16 is scared of the ball
5 minutes later: 16 is a midfielder? How can he do that and not want the ball?
36 is the worst player by far
The second half they at least gave a bleep

Some assorted comments from my buddy who doesn't really watch football:

Arsenal just play so much faster
16 is scared of the ball
5 minutes later: 16 is a midfielder? How can he do that and not want the ball?
36 is the worst player by far
The second half they at least gave a bleep
So your "friend" happens to share your exact sentiments on doucoure? Is your friend just a sock puppet you wear on your hand and talk to by chance?

I was sitting on the ninth row behind the goal we defended in the first half and attacked in the second.

The ball movement in the first half was awful. The back 3/5 were sideways passing and there was no forward movement. The goals were terrible defending. How you leave Jesus unmarked at the back post on a corner when you have 3 cbs is beyond me.

Second half was better. Rondon wasnt bad. He held up well and gave their cbs problems physically. Iwobi was everywhere but couldn’t quite get the ball out of his feet. The best upside performance was Gbamin. Moved well and his size is an advantage, can’t barge him off the ball. But even with Gordon being brighter than any attacker in the first half there wasn’t enough malice in the attack.

We have got to have more bodies in the middle and we desperately need creativity.

Never heard of Mills before but he was great, didnt seem like the occasion was too big and was just about perfect throughout. Tarky was very good and if he consistently plays like that would be a great signing. DCL and Gordon look worlds ahead of every other one of our offensive players, and they struggled to get opportunities. Myko looked good. Patterson looked improved, but I really liked just how incensed he was with some of the other poor play around him and decision making. Looks like he really cares and wont stand for it, a good sign for future improvement.

On the negative side, Holgate is dreadful, and still shows that anytime the ball is at his feet its a disaster for Everton. Half of their shots came off of his free giveaways. Nkounkou basically make sure he doesnt make the team. Was absolutely awful and at every moment looked like he didnt belong. Pickford going for that one was pretty bad, hope he got it out of his system. TBH Arsenal did very little except abuse Holgate and Nkounkou on several occasions.
Watching that game tells you the real needs are a top CM if we are going to play 2 in mid, a striker so that we dont have to see Rondon, 1 winger and another CB so we dont have to play Holgate ever.

Just got back from the match, boss to see us "take over" that one end behind the goal. Fantastic stadium to boot.

However..

We were absolutely shocking.
I love Frank, but he's gonna get binned if he plays 2 in the middle with that choice of players. We offered absolutely NOTHING.
Reminded me of last game of the season. Arsenal breezed through us.

Lads, seriously it's time to get worried. That was unbelievablely bad. Second half was better, but we really didn't threaten whatsoever - it was just an improvement on the first half.

Tarkowski looked solid and assured. He's a great signing... but ffs we were way off the pace. We need better players and we need them now.

Good times!

687A0CCD-65D5-48E0-8273-833B09040F77.jpeg

That was just before their first goal off the corner, ball coming in from Pickford’s right. You can already see that the back post is undefended.

Status
Not open for further replies.