everton player quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upper_Gwlady

Player Valuation: £500k
“Once Everton has touched you nothing will be the same.” - Alan Ball

“I was running back to the centre circle after I scored the second goal against Liverpool and pure elation welled up inside me. I remember thinking, “I just love this place – I want this place forever.” - Alan Ball

“There was nothing like silencing the Kop. When you stuck a goal in there, it all went quiet, apart from a bit of choice language aimed in your direction. Scoring there was a delight to me. I just used to turn round to the crowd and bow three times to them.” - Dixie Dean

“I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that.” - Dixie Dean

“Well done lad, but remember, you’re still only half as good as I was” – Dixie Dean to Bob Latchford after his 30th league goal in ’78

“Everton have always been noted for going out on the pitch to play football. We got called the school of science quite rightly. The other lot, the Reds, well they were a gang of butchers. They should have been working in an abattoir. McNab, McKinlay and the Wadsworths, God bless my soul, they’d kick an old woman.” - Dixie Dean

“The fans here have always been great towards me. They are unbelievable. They took me in and they are the best fans in the country, if not the world.” - Duncan Ferguson

“It was the best 10 years of my career, in fact they are the only team I ever actually played for. That’s what happens when you play for Everton, you forget the rest, the rest means nothing.” - Duncan Ferguson

“I came to Everton to win.” - Andy Gray

“We had Neville Southall, we knew we weren’t going to concede many goals” – Andy Gray

“Z Cars started playing on the PA and I heard the crowd roar. If I could bottle a moment and save it forever, then that’d be it.” - Alan Harper

“I’d break every bone in my body for any club I play for but I’d die for Everton.” - Dave Hickson

“I have the honour of being the most successful manager in the history of one of the greatest and biggest clubs in the world.”- Howard Kendall

“Don’t forget boys, One Evertonian is worth Twenty Liverpudlians.” - Brian Labone

“Evertonians are so enthusiastic about their players. It staggers me every time I go there. I might have started at Birmingham, but my soul is at Goodison” - Bob Latchford

“We probably hated him more than the fans. He blatantly stole results from us on more than one occasion.” - Bob Latchford talking about Clive Thomas

“If you ask any Evertonian who was the worst referee ever, I bet they all say Clive Thomas – even those who weren’t around in 1977″ - Mick Lyons

“If they got beat he was awful to live with because he loved Everton so much. He is Everton and Everton is him” – Mick Lyons’ wife

“When we came out for the second half against Bayern Munich the roar literally made my hair stand on end.” - Derek Mountfield

“I’ve been a bluenose all my life and always will be. I’m a very proud and privileged man to be able to say that.” - Derek Mountfield

“I am joining the people’s football club. The majority of people you meet on the street are Everton fans” - David Moyes

“Football was never the same for me after I left Everton, although I always wanted to win, losing never really seemed to hurt anymore.” - Kevin Ratcliffe

“Duncan became a legend before he became a player at Everton.” - Joe Royle

“I began to appreciate how he earned his reputation as a hard man. It was a nice punch, I have to say.” – Paul Scharner after Big Dunc punched him

“I usually just put one finger up signalling a goal, but, it being the Kop, two fingers automatically went up.” - Kevin Sheedy

“Why anyone would want to leave Everton is beyond me anyway. Even for Manchester United, Chelsea or anyone. This is the place to be.” – Neville Southall

“I think I was always going to be an Everton player from the day I was born. There is a certain type of player who is an Everton player” – Neville Southall

“I sit in this room and I know I am surrounded by Evertonians because you are all beautiful people. Kopites are all ugly bastards aren’t they.” - Gordon West

“I’m a Scot by birth and an Evertonian by choice.” - Alex Young

"Liverpool actually offered me more money but I wanted to play for Everton" - Ian Snodin

Not a blue but..."I think it could be 2, 3 or 4-0 to Liverpool. I fear for Everton" Tommy Smith before Joe Royle's first game as manager

“Everton have always been noted for going out on the pitch to play football. We got called the school of science quite rightly. The other lot, the Reds, well they were a gang of butchers. They should have been working in an abattoir. McNab, McKinlay and the Wadsworths, God bless my soul, they’d kick an old woman.” - Dixie Dean

Haha Dixie has said some absolute corkers give my left nut to be around in the 1920's to watch two of the greatest ever sportsmen in bradman and Dixie

"What started as a fling grew into a full-blown affair"

"They really stole my heart when I walked into Goodison Park"

Landon Donovan.

Top post mate. Love the Dixie Dean quotes, although Sheedy's made me laugh the most. “I usually just put one finger up signalling a goal, but, it being the Kop, two fingers automatically went up.”

Superb...

"I miss the place, I miss the football and I miss the derbies. You are a long time retired, I have been retired for five years and it feels like 25. So to the players that are here now, stay in football as long as you can and stay at this Club as long as you can because there is only one way after leaving this Club, and that is down." - Duncan Ferguson

I'm posted home in 2 weeks and have been looking forward to getting back and into a semblence of normality again. That includes going to the match more than once a season or so.

But this thread has seriously got my juices flowing and I just want to get on that plane now and for the dulcet tones of Z Cars to ring in my ears. The Grand Old Lady will almost certainly bring a tear to my eye after 4 long, long years away.

COYB.

"I miss the place, I miss the football and I miss the derbies. You are a long time retired, I have been retired for five years and it feels like 25. So to the players that are here now, stay in football as long as you can and stay at this Club as long as you can because there is only one way after leaving this Club, and that is down." - Duncan Ferguson

The big man is surprisingly eloquent. I imagine it must be good to have him involved in the coaching side of things now.

I love this thread. Dixie Dean obviously had a keen sense of humour, and some of the stuff from Big Nev, the Rat, Sheedy, Gray and Mountfield really stirs my earliest memories of watching Everton. That '84 to '88 period was golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.